Hanover NH - Lodging and Strolling

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strummystick

Reaction score
I'm looking for a comfortable place to stay in an area of Hanover that will be ... 1. close to a PO pickup and laundromat 2. within walking distance of the best downtown strolling/shopping area.
I've have heard that Hanover is a nice place for a hiker off the AT to hang out for a pleasant overnight. Any ideas?

Cheapest thing to do is check on the bulletin board downstairs in Robinson Hall (home of the DOC) to see if any Frats are currently taking in thru-hikers for the night. Officially they usually aren't, but unofficially it's not that difficult to find a place to crash for the night. Don't expect luxury, or even quiet, but you might have some fun.

Otherwise, there's essentially nothing in easy walking distance to the center of Hanover that is cheap. You can try for a single room at the Norwich Inn across the river, but I doubt it is inexpensive. The Chieftain Motor Inn, north of town on Rt 10 is really your only other walking distance option. The Hanover Inn is going to be prohibitably expensive.

-dave-

Many thanks, David. I'm kind of reluctant to let the luck of the bulletin board decide whether I sleep in a bed after a week on the trail, especially since I'm coming in to town on Friday or Saturday night. At the tender age of 51 the Frat boys could also give me a bit of a run for my money. Last night I picked up the "Wingfoot" guide and he says there is an "Orange" bus line that brings me from downtown to the motels about two miles away. Perhaps I'll give that a try.
Open for ideas from others ... ?

Yup, the Orange bus (picks up in frong of the Hop - the only really ugly building along the Green) will take you into West Lebanon where there are a few motels. I don't know it's regularity, but I think there is a schedule attached to post somewhere in front of the Hop. There is also the summer kiosk on the east side of the Green where they will have plenty of good info about it for you.

good luck

spencer

Not much lodging in the Hanover area will be inexpensive as it's mainly geared to parents, alums, and the summer tourist crowd that clusters around the "artsy" Cornish NH and "antiquey" Woodstock VT area. There's a Days Inn in W. Lebanon for about $120/night. You'd need to bus over to that. In walking distance are the Norwich Inn about 3 miles across the river in VT and the Chieftain Motel (Motor Inn), about 2 miles north on Rt. 10 in NH. Judging from its dining room, the Norwich Inn will be expensive (although it's worth heading over there for a good meal). The Chieftain "economy" rooms run around a $100 per night. There may be a minimum night stay on weekends deoending on when you'll be there.

Another option is to take the orange line bus bus over to White River Junction, which does have a wider array of less expensive motels than Hanover and Norwich.

While you're strolling Hanover, check out the "new" (renovated) Dartmouth bookstore on the main street. It now has a Starbucks cafe on the ground floor, and they're more than happy to let you browse a book while you get your java. There are two passable Indian restaurants downtown, and the Co-op has excellent food supplies (including a big variety of dried foods). I often get good backpacking dinner supplies there. Free internet in the new Baker/Berry library (beyond the green), which is open almost 24/7. You don't need a card to get to the computer terminals in the open reference area.

Last edited:
I recently saw a post on Whiteblaze.net on a new hostel in the Hanover area. It is out of town but he offers a shuttle. I seem to remember that due to the cost of the shuttle it is not economical for one person but might be worth checking out if you are in a group.

Waumbek said:
There's a Days Inn in W. Lebanon for about $120/night. You'd need to bus over to that. In walking distance are the Norwich Inn about 3 miles across the river in VT and the Chieftain Motel (Motor Inn), about 2 miles north on Rt. 10 in NH. Judging from its dining room, the Norwich Inn will be expensive (although it's worth heading over there for a good meal).

We stayed in the Norwich Inn last summer or the summer before, I can't remember, but it turned out to be the best value of the motels we checked. I think it was $130 or less for a big room with private bath on the second floor. A really comfortable, beautiful place. We ate in the bar one night, which was nice. It was maybe a five minute drive into Hanover.

hangover nh lodging

there's nothing on the bulletin board here and the frats aren't puttin' up people off the street. there's only 1 frat puttin' up 4 thru-hikers per night,with strict guidelines. didn't check out the hostel,too far outta town,although the bus system is quick and efficient. good luck!
:D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
These judgments always depend on the size of your pocketbook, but I’ve become a fan of the Norwich Inn after being introduced to it by a friend who stops in every Friday night. They have a half-dozen or so “motel” units in the back that are quite reasonable (I can’t remember exact prices, but I’m sure they are just a call away). The bar is a great place to eat, the beer made by the innkeeper/brewer is, for my money, among the best American microbrews, and the help is friendly. An IPA on the veranda is a great, gentle pleasure. There are tables and chairs outdoors as well. Hang around for a while and you’ll realize that the place is a close American approximation of that wonderful British institution, the local. Cheap? No. Value for money? Yes. A good choice for a bit of a splurge.

(By the way, I’d say the Norwich Inn is a mile and a half from the Green, not three miles. Lots of people walk or bike back and forth, and there is a regular free bus making the rounds. Pick it up in front of Parkhurst [near Robinson, the DOC building], I think.)

Hotel Coolidge

What about the hostel rooms at the Hotel Coolidge in White River Junction, Vermont? It's less than five miles south of Hanover and they have beds for $29/night, $19 a night if you're a Hosteling International member.
Hotel Coolidge
39 South Main Street - White River Junction, VT 05001
802 295 3118 - 800 622 1124

Good, cheaper restaurants nearby and live theater in the building adjacent to the hotel.

Thank you all for the specific and helpful info. Gotta love these forums!
That Coolidge Hotel in White River Junction looks promising ( on NORTH Main Street, however). I called them and they also have fancier "guest rooms" with A/C for $69 a night ($79 for two) and they are on the FREE!!!!Advance Transit bus line (802.295-1824) from the Hanover Green area.
It kind of hits me that Hanover might be one of those places that has upscaled itself to the point where it isn't all that easy to come in off the trail and walk around to lodging and easy shopping.
Has anybody had experience hitching down and back from White River Junction? Do the police object?, and are rides quick to get with a pack on your back?

Last edited:
Strummy, I've given rides to people with big packs in that area, and if classes are in session (they're virtually year-round) lots of Dartmouth kids have wheels, so you'll probably do OK. Good luck. Oh yes, how could I forget: Ben & Jerry's is nearby on the street that tees with the bookstore street!

No knowledge about likelihood of successful hitching, but I've been told the Coolidge is cool. "Downtown" WRJ is now a little off the beaten track because of the road configuration that resulted from 91 going through. This means relatively little traffic, but slower and mostly local, which could be good. If you stay there, you have easy access to the Polka Dot Diner, a classic that used to be a 24/7 operation serving passengers and workers on the once very active railroad. It's reopened after a hiatus, and is worth a visit. You'd also be within hiker's walking distance of the Four Aces, another classic diner, though a little more self-conscious about it, just across the Connecticut River in West Lebanon, NH.

Talking of this area reminds me of the Shady Rest Motel, across the White River in Hartford (WRJ is actually part of Hartford). I don't know what their rates are, but the new roads bypass it and it looks as if it should be reasonable.

Strummystick said:
It kind of hits me that Hanover might be one of those places that has upscaled itself to the point where it isn't all that easy to come in off the trail and walk around to lodging and easy shopping.
It hasn't been easy to get cheap lodging in Hanover for a long time. The old Occum Hostel was closed back in the mid-80's, and at the time it was the only reasonably priced lodging in town. That's why the frats have been the mainstay lodging for thru-hikers.
Has anybody had experience hitching down and back from White River Junction? Do the police object?, and are rides quick to get with a pack on your back?
It shouldn't be very difficult, but I'd start hitching on Rt 5 in Norwich.

-dave-