Heading Into the Woods Without a Plan (28-Oct-2011)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Have you ever done something that is difficult to explain to someone, including yourself? For example, have you ever headed into the woods with merely a sketchy idea as to where you might go? It's rare that I embark upon a hike with a wishy-washy game plan, but that is what I did on this late autumn day of 28-Oct-2011.

Depending upon how much time remained after finishing up some errands in the Gorham area, I had in mind that I'd do a hike of some sort. With less than 5 hours of daylight remaining, I pulled into the huge parking lot at the Appalachia trailhead. I had my choice of parking spots since only three other cars were there!

Now that I'd arrived at a trailhead, it was time to formulate some semblance of a plan! One thing I knew for certain was that the high peaks would be excluded from today's agenda. Not only wasn't there enough time, but also I didn't have the proper equipment with me for this type of adventure at this time of year. After some quick deliberation, I opted to begin my hike on the Brookbank Trail since that was a trail that I'd never hiked. This route traverses the east bank of Snyder Brook and leads you to three named waterfalls, i.e. Gordon, Salroc, and Tama. Of those three, the best photos I got were of Gordon and Tama which are shown below.

Gordon Fall
Gordon.jpg

Tama Fall
Tama.jpg

Once the Brookbank Trail ended above Tama Falls, I decided to jump onto the Valley Way and head southward, but there was still no firm game plan in mind. Upon coming to the junction where I could head eastward onto the Inlook Trail, I decided to take that option. January 2009 was the last time I'd been on this trail, and so it seemed like a good time to make a return visit. And besides, if I wasn't going to the high peaks today, at least I could get a look at Mts. Madison and Adams from the ledges at the upper end of this trail.

The weather forecast called for mostly sunny blue skies, but that didn't quite happen in the heavens above the high peaks in the northern Presidential Range. Instead, the sky was predominately overcast and moody. Also, there were gusty winds, not only at the ledges along the Inlook Trail, but certainly at the higher elevations as well. The plumes of white that are seen in the next photo were caused by the wind tossing snow into the air. That is not mist arising from the mountains!

InlookVu.jpg

After visiting the ledges on the Outlook Trail, I rambled over to Dome Rock to take in the views toward the Crescent Range and the Mahoosucs. From here, the vista left little doubt that the colorful scenes of autumn are gone, disappeared, vanished . . . however you want to say it! What many call "stick season" is now here with all its muted shades of tan and brown (next photo).

AutumnBrown.jpg

Well, since I still had a few hours of daylight remaining, I opted to continue onward from Dome Rock by taking the Kelton Trail southward with the thought of eventually working my way to a waterfall I'd never visited, i.e. Duck Fall (located at the point where the Watson Path crosses Snyder Brook). It was a relatively short and easy trek to get to this spot. Although this waterfall was attractive, it was, how shall we say it . . . small!

DuckFall.jpg

By now it was getting late in the day, and I so I decided it was time to start meandering northward back to the trailhead. I retraced my steps along the Watson Path and followed it to the junction with the Valley Way. I stopped here to consider if I should simply end my wandering journey and head directly for the trailhead, or embark upon another short sidetrack adventure. It occurred to me that during all my treks in the northern Presidentials, I'd never taken the time to visit the Durand Scar. Since it was just a short distance away, the decision was made to go for it! And so, I crossed over the Valley Way and continued on the Watson Path to the Scar Trail, and then took the Scar Loop Trail.

From the Scar Loop Trail I got another nice view of Mts. Madison and Adams that was similar to the vista I'd seen earlier in the day from the ledges on the Inlook Trail. However, by this time the gusty winds had subsided and the plumes of wind-driven snow were no longer seen. The next snapshot shows a vista from the Scar Loop Trail.

DurandScarVu.jpg

Okay, after visiting the Durand Scar, it was definitely time to skedaddle back to the trailhead. From the Scar Trail, I joined the Valley Way and followed it for quite some distance. But, merely for the sake of doing one last thing that was just a little bit different, I decided to leave the Valley Way and use the combination of the Beechwood Way and Airline Trail as the final approach to the trailhead.

All along my route, there were definite signs of the approaching winter season, such as trailside icicles, and a light coating of snow underfoot (next photo).

LateAutumnTrails.jpg

Speaking of my route, it's doubtful that anyone would want to replicate it. However, for anyone who might have a passing interest or curiosity, my route is highlighted on the map that is shown below. As can be seen, I ended up doing sort of an elongated "figure 8" loop hike, which covered a distance of about 6 miles.

Map.jpg

To sum it up, although this wasn't a well-planned hike, it was still an enjoyable romp in the woods, and it provided an opportunity to visit a few spots that were new to me. This unplanned and meandering trek was largely enabled by the Randolph Mountain Club's vast network of interconnecting trails. When hiking their trail system, rarely can it be said that "you can't get there from here"!:)

Last edited:
I like the small waterfall, John. Very nice photo.

I very often leave my driveway on my bicycle with no particular plan in mind... so I understand on some level... Those are some of my favorite rides because I make turns whenever the mood strikes me.

Tim

Very nice John, and great photos as always. That's one of the beauties of solo hiking- being able to just wander without having to seek consensus.....

good stuff
Petch

Nice! I love that maze of RMC trails.

I always leave home with a plan but often abandon it if I drive by a trailhead that "calls out" to me. Bad solo hiker.
-vegematic

Tim and PETCH: Perhaps you're both saying sort of the same thing. I totally agree that solo hiking (or solo biking) has its merits. But, of course, hiking with friends & family also has its merits. So overall, a little bit of this + a little bit of that = a good recipe!

Sometimes when you can't make up your mind, a good start is just getting out there and putting one foot in front of the other!!
I always leave home with a plan but often abandon it if I drive by a trailhead that "calls out" to me.
Una_Dogger and Vegematic: Hopefully I'm not misinterpreting, but maybe both of you are sort of saying that things can sometimes get "over-planned".
There are times when it's better to just do it! You can include me as a fan of that approach!;):D

Yvon: Thank you for your nice words!

Last edited:
Good points John, and everybody else too. Let's face it, when we go into the woods without a "plan", "agenda", even a specific "goal", they can be some of the best jaunts ever. A hike need not be deemed successful or enjoyable just because we reach a specific point or peak, but results more in the unencumbered wanderings of both mind and body, leaving ourselves more open to explore and see things we may normally have passed by, instead of writing them off as a mere trivial encounter.

I just can't believe you followed a trail network this time!:D

Hey Scott . . . thanks for your comments, which are very insightful, as always!

Regarding me staying on a trail network for this entire trek, sometimes it's a nice change of pace to stay on the "yellow brick road"!;):)

Speaking of my route, it's doubtful that anyone would want to replicate it. However, for anyone who might have a passing interest or curiosity, my route is highlighted on the map that is shown below. As can be seen, I ended up doing sort of an elongated "figure 8" loop hike, which covered a distance of about 6 miles.

Map.jpg

To sum it up, although this wasn't a well-planned hike, it was still an enjoyable romp in the woods, and it provided an opportunity to visit a few spots that were new to me. This unplanned and meandering trek was largely enabled by the Randolph Mountain Club's vast network of interconnecting trails. When hiking their trail system, rarely can it be said that "you can't get there from here"!:)

Don't assume that John! That looks like a great hike to me, especially with the mood of the mtns changing from peaceful and serene, to moody and mean. :) My hiking gear doesn't let me really get up there in elevation during the winter, unless its an exceptionally mild winter day, which is still COLD!

Great photos, thanks very much for sharing this trip.

. . . That looks like a great hike to me, especially with the mood of the mtns changing from peaceful and serene, to moody and mean. :) My hiking gear doesn't let me really get up there in elevation during the winter, unless its an exceptionally mild winter day . . .
Well, anytime you're looking for a low-elevation hike (winter or summer), then the trail system there at Appalachia is certainly a place to consider. Thanks to the abundance of interconnecting trails at that location, there are numerous loops that can be created (either pre-planned, or constructed "on the fly";):))

John, isn't the Inlook/Kelton trail a special one? I too have recently taken an unplanned trip there! A friend and I accidentally missed the first crossing of Sylvan Way and headed up Fallsway, when we were trying to make a loop out of Howker Ridge from Appalachia. Once we noticed our mistake, rather than backtrack a mile, we just decided to "wing it" and head up Inlook/Kelton. It was one of the more pleasant surprises I've had in the mountains! The ledges were covered in blueberries in July, and the views down so low on the mountain for so long really give a feeling of being at a much higher elevation. The section of trail between the "Dome Rock" and Watson/Valley Way intersection was very beautiful too, and relatively gentle for the location. Waterfalls, views, varied terrain and flora, this one really has it all. Great TR.

I think after seeing your pictures and reading your TR, many more people will want to try this approach. Honestly, it's a hidden gem. Don't assume anything! Brookbank>Fallsway>Inlook>Kelton>Watson is truly special. I feel like I shouldn't speak it too loud, because part of the magic of the trail is the moss...

Edit: Found a picture to compare. The flow was much gentler mid summer. Dare I say it's worth doing in all seasons. :O

IMG_20110724_103047.jpg

Last edited:
John, I really love this trip report. The spontaneity and your traveling on some trails you have never been on bring a sense of suspense to the report! Your pictures of the waterfalls and the views up to the higher peaks are wonderful.

Did you know a lot of these landmarks (i.e. Duck Falls, etc.) were in the area? Or did you happen by them on move and research them after? I think your knowledge of the NH back-country is incredible. I can only hope to get in the woods as much as you and see the things that you have seen in this great State.

Karl

Jacob: Thanks for taking time to post a comparison photo of the falls, and also thanks for the kind words about my TR . . . much appreciated!

Karl: Thank you for your compliment about my knowledge of the NH back-country. I guess all things are relative, but my familiarity pales in comparison to folks like Steve Smith (+many others who post on this Forum).

Regarding your question about whether I knew of the landmarks (like Duck Falls) prior to my hike, yes I did, and had previously visited many of them, EXCEPT for Duck Falls and Durand Scar. It was great to visit a couple of places that were new . . . well, at least new to me!:)

Last edited: