Heat Illness and Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MEB....thanks for sharing your story---as you can see there are many others who are sharing so that still others don't need to learn the hard way--I've been there too......I did the very first AIDS ride from Boston to NY....I felt fine all three days--110, 80 and 100 miles.....when I finished I was thoroughly sick--shaking and vomitting. Never want to feel that way again!!

I know for me, in the past, my ego would not allow me to ask hiking partners to slow down or take a break. If I felt sick, I would just push on.

Yesterday I did 23 plus miles with other VFTT'ers. At the start it was HOT and HUMID (poured later, cooler) and there were a few steep ascents. As I have nothing to prove to anyone (and my ego has calmed down a bit), I just took my time on the uphill. We made an agreement at the start of the hike that we would stay within eyeshot of one another. Those in front would stop and wait for the slower ones and allow them (ok, us) a quick break. I think it's important to take care of ourselves AND lookout for our hiking partners as well........

Healthy hiking to all!!!!.....Jade

To everyone who posted on this forum. Thank you for not letting me feel like I was alone. I was out hiking in PA and cannot ever remember feeling so horrible on one climb - especially not wanting to eat and feeling a bit nauseous (spelling) and my heart racing a bit. :eek:
Waumbeck thanks for that link!!!

Great Information!

Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much for all your replys. I think there are a lot of factors that play into how you feel on any particular day and its important to be aware of your body and what its telling you and to listen to it!

The second day of the trip my sister stayed behind me and made me stop every so often to drink, rest and eat...what a difference on how it made me feel!

-MEB

Rik said:
I wondered this as well since I use bug dope about once a year and Saturday was my once and I ended up sick. Could be coincidence but I'm curious about what related info might be out there.

You might have some sort of chemical sensitivities. I know I do. Certain combinations of cleansers, perfumes, and tobacco really set me off...... make me nauseous if there isn't adequate ventilation.

If you already have a sensitivity to DEET or other chemicals the added stress from the heat and exertion could set a reaction off in your body.

I'm doing the Hancocks tomorrow so this was a nice "reminder" thread for me. Thanks for putting that top-of-mind, where it should be this time of year.

Also, the new AMC Outdoors came today. Havent read it yet but they list an article "How To Prevent Heat Stroke" which looks like it might be worth a read.

thanks,
denton fabrics

I can relate to MEB's condition because, well, I was there. :)

I felt nearly as bad the first day. I chose to skip a side trip and just kept moving, very slowly, drinking almost continuously. I hated hiking alone like that but I knew that if I was with the group I'd try to pace them and just fall over. When I got to one summit I had dry heaves, quite violently. I count myself as very lucky that when we got to camp, after some time in the shade being mellow, I was able to feel better, get my appetite back, and recover.

Hyperthermia is just as bad as hypothermia; it's a good thing that it's easier to find shade on the summer mountain than to find warmth on the winter peak...

A bit on sunscreen

Once again, lending on my experience biking .... I use sunscreen all the time for biking long trips. If you start getting a sunburn, it will sap your energy too - not sure of the physiology, but it does for sure. I have survived 192 mile weekend rides with temps at 95 and 99 each day. Of course, drinking plenty of water and resting before you are "bonked".

Acclimatizing

Hydration is key when we're out there hiking in the heat but long before that it is also important to acclimatize to exercising in the heat by, natch, exercising in the heat, but at a 50% or less level of intensity and length until tolerance to the heat is built. "Hell week" football practice in late August starts with athletes getting used to working out in the outdoor heat in July. There was an old rule-of-thumb that I can't remember about how many exercise sessions that raise total body sweat one should do to acclimatize. This may be a factor for people who exercise in air-conditioned gyms with lower humidity or who work in AC during the week and then hit the hot and humid weather outdoors climbing trails on weekends. The key to all conditioning, heat or otherwise, is to start at low intensity and duration and build. Easy to say, hard to do when summer comes and the trails are out there waiting.

Here's a bit more information to add to Waumbek's last post....according to my NOL's first aid book "To become acclimatized to a hot environment the body requires 1 1/2 to 2 hours of exercise in the heat daily for approximately 10 days to 2 weeks. To remain acclimatized requires 1 1/2 to 2 hours of exercise per week."

-MEB

MEB said:
Here's a bit more information to add to Waumbek's last post....according to my NOL's first aid book "To become acclimatized to a hot environment the body requires 1 1/2 to 2 hours of exercise in the heat daily for approximately 10 days to 2 weeks. To remain acclimatized requires 1 1/2 to 2 hours of exercise per week."
-MEB

Thanks. That's it. I have a regular route of minor summits around here that I try to hike very early in the morning or evening to get ready for the HHH. At 40 and 50 I didn't bother. Now I have to think about it. Kinda fun although it's so easy to let other things get in the way.

Last edited:
Heat

I had Heat Stroke back in '89, when I was in the Military. I had been drinking water, but finally collapsed in the early afternoon. I was rushed to the hospital with a temperature of 106.7, for 2 hours, until it finally came back down due to being put in a bed of ice. I lost 15 pounds in 10 days while in the hospital, it really messed me up.

Last weekend I hiked from Route 26 in Grafton to the South Arm Road, most of the time the temperature was in the mid 90's and I had a 45 pound pack. I found that taking a drink of water every 100' of elevation gain (or thereabouts, but I hike with an altimiter) really made a difference, and made the peaks pass much quicker. Baldpate and Moody Mountains would have been terrible if I'd have just "straight shot" hiked them, but breaking them up made them a lot easier.

I love the Gu, it really works for a pick me up.

Lawn Sale said:
I found that taking a drink of water every 100' of elevation gain
Drinking periodically, whether you do it by distance or time, works better than waiting for thirst to drive you to drink. If done properly, you should never become thirsty (which indicates that you are already somewhat dehydrated).

In winter, I make a point of stopping to eat and drink, at least once an hour. In summer, I carry a 3/4 liter bottle (water or electrolyte) in a pocket and take a sip every few minutes. Don't even have to break stride. A bladder works too.

Doug

A statement in the Jul/Aug AMC Outdoors GORP section (p.9) prompts this reply here.

"High tech microfiber clothes help wick away sweat while you exercise, making you cooler."

This, in my mind, is not the final word in heat management in hot weather.

Water cools you as it evaporates, that's why we perspire. Wicking it away too fast provides a short term cooling effect but that is lost as soon as the evaporation is complete.

Cotton holds water longer, providing a longer evaporation period, and is generally the preferred fiber in hot dry weather and most certainly in deserts.

What is most effective AND most comfortable is a matter of the conditions and individual preference. "Cotton Kills" is an appropriate rule of thumb against hypothermia but not pertinent to hyperthermia.

I wonder how many of the people who reported heat related problems last weekend were using Deet or some other chemical barrier. I don't want to argue over the safety of Deet nor am I asserting that it caused my or anyones problems but I am curious about it as a contributing factor. Anyone that would be willing to share would be appreciated.

For what it's worth, I was not wearing any bug spray on Saturday when the heat got the best/worst of me. I wasn't wearing any sunscreen either since I figured all but the portion that crosses the slides would leave me exposed to the sun. I applied bug spray at the tail end of the hike, and by then, I was already feeling horrible (which slowed me down even more and made me even more vulnerable to nasty bugs biting me cuz I couldn't hike fast enough to escape them!) :eek: