Help - New Hiker looking for advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMike

Reaction score
Awhile back, I posted on this site about being interested in getting into hiking. I have never been before, but am in good shape and love the outdoors. For several reasons, including nervousness, I never got the nerve to get going. Anyway, when I first ventured into this site, you were all so pleasant and welcoming. I am committed to starting to hike the Cats this spring, but I am very nervous about doing so. Any info on gear, specific hikes etc would be more than appreciated. I am truly a novice so the more specific info and suggestions the better. I do have the NY/NJ maps. Thanks for advance, as I guess I am asking, if you experienced hikers were helping a friend, what steps, gear, etc. would you teach them about! Thanks in advance!

<moderator hat on>
I just updated the title to make it more clear what the thread is about. I'm sure you'll get lots of useful advice.

-dave-
<moderator hat off>

FatMike, where are you out of ?
I'd start with local day hikes and long walks. Break in a couple pair of inexpensive hiking boots, pop some blisters, carry a day pack with some water, snacks and first-aid gear. Some of my favorite hikes are VERY local. Then you might join a local hiking group or post dates/areas here that you'd like to hike. Hiking isn't as complicated as we like to make it. Keep us posted, there's always something happening in various areas, but you need the basic broken-in boots first.

Mike,

You'll read a lot about the hikes that people are taking on these boards. Don't let these hikes influence you to jump into long difficult hikes. Start off slow in places that you are comfortable hiking. Check to see if there are some hiking clubs in your area (Local AMC Chapter). They will probably offer hikes geared to new hikers. Get a good guide book to the area(s) you want to hike in. The book will probably give some examples of easy to more difficult hikes. Talk with other hikers about gear and techniques and destinations. I did a lot of reading of books like "The Backpacker's Handbook". Learn how to use a map and a compass then go out and hike your own hike. Have Fun!

Come on in, the water's fine!

Hey,

Inasmuch as hiking is nothing more than walking from here to there, please be encouraged to shed any inhibitions you may have. All this stuff you read about "peril" really has limited applicability, provided you don't over-reach too badly the first few times.

If you're in the Catskills, there are a TON of opportunities right in your own backyard. Pick a state park near your home with walking trails and just get out there. Dawn & dusk are great times to observe wildlife without lots of people about and you'll start getting loose.

Knock off well-travelled hills like Greylock and Monadnock with the crowds around on a nice day and you'll learn lots with the safety of company.

Resurrect some old college buddy who hikes and the two of you can run a most enjoyable weekend on the peak of your choice. Awareness of risk will keep you safe; start mellow and get rad as you learn.

Used gear and old clothes are fine for a start! You could spend millions on the latest; don't worry about it. eBay can be a good place to get stuff.

Have fun; it's a blast!

--M.

FatMike said:
Awhile back, I posted on this site about being interested in getting into hiking. I have never been before, but am in good shape and love the outdoors. For several reasons, including nervousness, I never got the nerve to get going. Anyway, when I first ventured into this site, you were all so pleasant and welcoming. I am committed to starting to hike the Cats this spring, but I am very nervous about doing so. Any info on gear, specific hikes etc would be more than appreciated. I am truly a novice so the more specific info and suggestions the better. I do have the NY/NJ maps. Thanks for advance, as I guess I am asking, if you experienced hikers were helping a friend, what steps, gear, etc. would you teach them about! Thanks in advance!

Welcome!

I would highly recommend hiking with a group to reduce your nervousness. The Catskill 3500 Club, of which I am a member and a hike leader, offers hikes year round. We try to hit all 35 peaks each quarter. Most of the hikes are moderately paced, and you do not need to worry about the hike leader cracking the whip to keep you moving. :D

If you are worried about falling, most of the trails are not so steep that you would take a serious fall. When there are steep places, just a little caution is usually sufficient to get you thru them.

What should you bring? Here are some basics:

- Sturdy water resistant boots - break them in before you start hiking!
- Non-cotton clothing - cotton retains moisture
- Extra clothes for bad weather - you never know how the weather will be in the mountains
- Food and liquid for energy and hydration - and a little extra just in case
- Backpack big enough for all of the above!
- Hiking Pole(s) - not essential, but very useful

Here is a list of other items to consider. It's geared towards backpacking, but I carry virtually all of the items listed for most day trips:

http://tennessee.sierraclub.org/broome/ten_essentials.htm

Get some catalogs or check out the online stores, such EMS, REI, etc., etc.

Again, welcome, and feel free to contact me offline for more information.

I agree with the suggestions of starting with a group or club hike. Or you can start with well travelled trails so you are never far from assistance.

Some other clubs that have frequent hikes in the Catskills: There are a wide range of trails in the Catskills from easy to challenging. Some good, well travelled introductory hikes with nice views include:
  • Overlook fire tower
  • North Point and sections of the Escarpment Trail at North Lake State Park
  • Windham High Peak
  • Ashokan High Point
  • Giant Ledge and Panther

I was also a little nervous about joining my first club hike. I was afraid that I would slow down the group, especiially since the hikes were rated as difficult. I have been on hikes with both the Catskill 3500 and Rip Van Winkle hikers. I assure you you will be welcomed, if you are in good shape you have nothing to worry about. Of these two clubs I would say RVW takes a slower pace, you could also join in on one of their intermediate or novice groups to begin.

For beginner hikes in the Catskills I recommend Overlook Mountain from Meads Mountain Rd. Slide Mountain is also good if you want a little more challenge. There are several nice trails around North/South Lake. These areas have well marked trails and usually have plenty of usage, espicially on a pleasant warm weather weekend.

"I walk, therefore I hike."
- Anon.

"That's why I hike."
- Me, after many a situation in which someone has tossed something to me and I dropped it.

It's just like riding a bike, but easier. Don't fret.

Basically, you need 3 things:
1. Sense of adventure/exploration
2. Sense of humor
3. Common sense

Some people will also tell you to take the 10 "Essentials":
Map
Compass - Be sure you know how to use your map and compass before you go!
Warm clothing including hat and mittens
Extra food and water
Flashlight or headlamp
Matches/firestarters
First aid kit/repair kit
Whistle
Rain/wind gear
Pocket knife

Remember, it's not a competition. Just get out, see things most couch potatoes don't, and have fun! :D

Thanks

Thanks for the good insight, I am excited to get started this spring, and am sure I will be asking many questions!

keep an eye out for trips on this site - in the spring - I think there is a wealth of knowledge, skills and common sesne on this site - probably more than your local AMC (or other) chapter -

try and get along on some day hikes with people and learn from them - IMO - thats the best way. people here do all types of levels, easy, moderate hard, etc..

I'd keep it simple. I wouldn't buy anything at first. Wear a comfortable pair of shoes/sneaks, stick a water bottle in your pocket, go to a reasonbaly local place that appeals to you for some reason, get a trail map, walk along the trail for an hour, turn around and come back. Do that a couple times and you'll meet others along the way and start to decide what gear you think is worth your effort to carry along. Sit occasionally and look around and enjoy what is drawing you out in the first place.

imarchant said:
For beginner hikes in the Catskills I recommend Overlook Mountain from Meads Mountain Rd. Slide Mountain is also good if you want a little more challenge.

I second that. Overlook is a great trek to start. If you feel like you haven't had your fill when you reach the top, you can continue on and head down to the lake.

The Catskills are a great place to start hiking. For the most part, they aren't really exposed at the top so you won't be surprised by a really windy summit. If you have never done any kind of hiking before, I would recommend Giant Ledge as an easy hike that doesn't go to a true summit, but definitely gives you excellent views, and it can be done in just a few hours round trip. There are lots of spots along the ledge with views so you can pick a private location where there aren't other people, which gives you a sense of solitude even though you may only be 50 feet from another hiking party. I took some non-hiking high-school students up this trail, and they did fine. I wouldn't go out any earlier than late April, and May would be better, because you'll still have a lot of mud to deal with before then, and hey, you want to make this as enjoyable as possible.

You'll get tons of advice on what to bring on this thread. I wouldn't buy anything really expensive until you are sure you like hiking, and you have done it enough to have some idea of what you find comfortable. If you already have a daypack that only has shoulder straps, rather than going out and getting one with a hipbelt and Camelback and all the fancies, I would just stuff your raincoat and fleece against the back of the pack to provide some padding and use that. For a short hike like this, you can be fairly comfortable without a fancy pack. Old soda and Gatorade bottles work fine for carrying water, and they are cheap. Bring some good food that you like, which will make it all that much more enjoyable at the top, and a camera to get some memories.

Lotsa good advice above. I second much of what's been said. Regarding the post from Umsaskis, couldn't agree more about trying out a short hike or two before buying expensive stuff. Heck, I climbed my 1st ten or so Catskill peaks in a pair of Sketchers, with a little Dakine bookbag-type pack. (I did have the "proper" clothing and other stuff)

I also agree that the Catskills are an excellent place to start w/ easier hikes. I'd add that the Shawangunks are as well. Disclaimer-you have to pay entry fees on the various Gunks parcels, but that's the only major drawback to a truly special place. Mohonk Preserve and Minnewaska State Park both offer easy walks on carriageways that go through areas that are simply amazing geologically and pretty nice as far as flora and fauna as well. There are progressively more difficult routes, from foot paths to rock scrambling. Finally,
the Shawangunks will be easier and safer to get out in earlier in the spring than the Catskills, if you're getting anxious by then.

None of the above is meant to steal fire from the Catskills, which I adore. Just wanted to add another suggestion.

Matt