Hennessy Hammock - anyone use it?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onrhodes

Reaction score
So, I'm looking to build my gear for multi-day trips and I stumbled upon the Hennessy Hammock. This thing looks awesome. I love the concept, and holy cow is it light.
If you don't know what I am talking about check out http://www.hennessyhammock.com/
For those of you who either own it or have seen it in use, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Pete

I had one briefly, returned it, and got a Speer Hammock. IMO, the Speer is a more practical design. (Each one has its devotees.)

The Speer hammocks are available fully made or in a kit form and Speer wrote a book detailing plans. http://www.speerhammocks.com.

Search on "hammock" and you find lots of threads on the topic.

Doug

I saw them for the first time last summer when two friends of mine used them. One had had one for quite a while and the other guy was a new convert. Both of them thought the Hennessy hammock was the best thing since sliced bread. I doubt either of them would ever use a tent again. :)

I have the HH & find it to be very nice. Not a lot of room but can be set up/hung just about anywhere there are trees. The big issue is with colder temps & keeping warm in it.

I love my hennessey hammock. It offers great flexibility. I've hung it between trees on a steep and very rocky mountainside, where I would not have been able to find a tentsite. Although I have near zero skills at rigging things, I found it no problem to use as a bivy the one time I found no suitable trees to hang it between. I used it on a 13 day trip and loved the comfort and convenience of it (as well as the size and weight). I'm planning on using it when I try to thru-hike the long trail this summer.

The tarp offers a lot of flexibility... you can hang it snug to the hammock for protection from rain or well above the hammock for maximum ventilation. The air circulation under the hammock is a disadvantage for cold weather, and an advantage for hot weather.

I find using a foam pad underneath works best. Unless it's really hot you will want the insulation. I'd suggest getting one thick enough to provide comfort on the ground in case you do need to bivy, or you decide to stay in a shelter (which I did one night after tiring of endless rain). Also, I recommend something wider than 20 inches (at least around the torso). Since the bottom of the hammock curves around your body, it might take a 2 to 2 1/2 foot wide pad to curve around your bag to provide insulation from underneath (even at 55 degrees the bottom of the hammock can feel pretty cool if there is much of a wind).

Some hammock users swear by ensolite pads. I've used FY-20 from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics and been happy with it (it comes 40" wide and I cut it down to fit my needs). See http://www.owfinc.com/Hardware/Shardware/Miscshardware.asp#FY20 if you are interested.

Last edited:
Henny Ham.

I use a henny ham and i love it !!! Its not a tent! it takes some getting used to but what a great sleep!! Ive used mine down to just above freezing and with a sleeping pad and a decent down bag it works fine. Did i mention how lite wieght it is. Oh yeah did i mention how good of a sleep it was.

Hennessey Rules !!!:> :D

I have a hennessey and i love it. i've used it in a major rainstorm and never had a worry: i wasn't blown all over and no rain ever leaked in.
however, i've found i get pretty chilly in it if the temps are below 40 since the ground isn't protecting my back from cool breezes.

Got one and love it. I'll reiterate what everyone else said. I was in mine for an overnight of several inches of pouring rain and I stayed completely dry and comfortable. I've never been cold in mine but I've never had a night below 50 in it. They're wonderful, but do think about where you're going and whether or not you'll find a couple of trees the right distance apart with open space between. Some places can be very, very easy. Others can be nigh impossible (established tentsites with platforms tend to not have the trees blocked off as "revegetation zones").

I will probably be using mine for the first time this season in a week!

Double Bow said:
I spoke to someone this past weekend who uses one and they said that they like it but that it's no good unless you sleep on your back and that it's tricky to get into. Are these things true?
I experimented with one for a few hours, returned it, and got a Speer.

Getting in and out is easy enough. The problem for me came when I added a pad and sleeping bag to the mix. The pad covers the entry slit so you have to push it out of the way for entry and egress and then once you are in, you have to adjust the pad and sleeping bag back into position (while you are on top of them). And of course, one would also have to deal with wet shoes in many real situations. Would have made a late-night visit to the woods a bit of an ordeal...

As for sleeping positions, I found the end of the entry slit made a hard spot that became uncomfortable after it pressed on my leg for a while. If I laid in just the right position, I could avoid it but it did limit my sleeping positions. Don't recall if I could have slept on my side, but the asymmetrical shape could easily limit one to sleeping on one side only. (The asymmetrical shape limits one to sleeping on only one diagonal.)

In contrast, the Speer Hammock (http://www.speerhammocks.com) is a symmetrical top-entry design. (The mosquito netting velcos on at the edges and the rain fly is a separate 8x10ft tarp.) One can position the pad and bag and then just sit on top, take your shoes off and stow them, get in the bag, and fasten the netting. Easy in and out. The symmetrical shape gives one the option of sleeping on one's back (on either diagonal) or on either side. Unlike the closed Hennessy design, the open design also gives one a place to throw stuff when packing and unpacking. And the separate rain tarp gives one a shelter to work under when outside the hammock. (And, of course, the tarp can be used without the hammock.)

I think the Hennessy design is clever and a little lighter than the Speer design. But I also think the Speer design is more practical.

Doug

Double Bow:

I don't have a good answer for the first issue: I always sleep on my back, but that might be the best sleeping position for a hammock. I'll be interested to hear from others on this first question.

On the other question: I've haven't found it at all difficult to get into. I do always set up my bedding before getting in, take off my boots while sitting near the opening and leave them underneath, on the ground (it doesn't hurt if they are on a mound or a piece of wood in case heavy rains and puddles form). There have been times I've rumbled out at night to pee and crawled back in without putting my bedding together and have had to work a bit to get comfortable again - nonetheless, I sleep much better than in a tent or a shelter. (Many guys tout the added benefit of being able to pee without leaving the hammock... if you try this, I'd suggest not leaving your boots just below the opening).

I have to admit to a very keen interest in these. I keep wanting to get one because of how difficult it can be in an un-established camping site to find a suitable place to set up one or two tents.

Then I think of hanging there like a bear pinnata waiting for him to start swiping at me in the middle of the night while sleeping, and I wonder if that is really how I want to die. :D

Thanks for the info on the Speer hammock Doug. I have been looking at those also.

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
I have to admit to a very keen interest in these. I keep wanting to get one because of how difficult it can be in an un-established camping site to find a suitable place to set up one or two tents.
That was also part of my interest. Works the other way too--tents are useful in some places where hammocks don't work well (eg no trees). But hammocks, where usable, probably have lower impact than tents.

The Speer design can be set up as a tarp-tent (with a pair of trekking poles) and the hammock body used as a bivy sack with a netting top to hold the bugs at bay. (I have also seen a picture of the Hennessy design used as a tent. Looked awkward to me.)

Then I think of hanging there like a bear pinnata waiting for him to start swiping at me in the middle of the night while sleeping, and I wonder if that is really how I want to die.
No paw prints so far.
Hanging a hammock (or placing a tent) across a human or game trail should probably be avoided...

Thanks for the info on the Speer hammock Doug. I have been looking at those also.
A friend (DebW) with quite a bit of hammock experience pointed Speer out to me. She has made 3 or 4 of them. Since I already had an 8x10 sil-nylon tarp, I just bought the hammock body. (Speer will sell parts.)

Speer's book is also a plus--I didn't want to sew one myself, but I know how it is made.

Doug

Last edited:
take off my boots while sitting near the opening

With my Hennessy, I actually sit *in* the opening. I just stand up through the slit, plop my butt on the edge, take off my boots or camp shoes, lift up my legs, and I'm cozily inside.

I will agree that it can take some effort to get the bedding inside just right, but when it is, I find it to be incredibly comfortable. I do sleep on my back.

One trick - when setting up place the head *lower* than the feet. The net result will be a much more level sleep surface. If you tie off the feet and head at the same level, you will end up with an uncomfortable angle sloping down to your butt.

MichaelJ said:
With my Hennessy, I actually sit *in* the opening. I just stand up through the slit, plop my butt on the edge, take off my boots or camp shoes, lift up my legs, and I'm cozily inside.
Yes, I tried this too. It does work, particularly if you leave your boots on the ground. I prefer not to leave them out for the porcupines to chew on and found it awkward to pick them up and stow from inside the hammock.

For a top-entry hammock, one can remove and stow one's boots while sitting sideways on the hammock. Easier and faster.

I will agree that it can take some effort to get the bedding inside just right, but when it is, I find it to be incredibly comfortable. I do sleep on my back.
I found it a bit of struggle to realign the bedding and after a simulated visit to the woods it got harder because the pieces got further out of position. (Perhaps more practice would have helped.) With the top-entry, this was much less of a problem.

Clearly there are people who are happy with either design. IMO, it is worth examining both designs (and perhaps a few others) before choosing one.

Doug