Hidden pond on the AT near the Greylock summit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score

(click for larger image)

This was taken on an AT secion hike in 2002 and it was the first season where I started taking lots of shots and trying to improve my photography.

It certainly follows the rule of thirds (which rule was quite unknown to me at the time). You might want to have that little hut in focus and you might say the sharp focus of the framing branches is distracting. But I think the soft obscure look of the background framed by those branches is what gives this shot its charm. The fuzzy reflection in the pond doesn't hurt either. Try the full size image, it lets you see a bit more of what's going on over by that hut.

Last edited:
This is a very nice photo. It is like we have spread the cobwebs apart, and we are peering into a mysterious scene. The mottled reflections add to the mystique. I am OK with the focus on the branches rather than the hut - it contributes to the mystery.

The snow very much enhances this scene. All of the twiggy branches in the foreground could be very distracting in another season. Covered in snow the twigs are attractive. Snow does cover a myriad of photographic problems.

Because the scene is mostly white snow, the camera's auto exposure rendered the scene gray. It is a bit underexposed. It would be interesting to see this just a little brighter. Although I don't think we would want it fully white. These overcast days are after all dark, and it should not look like a sunny day. The gray does add to the moody feel of the scene.

For the record

Just for the record, here are the specs

Camera: Kodak Coolpix E775
Exposure: 1/127
F-stop: 7.9
ISO: 100
Metering: pattern
Image size: 1024 x 768
resolution: 300 x 300 dpi

Mark Schaefer said:
Because the scene is mostly white snow, the camera's auto exposure rendered the scene gray. It is a bit underexposed. It would be interesting to see this just a little brighter. Although I don't think we would want it fully white. These overcast days are after all dark, and it should not look like a sunny day. The gray does add to the moody feel of the scene.

Have you ever tried this technique in Photoshop?
1. Duplicate the background layer
2. Apply the Gaussian Blur filter (around 1.5 pixels seems to work well)
3. Change the new layer's mode (the one you just blurred) to Overlay, really makes the scene pop
4. Now flatten the image and change the image mode from RGB to LAB Color.
5. In the Channels palette select the Lightness channel and apply Unsharp masking to it (many Photoshop pros recommend doing all your sharpening this way)
6. When the image looks sharp but not too sharp convert back to RGB mode.

Here's what you get:

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. That did lighten the snow highlights and increased the contrast, without changing the overall effect of the scene too much. That resulted in some additional texture in the snow and more detail in the reflection. Some may still prefer the original. Its a nice image either way.

Your instructions sound similar to what several friends have shown me in Photoshop. I look forward to playing with Photoshop once I make the digital plunge.

Mark Schaefer said:
Thanks Kevin. That did lighten the snow highlights and increased the contrast, without changing the overall effect of the scene too much. That resulted in some additional texture in the snow and more detail in the reflection. Some may still prefer the original. Its a nice image either way.

Your instructions sound similar to what several friends have shown me in Photoshop. I look forward to playing with Photoshop once I make the digital plunge.

Photoshop is incredible in the hands of someone who really knows what they're doing. (Not me :D ) I find that doing a lot of tutorials helps quite a bit, especially in a really good book. There are some really good Photoshop tutorial sites on the web, too.

Maybe we should get a Photoshop Tips thread going....

Kevin

kmorgan said:
Photoshop is incredible in the hands of someone who really knows what they're doing. (Not me :D ) I find that doing a lot of tutorials helps quite a bit, especially in a really good book. There are some really good Photoshop tutorial sites on the web, too.

Maybe we should get a Photoshop Tips thread going....

Kevin
I would love a Photosthop Tips thread. I know the very basics, but would like to learn more. Although, I'd prefer to improve my shots out of camera so I don't spend hours and hours on the computer. :)