Heated Backcountry cabins for rent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardsale

Reaction score
I would like to treat my wife to a birthday dinner in a nice secluded bc cabin in northern New England. (12/31) Heard about one in East Haven VT but couldn't find it. Something smaller than the DOC cabins would be nice. Any suggestions?

I believe Black Mt. and Doublehead Mt., Jackson, NH, each have a cabin with a woodstove. They're operated by USFS, so I'd call them for info, or check their website.

Happy Trails :)

Wheeler Pond Camps

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=7

Wheeler Pond Camps are located in the Lake Willoughby/Barton region of Northern VT. Beautiful area, with access to Wheeler Mtn., Moose Mtn., Pisgah, Hor, etc. (The ledges on Wheeler may be a challenge in winter!)

Previously the camps were owned by the AMC but are now owned by the Green Mountain Club. There are two separate cabins, which are rustic but ARE heated, with wood. I was surprised to see that the road is plowed to the parking area! :) Rates are $30 member/$45 nonmember per cabin per night.

The website has an online reservation calendar. Looks like Dec. 30 and 31 are already booked, but Dec. 28-29 and the first week of January is available!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Here are some cabin colonies in Maine.

Medawisla Wilderness Camps on 2nd Roach Pond and Little Lyford Pond may both require a xc ski trip if there is snow, snowmobile may be arranged for the latter. Both are operated by the AMC and you can check rates and availability on their website.

Some cabins in Baxter Park are available in winter at Daicy Pond and Kidney Pond. Check the Baxter Park website for rates and instructions to make reservations. These are also accessed by foot in winter.

Just think, you reserve a remote cabin for a winter night and you have a good excuse to go scout the access in foliage season. ;)

P.S. The heat at Medawisla and at Baxter Park is by wood stove. I'm not sure how Little Lyford camps are heated but I suspect they are also wood. Wood is available at each of the camps.

Last edited: