Headlamps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
I seem to have misplaced my Tikki headlamp, :mad: and am looking for a replacement. I am planning on doing some night hiking in the near future, any suggestions for what to replace it with? When I purchased it it was the newest smallest and brighetest one I could find, now there are SOOO many choices.
Any suggestions are welcome. Looking for something bright enough to hike with, adjustable so I can read in the tent with it, and smaller is better.

Thanks in advance.
Christine

I can't help you with the newer lights, other than my old Petzls and a small LED Princeton Tech Aurora (Which I really like), but perhaps I can help with your search for your Tikka.

As far as where your Tikka might be, did you pull your tent out and look in the tent pockets? I have found that sometimes compasses and small headlights get tucked away for a month of so after a trip. I also find a surprising amount of lost stuff in the outside zip pockets of my daypacks, which is usually my last resort in searching (and has now become my first resort :) )

Last edited:
Tikka XP

I bought the new Tikka XP about month ago and it is pretty nice. It does weigh a tad more than the Tikka +, but you also get more usable light. As well it can be used for long distance viewing, but also has a diffuser that gives excellent proximity lighting equal to that of the Tikka +. The 20 second burst mode is pretty sweet to considering that it allows you to check out something off in the distance without having to cycle through the lighting levels to find the correct brightness. No ideas on battery life yet, but I have used it for two night hikes lasting 2-3 hours each and I have not noticed any significant loss of power.

Happy Shopping... :D

I'm partial to the Princeton Tec Aurora if you are looking for a headlamp similar to the Tikka. Three intensities and all the electronics and batts are contained in a single waterproof housing on one's forehead. 3 AAA batts. 3 low power LEDs. Good for reading in bed (just a single strap behind one's head).

If you are interested in a brighter light, I like the BD Zenix IQ--it has 3 low beams (similar in intensity to the Aurora) and 3 high beams. 3 AA batts in a battery pack behind one's head. 2 low power LEDs and one high (1W) power LED. Only water resistant. Not good for reading in bed due to batt pack. Circuitry contains a regulator which keeps the intensity constant as the batteries wear down. (Also gives full intensity from 1.25 volt NiMH batts.)

Doug

Last edited:
Doug, I've been wondering how well headlamps would work with the rechargeable batts. What sort of difference is there in the burn time? How about cold weather?

Thanks.

Rechargeable Batteries

I have used rechargeable batteries in my headlamps and it is obvious to see the difference. I did not notice that the burn time decreased, but more that the light did not shine as bright. However, for the overall cost savings and environmental bene's, I use them for trips when I know I am not going to be hiking much at night.

I would not mess with them if I were going to be out in the dark for extended periods.

You might consider the Tactikka or Tactikka Plus. Both feature a red lens you can flip up over the LEDs. It preserves your night vision while giving you enough light for minor, close up tasks, and it's kind to others in the tent/shelter/cabin when you're looking for your sleeping bag.

linehant said:
Doug, I've been wondering how well headlamps would work with the rechargeable batts. What sort of difference is there in the burn time? How about cold weather?
I frequently use NiMH rechargables in my headlamps, winter or summer. Short answer: fine, long answer below.

A quick summary of the characteristics of the 3 most common batt types:
* NiMH:
- 1.25 V
- rectangular discharge curve
- medium low temp performance
- heavy
- good high current capability
- limited shelf life (several months)
* Lithium (nonrechargable):
- 1.5 V
- rectangular discharge curve
- good low temp performance
- light weight
- good high current capability
- long shelf life: 10+ yrs
* Alkaline:
- 1.5 V initial voltage
- tapering discharge curve
- poor low temp performance
- medium weight
- poor high current capability
- long shelf life 5+ yrs

(A rectangular discharge curve means that the battery voltage stayes relatively constant until the cell is exhausted. A tapering curve means that the voltage goes down as the cell is used.)

All of the above battery technologies (except for alkaline in the cold) are fine for most headlamps. The intensity using alkalines will taper off as the cell is used. The intensity using lithiums will stay full until nearly the end and then dimish rapidly (a few minutes). The NiMHs may start a little dimmer (due to the lower voltage), but will hold their intensity until they get near the end.

Many LED headlamps with multiple intensity settings will perform as above. The BD Zenix IQ and Princeton Tec Matrix also include a regulator circuit that keeps constant intensity at a range of voltages (at the cost of drawing more current at the lower voltages) so they will give the same intensity with all of the above voltages.

Burn time? All 3 battery technologies store a similar amount of energy (AA ~2500mAh, AAA ~800mAh) but may dole it out differently. NiMHs and lithiums maintain full intensity for a medium duration. For instance, for my Princeton Tec Aurora with lithium or NiMH AAA batts:
hi ....... 200mA ..... 4 hrs
med .. 100mA ..... 8 hrs
low ...... 40mA ..... 20 hrs
The rediculously long burn times listed on LED lights for alkaline batts also feature a greatly reduced intensity as the batts discharge. The lifetime is determined by your tolerance for a weak light...

Shelf life is important for applications like emergency lights which are likely to sit unused for a long time or low drain applications like smoke detectors. For applications like a weekend hike, one can top off the charge in an NiMH battery just before going.

High current capability is important for applications like digital cameras which have high drain for short periods of time. (Alkaline is a poor choice here at any temp.)

Low temp: NiMHs and lithiums are fine for most winter hiking. I typically carry NiMHs in my headlamp and lithium spares. Covers me in all temps (and keeps the weight down). If I want to minimze the weight, I'll carry only lithiums. Same for my GPS and digital camera.

BTW, Lion (lithium ion, rechargable) batteries, found in many digital cameras, has medium low temp performance and light weight.

Doug

Last edited:
Mad Townie said:
You might consider the Tactikka or Tactikka Plus. Both feature a red lens you can flip up over the LEDs. It preserves your night vision while giving you enough light for minor, close up tasks, and it's kind to others in the tent/shelter/cabin when you're looking for your sleeping bag.
The red lens works, but it is much more efficient just to use a light with a red LED. Unfortunaly, there aren't many headlamps with a red LED option.

In my experience, the damage due to a low intensity white light (sometimes reduced by shielding the light with my hand) is acceptable for hiking. Night flying or nautical navigation, however, is another story. (Nautical charts are designed to be read under red or white light.)

Doug

Neil said:
A very in depth review of HL's and batteries to bre found here:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5036&highlight=headlamp
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3952

I love the BD Zenix IQ and don't begrudge the weight one bit. Poor for reading due to the battery pack as Dougpaul stated but try skiing downhill along a trail or an old woods road with it and you'll be instantly convinced! If you want a LED that casts a beam for any distance then get this one!
IMO, the Princeton Tec Aurora (3 low intensity LEDs, 3 intensity settings) or equivalent is adequate for an easy-to-follow trail or XC skiing a clear path on the level. However, if fast skiing is involved, I have had good luck with the Princeton Tech Yukon HL (1W LED, focusable). Haven't tried my BD Zenix IQ (1W LED, fixed beam) skiing yet, but I expect it to work almost as well. I do like its range: 3 low wide beam settings matching the Aurora along with 3 bright narrow beam settings. The regulator circuit that gives full intensity with NiMH batts is also nice.

The Petzl Myo XP may be the brightest LED hiking headlamp commonly available. 3W LED, 3 intensities, fixed beam, driven up to 1.7W (highest continuous setting, limted by a small heat sink). Battery ( AA) life might be a little short...

Now if you want a serious headlamp, talk to the cavers...

Doug

Last edited:
I have the Tikka Plus and love it! It's light weight, simple to use, has 4 leds, and 4 light settings (the batterys last extremely long with the blinking mode).

I'd recommend any of the Petzl line but am partial to the "Pluses" since it's nice to be able tot have different beams and save battery life when you're just reading in your bag. If you want lighter you can get the Zipka Plus which is the same as the Tikka minus the regular strap.

As for the brightness - I have road biked in pitch darkness on unlit roads with my Tikka (25mph+) and I can vouch that the strong beam would definitively be plenty good for safe night hiking.

I agree with Neil.

I recently purchased and used the Black Diamond Zenix IQ and while using the low setting, shed more light on the trail than both my hiking partners combined.

Battery life is excellent

OTOH, it's a bit on the heavy side and I was suprised by the price tag.

Info can be found here

For winter use consider a light with a separate battery pack which you can put under clothing. The batteries will stay warm and you wont absolutely need to go to lithium if you are going to be out for a while.

I have a Petzl duo which takes 4C batteries. Most of the time that is way too much electricity for my needs so I bought some adapters that make an AA battery assume the size of a C battery.

I personally would avoid a headlamp which takes a special battery you can't find at a Stewart's or local grocery.

A light that holds a spare bulb somewhere inside its housing is safer, but most people I know carry one of those cheap led keychain lamps as a backup.

I use the Moonlight, a 4 led headlamp, with the battery pack at the back of the head. Once I tried the back battery pack I loved it. The Black Diamond Zenix that Neil recommends also has the back battery pack. Sounds like a good light.

One important thing to carry is a spare headlamp. I carry an Ion which weighs about 15 grams.

Neil said:
One important thing to carry is a spare headlamp.
Agreed, even if the spare is only to have some light to fix the first. When solo, I carry 3. Spare batteries don't hurt, either. (Lithiums are very light.)

I typically carry my Zenix IQ or Yukon HL for my big light and an Aurora as a backup or low intensity light. (Add one more Aurora if solo.)

The caver's rule is to carry a minimum of 3 lights.

If the headlamp has a back of the head battery pack, one can wear a hat or balaclava over it to keep the batteries warm. Or just use lithiums--they should work to -40 or so.

Doug

Another strong vote for the Aurora. Light, good range of brightness adjustments, adjustable angle, waterproof, affordable, etc. Have used and abused a couple of these in our family with total satisfaction, including a couple of hikes that started in the very wee hours of the morning (so I can say that they really are adequate for trail use in full dark).

The best things about lithium cells are their shelf life (almost eternal) and their light weight. The AAA Li cells seem pricey, though, and the Eveready e2 Millenium cells have a shelf life that's almost as good and another 1000 mAh of current (compared to the 1250 mAh rating for the regular alkaline and the Li AAAs). The self-discharge rate on NiMH cells is ferocious, and the AAA cells are relatively low capacity, so they do not yet rate a place in my pack for headlamp use.

JNewell said:
The best things about lithium cells are their shelf life (almost eternal) and their light weight. The AAA Li cells seem pricey, though, and the Eveready e2 Millenium cells have a shelf life that's almost as good and another 1000 mAh of current (compared to the 1250 mAh rating for the regular alkaline and the Li AAAs).
Be very careful about comparing capacity ratings of different cells. There are no standards for measuring capacity (at what current? what is the cutoff voltage? etc) so manufacturers have incentive to play whatever games make their product look good. (Measuring at a lower discharge current generally gives a higher capacity number.) Unless the current loadings are similar to your application, the numbers may not mean much. LEDs are also a highly non-linear load (no current up to ~3.5-4.0V, then rapidly rising as the voltage increases). This interacts with the battery type (as hinted in my post with the "long answer" in this thread. Akaline battery lifetimes in LED lights can be rediculously long (weeks) if one doesn't care how dim the light gets. Again there are no standards here so a manufacturer can get essentially any lifetime by changing the test. In contrast, lithiums and NiMHs will tend to provide a contant intensity until exhaused and then will drop off rapidly.

A set of consistent tests is posted in
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM. The current used in these tests was ~1A which is a better match to digital cameras than LED headlamps. (My Aurora draws 40--220mA.)

The self-discharge rate on NiMH cells is ferocious, and the AAA cells are relatively low capacity, so they do not yet rate a place in my pack for headlamp use.
Disagree here--the self discharge varies with cell technology and temp, but numbers on the order of 50-70% charge left after 1 month are not uncommon. Not a good choice for a long shelf-life application like an emergency flashlight, clock, or smoke detector, but fine for an application where one can top off the cells shortly before using them.

The capacities of alkaline, NiMH and lithium AA cells are all fairly similar--I believe this is also true of AAA cells.

I routinely use NiMH cells in my headlamps, digital camera, and GPS for weekend trips. I've had no problems winter or summer. In fact my expensive lithiums have been doing backup duty for several years without being used. I use them in many other things too--a great money saver over non-rechargable cells.

More than you probably want to know about batteries can be found in http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm.

Doug

Last edited: