Helmets.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When ice or rock climbing -I wear helmet
have had plenty of "thank god" moments that I was glad to have one on ..ice chunks, axes, gear, rocks dropped on me while belaying or climbing..

Biking- I wear helmet.....too many friends have had life saving bike injuries because they had helmet on..plus I live on a crazy hilly narrow road.:eek:

skiing..I wear a helmet..want my Grandson to wear one so set an example, plus have suffered concusion from ski falls while racing..ugghh:(

Hiking...Alps, and crevassed Mountain peaks...debating wearing up in Canada on the more technical climbs..lots of loose rock falling down, especially when others are above...and the scrambling involved, especially on my solo climbs:eek:

In the White's....have never considered wearing one for hiking. :confused:

Varies with the activity and the details of the activity:

* Road biking: yes
* Non-technical hiking: no
* Climbing (ice or 5th class rock): yes
- 3rd or 4th class rock: depends on the details
* Skiing:
- XC: no
- Lift-served (DH) tele: yes
- BC tele: depends
* Kayaking:
- flat water: no
- white water: yes
* Canoeing:
- flat water: no
- white water: depends on the difficulty and whether I plan to run any drops standing up

I have three helmets: bike, climbing, and ski. (If I use a helmet when boating, it is the climbing helmet.)

We should also note that helmets for different activities are designed to handle different kinds of impact:
* Biking helmets (flimsy shell over energy absorbing foam) are designed to mitigate heavy impacts (cyclist going head first into an immovable object) with large flat objects by the crushed foam absorbing the energy.
* Climbing helmets (hard shell over foam or a suspension) are designed to defend against falling rocks (small high speed missiles) as well as heavy impacts (eg falling against a rock face).
* (Downhill) skiing helmets (similar to climbing helmets with increased wrap-around) are designed to deal with heavy impacts from all directions (eg falls and tree trunks) as well as running into small objects (eg tree limbs and rocks).

Using a helmet for an activity for which it is not designed is often not as good as a helmet designed for the activity, but is usually still better than none.

<meta comment>
A number of posters have not distinguished between varieties of an activity such as biking (eg mtn vs road), skiing (eg DH vs BC vs XC), or kayaking (eg flat water vs white water vs ocean vs surf). The difference is often critical for many in deciding whether to wear a helmet or not (and for understanding statements concerning whether one wears a helmet or not).
</meta comment>

BTW, a helmet can make a nice rain hat or a very nice pillow for a bivy (just wear it)... :)

Doug

Last edited:
although you could pass out while taking a tough dump and hit your head because you are unconscious.

Ouch!...could you clarify? Are you talking about while hiking or after a hearty meal of beans. Either way...not good.

Back to the OP. I'm a big proponent of Helmets and I agree with Doug Paul...specific to the task. I've got one for just about everything when I'm moving...that's with my feet. Usually harder Fourth Class and above warrants one for me as far as hiking/climbing.

I just started wearing one for skiing to set a good example for my kids. I love the helmet skiing trees. Now I can crash branches with my head down and am much bolder in the trees than without the helmet.

A helmet 100% saved my life climbing several years ago and I remain a lifelong advocate when on adventure routes.

Have you ever considered wearing one while attending a gathering? I have.

Only the gatherings where you're attending Neil!!! :p

Would be a good idea when the guns are going off....and bombfire next to the propane tanks...hmmm
But then again, I would have to deal with helmet hair..........:eek: