higher volume water filter ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
got to love my MSR Mini-works for the trail, but can anyone recommend something similar that is higher volume ?
I'm thinking about boat camping here where there is plenty of water and not the size/weight restrictions that exist with backpacking. thanks.

For boat trips and similar I've used (and loved!) my gravity feed ceramic filter. It has a huge roll-top 2 gallon resevoir that feeds into the filter unit. Output into an 8L drom or gallon jugs (pots, 5 gallon, etc.) and you're good to go.

The best thing... no pumping required. :)

To make sure you're still getting a biceps workout, substitute as many 12 oz. curls as needed. :cool:

Pete_Hickey said:
If you've got the money, something like this:

http://survivalequipment.net/katadyn_kft.html

Most water filter companies make more than just the hiker models. You can also find ones that 'filter' out salt from saltwater.

They do? I looked but could not find any. I'd be curious as to what filtration method is used, it could be handy for those of us living on the coast and going on sea kayaking trips.

Pete_Hickey said:
You can also find ones that 'filter' out salt from saltwater.
Really?
A few years back I was looking for one so I could get some water while on an island and I was told that no such thing existed... that the only way would be to get or make a distiller that collects water vapor from sea water.

But... after some research I found out about Reverse Osmosis filters. I haven't found anyone who has used it (and can't find one meant for the outdoors).

"The semi-permeable membrane used in reverse osmosis contains tiny pores through which water can flow. The small pores of this membrane are restrictive to such organic compounds as salt and other natural minerals, which generally have a larger molecular composition than water. These pores are also restrictive to bacteria and disease-causing pathogens. Thus, reverse osmosis is incredibly effective at desalinating water and providing mineral-free water for use in photo or print shops.

Reverse Osmosis - Pros and Cons
The reverse osmosis process contains several downsides which make it an inefficient and ineffective means of purifying drinking water. The small pores in the membrane block particles of large molecular structure like salt, but more dangerous chemicals like pesticides, herbicides, and chlorine are molecularly smaller than water (Binnie et al, 2002). These chemicals can freely pass through the porous membrane. For this reason, a carbon filter must be used as a complimentary measure to provide safe drinking water from the reverse osmosis process. Such chemicals are the major contaminants of drinking water after municipal treatment.

Another downside to reverse osmosis as a method of purifying drinking water is the removal of healthy, naturally occurring minerals in water. The membrane of a reverse osmosis system is impermeable to natural trace minerals. These minerals not only provide a good taste to water, but they also serve a vital function in the body’s system. Water, when stripped of these trace minerals, can actually be unhealthy for the body.

Reverse osmosis also wastes a large portion of the water that runs through its system. It generally wastes two to three gallons of water for every gallon of purified water it produces. Reverse osmosis is also an incredibly slow process when compared to other water treatment alternatives."

From http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/refcap/preschooler/pnutrition/64401.html

cbcbd said:
But... after some research I found out about Reverse Osmosis filters. I haven't found anyone who has used it (and can't find one meant for the outdoors).
There are reverse osmosis filters designed for boat use. Don't know of any indended for hiking use.

Doug

I am not up on the latest water filters, which is why I asked.

I do know that in the past it's been an expensive and arduous process to desalinate water, often requiring high pressures, volumes of wasted water (the magnitude of 5-7 gallons for every one produced), and a lot of maintenance.

But, 10 years ago when I was running low, medium, and high pressure UV oxidation units I'd have laughed if you told me about one that would fit in the palm of your hand, so you never know where technology is going to go.

I try to keep up on the latest and greatest in the water industry as I'm an environmental engineer specializing in all forms of water treatment, but occasionally things do get by.

Pete_Hickey said:
If you've got the money, something like this:
http://survivalequipment.net/katadyn_kft.html

WOW..... that's some filter. I just looked up the description on MEC's website and found this:

Effective against bacteria, protozoa, cysts, parasites, algae, pollen, fungi, asbestos fibres, nuclear explosion debris, invisible dust particles, as well as, larger suspended particles and sediment.

This filter by MSR came out a couple of years ago too: MSR Filter

- Shayne

cbcbd said:
"The small pores of this membrane are restrictive to such organic compounds as salt and other natural minerals, which generally have a larger molecular composition than water. These pores are also restrictive to bacteria and disease-causing pathogens. Thus, reverse osmosis is incredibly effective at desalinating water and providing mineral-free water for use in photo or print shops.
"From url]http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/refcap/preschooler/pnutrition/64401.html[/url]

You've gotta wonder about someone who says salt(s) are "organic compounds". I haven't taken chemistry since 1969, but even I know that's wrong. :eek: :rolleyes:

Lawn Sale said:
I do know that in the past it's been an expensive and arduous process to desalinate water, often requiring high pressures, volumes of wasted water (the magnitude of 5-7 gallons for every one produced), and a lot of maintenance.

They're not small, inexpensive, or fast. At least the hand operated ones. They are designed for lifeboats. When lost at sea, one has an abundance of time, and wasting water is not an issue.

I read a study a few years ago that states you can drink seawater, starting in small doses and working your way up, without damage to the kidneys. To prove this theory one guy went sailing for weeks with no method of desalinization and no fresh water on board.

Still, I wouldn't want to if I didn't have to. :D

Lawn Sale said:
To prove this theory one guy went sailing for weeks with no method of desalinization and no fresh water on board.
...and... did he survive?
:D

Katadyn Hiker

Among thru-hikers that filter their water, the preferred filter is the Katadyn Hiker. The reason is that if pumps/filters water much faster than other filters such as the MSR.

The Katadin Guide model is much faster than the hiker model. For group use it gets the nod.