Harriman State Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harriman SP

Jay H mentioned something about bushwhacking in HSP as being frowned on- well it is more then just frowned on. It is not allowed by the PIPC (Palisade Interstate Park Commission). But alot of people do it, FYI. Also hiking on the "unmarked" trails is not allowed as they are not maintained and are not always that clear to follow.

There has been alot of breakins of cars but they do come in spurts. Mostly cars are broken into and valuables removed- but, hey, if you are taking public transportation this is not a problem.

I have wriiten about having some negative experience, but truth be told they are left far behind by the many more positve experiences that I have had. HSP is my backyard, and I play there all the time. :)

Early April is a fine time to go, but you will see people, especially in the Bear Mountain SP, this is a popular area. If you do decide to stay at the West Mountain leanto, bring water with you as the water source up there is a vernal pool (which as it's name type suggests is fullest in the spring), but I would think twice before using this water.

Soco7tyx7 where do you live? If you are living on Long Island the stated travel times will be longer as they are probably stated with NYC as the starting point, and not on the Island. There are places to hike and camp (only in state campsites for a fee, I believe) on Long Island. The Long Island Chapter of the ADK will know more, also check out gov. websites.

Now you should have all the information that you should need- you have the benefit of some very knowledgable people's advise- so get out there and go to it! And don't forget to let us know how your trip went. been

Fire Island National Seashore has backcountry camping year round. The only place on L.I to do so that I am aware of.

Always thought heading out there in a snowstorm would be a good approximation of being above treeline.

woodstrider said:
Jay H mentioned something about bushwhacking in HSP as being frowned on- well it is more then just frowned on. It is not allowed by the PIPC (Palisade Interstate Park Commission).

I'm not sure whether or not this is true........ if it is then it's another example of a completely absurd law that begs to be broken. Is going off trail to look at a grave, ruin, tree, or waterfall considered bushwacking by the PIPC? What about going off trail to pee in the woods? How many feet or meters off trail does one have to go before your hike officially becomes a bushwack?

How could a law like this possibly be enforced?

i didnt mean to confuse anyone, i didnt mean last hike as in being killed. i'm certainly not worried about that, i meant as in a bad experience. as for hiking on L.I. i havent found much and i've been to fire island, i rather have woods to hike in. i've already worked out the transportation, since i am residing in Central Islip, so thats not really a problem cuz i go to the city almost every weekend. i was only curious about crime b/c of my father being wary that the park is close to the City. i never even noticed the bus stop on the east side of the park, this looks like a better option in terms of water sources and the possibility of shortening the trip as previously mentioned. i'm planning on staying the whole weekend so i rather not carry that much water with me. thanx for the tips everyone, i'll post any more questions if i have them (which i probably will) and i'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes. sorry to be a bother, didnt anticipate having so many questions but i'm happy that there's a place to get answers. thanx!

Soco, check this out http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/record/041005.html
If you take the path train from NYC to Hoboken and see the schedule for NJT at www.njtransit.com for Suffern to Port Jervis line you can get off at Tuxedo and follow the above hike (and add to it once you get the maps that John pointed out.) Parker Cabin Mt and Tom Jones Mt from this area would extend this hike and I don't think you will have any problems with people for when you plan to make the trip.

Freddy, Good Questions. If the Rangers paid more attention to people cutting live trees for firewood or restricted some trails in winter as "Snowshoe Only" we would all be better off.

Oh yea, if anyone is interested, permits for wilderness canoe or kayaking go on sale today until April 1st(NYS Fishing Lic needed). Starting April 1st permits for the other lakes go on sale.

The PIPC is also fairly restrictive on boating/kayaking in the park, other than the explicite lakes that are listed on the permit, you cannot kayak in any of the others, like pine meadow, etc. I've kayaked all the legal lakes there except for Island Pond (you need a fishing license in addition to the permit) and Lake Welsh (haven't gotten there yet)).

Kanawauke and Tiorati are my favorites, though Sebago is good for those who are into racing (long narrow section between the launch and the beach area to get some speed). Tiorati has a bunch of islands you can somewhat eat lunch on. It is technically illegal to practice rolling and stuff since the rules prohibit swimming (other than at the designated beach areas). In fact, you are not permitted closer to 100ft (???) to islands and the shore (other than the launch area) so my little lunch on an island in Tiorati is probably illegal. Ha!

The only places I've seen rangers is in the parking lots, so don't do any bushwacking, kayaking, or swimming, in the parking lots and you are fine. ;)

Jay

Iceberg, dead ahead!

Hey, that's pretty neat... You should get like a 100 of them and float them out there, make it look like a Delaware river iceflow. Just make sure you do it in August in the 80deg heat and you'll have the rangers shaking their heads!

Jay