Here comes the big spring snowstorm for the Whites!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last two ski areas will be happy. Maybe I can finally go for a good ride on my snowmobile. Tired of hiking all winter.

More snow & Robins.

I'm psyched for more snow - at least for one more weekend. Then I'm dreaming of warm weather hiking. Call me reckless.

Waumbek: We're definitely seeing flocks of robins in relative tropics of Southern NH. I think they're starting to displace our starlings! ;) One note of interest, last fall on October 22nd, 2005 I saw a robin flitting about on the Lion's Head krummholz area. Very odd. Anyone else seen Robins, and I do mean the feathered variety, above 5K this late in the season?

LTH

One storm at a time...

I can't believe we're talking about rain Saturday with this Epic mountain snowstorm:

1) The summits are going to get DUMPED on with this storm, more than any one rain event will be able to wash away.

2) We are entering into a cold pattern behind this storm, and the summits will not rise above freezing through the weekend.

3) I don't think that most mountain areas will see rain Saturday either.

Sure, valley snow will disappear quickly, but I think skiing/snowshoeing will be amazing through the week after this storm, and we'll worry about Saturday rains later (if we have to at all)!

w7xman said:
ISure, valley snow will disappear quickly, but I think skiing/snowshoeing will be amazing through the week after this storm, and we'll worry about Saturday rains later (if we have to at all)!

that doesn't help the 90% of the people who have to work all week :( :( :(

I hope your right about weekend tho. its just frustrating when you see rain for the weekend :( :( :( :(

did I mention - i hate rain?

Waumbek keep us updated at your house and maybe franconia notch if you can. The snow right now is falling at rates of over 2 inches an hour north of lincoln! As of this morning zeland and hermit have over 3.5 inches and it will pile. Im gonna try and sneak up there wednesday. -Mattl

Snow up North?? :eek: Could it be true?!!! Better late than never!!! Looking forward to maybe seeing some snow on the trails and on the evergreen boughs hiking in the Whites at the end of this week .... It's doubtful it'll last long either way, so I'm going to enjoy it while I can :)

Oh, and I'm with giggy .... Rain does, indeed, suck this time of year so far as hiking goes.

Last edited:
Quietman said:
From the observatory high summit forecast.

From WMUR(Manchester NH)

"Tuesday Night & Wednesday: Periods of snow with several inches of accumulation possible before tapering off Wednesday night. Western slopes, ski areas and higher elevations could see over 6" of snow! Lows in the lower 20's and highs in the lower 30's...wind chills in the teens!"

Ahh, good ol' WMUR, still trying to pimp the ski areas..... My sister lives in Groton (NH... NW of Plymouth) and awoke this morning to 2 in of snow, she's at about 1200' elevation, so my bet is with mountains getting dumped on. No biggie, I have my winter gear in pack (save for crampons and snowshoes) till mid- june anyhow ! Plus I'm a big fan of boot sliding on the descent. !

grouseking said:
Calling all north country residents!!!!!!!!! How's the snow coming?!?! :D :) :D

grouseking

Whiteface received 6 inches of new snow. Not sure about the other High Peaks.
The valley didn't get too much. At least where I live, just a dusting.

grouseking said:
Calling all north country residents!!!!!!!!! How's the snow coming?
In Thornton, just south of Licoln, NH, there has been no snow at all so far (OK, a few flakes that melt as soon as they hit the ground). The NWS Current Conditions for Mount Washington, Berlin and Whitefield indicate minimal (at best) accumulation. Not much rain either; the flood warnings that were posted earlier today are long since gone.

A vastly overhyped "storm"???

Mohamed Ellozy said:
In Thornton, just south of Licoln, NH, there has been no snow at all so far (OK, a few flakes that melt as soon as they hit the ground). The NWS Current Conditions for Mount Washington, Berlin and Whitefield indicate minimal (at best) accumulation. Not much rain either; the flood warnings that were posted earlier today are long since gone.

A vastly overhyped "storm"???

In the mountains it wasn't overhyped...a mainly upslope event for areas of elevation, and latest reports from Hermit Lake have them at 16" already with snow coming through the night, but the MTWash station was unfortunately how they usually are in east wind storms...above the heaviest accumulation

The media may have overhyped it a bit for the valleys, but the Obs' summits forecast looks right on!

Watch KMWN's totals now through morning with the upslope kicking in too, they'll catch up...
Totals should be impressive at the AMC backcountry huts page tomorrow.

Last edited:
Don't really care one way or the other about whether it was forecast properly or not as long as it all melts/washes away/disappears by Sunday :p I have 3 days off in a row and don't fancy trudging through (and camping in) wet slush, thank you.

Chas.

giggy said:
franklin ma, elevation 60 feet got no snow :D :D :D :eek: :D :p

JUst wait a while and see what happens as the upper level low moves through. Looking at the radar loop this shows a fairly broad area of snow that will be moving through. We'll see what kind of accumlation it brings! I personally would like to see a couple feet but, I don't think that is going to happen.

w7xman said:
In the mountains it wasn't overhyped...a mainly upslope event for areas of elevation, and latest reports from Hermit Lake have them at 16" already with snow coming through the night, but the MT Wash station was unfortunately how they usually are in east wind storms...above the heaviest accumulation

The media may have overhyped it a bit for the valleys, but the Obs' summits forecast looks right on!

Watch KMWN's totals now through morning with the upslope kicking in too, they'll catch up...
Totals should be impressive at the ACM backcountry huts page tomorrow.

I was hoping for a foot here at 1100 ft. elevation but we got the grass easily covered. Lot's melted before it built up. Had powder falling all night. Gorham got more than us. So I would assume some hefty snow in higher elevations.

Nice to be above the notch we always get snow is some form. Like winter here again. Trees are pretty and ground frozen at surface. Mud gone for today.

I see they are listing Hermit Lake at Tuckermans Ravine as getting 19 inches
and 10 inches for the summit of Washington.

I headed east on Rt 2 and went over Gorham Hill around 8 a.m. yesterday. It was snowing/sleeting hard with very icy road conditions. I could see the skid marks where a logging truck had bounced off the side of the road and back on again. Slush/snow continued all the across Maine with little or no accumulations.