Heat Illness and Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooling down the body's hot spots will have dramatic results. In hot weather your internal organs begin heating up and will hold the heat, compounding things. Cooling the extremities, soaking the feet in a cold stream (and not swimming, which is still exertion), soaking the wrists (large veins close to the surface of the skin, cooling the bloodflow throughout the whole body) wrapping a cold soaked shirt, socks, etc. around the neck (again, the jugular) stuffing the armpits, and then cooling the stomach area (a new one I learned from my doctor friend last year, close to many organs) will leach heat out of the body in the fastest manner possible. The heat transfers, so keep dunking and re-wetting, and in turn pulling the heat out of you. The top of the head is another spot, though dunking the whole head is my preferred method.

As others have said, plan ahead. Shorten the hikes, more fluids, THINK STREAMS!, keep them nearby just in case, ice water in a coolie, and eat more food than you would normally, in small doses.

And think twice about doing any scrappy bushwhacks!!!

Count me in as another victim of the weekend. I was with a group (my daughter's first 4k!!) on Osceola and decided that while everyone was resting, I would go and quickly bag East Osceola. I pretty much ran over to the E peak but after reclimbing the chimney, I almost got knocked on my arse from the heat. You know the drill - weakness, nausea. I was drinking all day too... Know your limits!

I think that the susceptibility of heat related problems is a combination of personal physiology and how you manage your fluids. A combination of luck and smarts can help in this kind of situation. And remember, what works for me may not work for you. You have to do some experimenting on your own.

I agree. A few years ago a friend of mine and I were participating in an annual bicycling fund raiser in Maine and the temps on Day Two (of a 3 day event) were in the nineties with the heat coming off the pavement checking in at 108 degrees!!! :eek:

We both drank a lot of water (I also tend to pour water on my head while biking in those temps) during the 60 mile ride that day, and continued to drink water and gatorade after we arrived at the finish for the day. Both of us went swimming in the afternoon and it felt good to finally feel like we were cooling down. I was fine, but by the end of dinner, my friend was feeling dizzy and nauseous. She was radiating so much heat, her skin felt like it was on fire! We managed to get her outside and lying down on the grass, but she was suffering from heat exhaustion. Her initial dizziness came more than 5 hours after she finished biking that day! She wasn't the only one suffering that day. The medical staff that follows this ride was extremely busy that day and well into the evening hours and more than 400 of the 1600 riders opted to stop part way through the day and take a ride to the finish.

We are all different. I love the heat and will ride even on the hottest days - she will avoid it at all costs and does better in temps below 75.

I do several things. Using the camelback makes a big difference. The water seems to stay cooler and last longer. The only issue is monitoring the water level as you drain it down. I also use Powerade mixed with H2O in a nalgene bottle that I strsap to my pack. I bring along 1-2 small size frozen Poland Springs bottles and keep them in the bottom of my pack. They serve 2 purposes, cool the water in the Camelback and act as an emergency water reserve.

I find the "GU" power gels (used by distance runners) and power bars are good too, keeping you filled with what you need.

I also carry a thermometer that is part of my emergency whistle (Wal mart, $3.00) and monitor the temp.

Last edited:
JohnL said:
Another thought on this subject is the application of sun screen and/or bug spray/lotion. I am wondering if either one of these will block pores and inhibit cooling. Anyone have any information on this?

JohnL

Sun screen will actually keep your skin from absorbing the sun, and therefore works to keep you cooler. Have you ever felt your arms when they've gotten too much sun, and could cook an egg on them! As for breathability, good question. I've felt the body sweats open its pores when it needs to breath, thereby prompting more applications.

As for bug spray, I've already exceeed my lifetime supply of leached DEET into the bloodstream and go au natural. I, too, got sick last time I tried the stuff. Probably a combination of the heat and the liver and/or kidneys not being able to process the chemicals.

My humble suggestions

Most of my experience is with long distance bicycling, but much I carry to my hiking too. I always carry GU for a boost. Not sure about it's electrolytes, but it sure gives a quick energy boost and goes into your system easily. Water of course is required, I carry a 1/2 liter bottle over my neck with a nylon strap and carabiner so it's easy to drink often. Then I refill the small bottle from the larger ones when I stop to rest with the pack off or to get something out to eat. Maybe some of those salty/sweet granola bars would be a good carry item.

several people mentioned Gatorade. I have tried Emer'gen-C and like that better than Gatorade. it's handy, too, coming in individual packets and it's not as sweet.

Good thread!

Whether it's 100 degrees or minus 20 you always have to pay attention to the weather when hiking and dress, eat, and drink appropriately. Knowing your own body and knowing how to listen to its signals is very important, especially if you're pushing yourself when its uber-hot........

I tend to get headaches when pushing myself in high heat and humidity - require lots of water, salt, and sometimes aspirin or ibuprofen.

Last edited:
A slightly aside observation and question.

Soaked bandanas/hats on the head, dunking head in water, swimming...

We all know not to drink the water untreated but what danger is there in water that is splashed onto ones face/lips or runs down from a soaked noggin?

I think I recall someone posting last year that they got sick from spray while kayaking.

Curious.

Bob

One thing not mentioned is that an early sympton of dehydration is a headache. On a warm day if someone asks me if I have an aspirin, I usually find out they havent been drinking enough. It usually happens with new hikers but its a good thing to watch out for in any group.

It's the nausea, stupid (me)

For me, a headache may mean dehydration, but I can live with that...the nausea is the real warning. If I stop immediately, a 30 minute rest may do the job, but if I keep pushing through more than 10 minutes of it, the point of no return happens, then I'm toast for the rest of the day no matter how much I cool down, hydrate, eat, whatever. Dizziness, shaking "chills", the whole thing. The only prevention is start early and/or go slow. Seems to happen to me more on small, "easy" mountains because I think I don't need to pace myself.

MEB -- welcome to the overheating club. It sure stinks, doesn't it? I had an episode a few years ago on the Osceolas. Besides the sound advice of staying hyrdated, I also bring with me a small bandanna-style thing that has little tiny gel beads inside of it. When it's soaked in water, the gel beads grow larger (though soft) and retain the water. I then tie it loosely around my neck and it helps keep things cooled down.

On the way down from the Crockers on Saturday, I also soaked a regular bandanna, and briefly tied it around my head but then took it off and put that also around my neck too. For some reason, wearing it like a head cover seemed to keep the heat locked -- rather than allowing it to escape.

To see what the gel-bead bandanna looks like, here's a pic. It's the red-white-and-blue scarf like thing around my neck: http://community.webshots.com/photo/379066780/379075499lYOQfX

I bought it at REI a year or so ago. I have no idea who makes it or if it's still sold.

Last edited:
Artex said:
Diluted Gatorade is key! I've heard your body absorbs it better, but what I've noticed is that I don't feel bloated in my stomach when drinking it watered down and my thirst is still quenched and my energy level is still picked up. I buy the mix, since its much cheaper, and use half the amount they say to use (1.5 scoops per liter as opposed to 3).

I seem the recall being 2 scoops per liter. Perhaps you got a different concentration powder? I'd be curious to know...if you could double check the instrutions. I don't have the container anymore, otherwise I would of checked first thing when I got home.

Fish

Gu

TrekMan said:
I always carry GU for a boost. Not sure about it's electrolytes, but it sure gives a quick energy boost and goes into your system easily.
GU has 55mg sodium and 40mg of potassium in each serving.

It's good for blood sugar levels and is easily absorbed, but one GU probably won't do a lot for replacing electrolytes.

Placidnay

I think I came the closest to heat exhaustion I had ever been this weekend and trust me, it wasn't something I was aiming for!

We hiked up Skylight/Gray from the loj and back and both of us felt pretty bad near the end. We are usually pretty good long distance and felt prepared for the heat, but still felt the effect of the still, hot air and blazing sun.

I think what helped us was that we each carried a 100 oz mix of Gatorade (2/3 from the bottles - I don't like the powder mix) and water (1/3) in our hydropacks and really forced ourselves to eat a lot of food even when the heat made us lose our appetites. We only had a few ounces left when we stopped near Uphill LT to refill. We made a conscious effort of sipping water all the way out.

We also took a lot of breaks in the shade and I submerged myself in water every chance I got. I also slept most of the way 4 hour trip home in the back seat after I promised my better half I would drive home since he drove up. I am in debt big time!

Some like it hot!

As someone that passed out several times when I was younger from heat I now found what works for me to the point that I enjoy the heat as well as the cold.

I ‘train’ in the heat. That means I trail run (with 1000 ft. elev.) several times a week even when the heat cranks up. I sweat year round so I’ve learned that Gatorade and energy gels work for me. Just drinking water caused me to pee too frequently and thus lose the water. So I usually have half water and half full strength Gatorade for my liquids. I also have a hard time eating a lot but the energy gels go down easy enough to replenish the energy.

Some other things that help is to wash all the sweat off if possible when on or nearing the summit (I think dried salt on the skin blocks the pores more than a sunscreen) and apply sunscreen (I sweat it off on the ascent so I don’t use it to start). Sunburned and windburned skin makes the body hotter. I use a fleece headband for a sweat band (fold it up in half) as it wicks better than a bandana. Wear a light colored top. A wet bandana around the neck feels great.

Keeping generally hydrated before the hike/run, getting a good sweat going and keep drinking seem to work for me. I once very stupidly ran out of water on a hot day on the Webster Cliff trail and although I got down without incident, I was pretty desperately thirsty.

It seems to be an individual thing. If I stay hydrated and if I am in fit condition, I usually do ok in the heat. If I am overtired or not fit enough, it is harder. Heat in August in easier than heat in April or May too, acclimitization I guess.

Swimming works . This past weekend, my children and I did a short (3 mile) hike in Vermont. We all did ok, but the mood change in my five year old after he jumped in the river was astonishing. You could almost watch his temperature drop.

As for monitoring intake, with the Camelback, the only way I can keep track is a) taking one mouthful every 10-15 minutes, or b) making sure my "outtake" is flowing. I find if nature doesn't call, then I need to drink more.

The odd side effect of having switched to carrying the Camelback is I now carry more water that I used to. I drink slightly more, probably because of the convenience, but because I ran out on a few occasions, I now feel the need to carry a 1L Nalgene as a backup. Total of almost 4L instead of 2L. What a price for the convenience!

Add me (Bob) to the list that had issues with the heat yesterday.

Wet bandana's, shirts, soaking wrists in water, etc were methods used to combat the heat, but about a 3rd of the way up the Owl's Head Slide, I just lost all energy - could only go a short distance before I had to stop and rest. More likely I was bonking versus heat exhaustion, but I took it easy, had a snack along the way and at the summit. After a 20 minute rest I was fit to go again.

We use camelbacks and find we drink a lot more because of how easy it is, but also carry a filter and a Nalgene in case we run out. Yesterday I went through 5 - 6 litres of water.

I also put by camelback into the freezer the night before a hike which keeps the water colde for several hours even in the heat.