Hike with the wife - suggestions (Adk)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4check

Reaction score
The mother-in-law is coming - this is a good thing (no really) as she will watch the 2 youngsters. I was thinking of either Hurricane or Goodnow for a getaway day. My wife has done hikes such as Buck, Hadley, and Severance Hill. Would Hurricane have more of an issue of ice/snow? Neither of us have crampons but we could rent a pair of snowshoes for her.

Any other suggestions are welcome - we will be driving from Troy.

Snow Mountain is a nice mountain near Keene Valley which has some views of the Rooster Comb and Giant.

Sawyer Mountain near Indian Lake is a 2.2 mile round trip with views.

Treadway Mountain is a relatively easy hike with good views. It is a 7.8 mile round trip which is longer than the other hikes you mentioned. There was a couple of trail reports from the last month here and here.

The ADK Club has a page of hike ideas which includes Goodnow and Hurricane (and three above). The descriptions have some photos of the views. I don't know the current conditions, but I suspect Goodnow is bare bootable with perhaps some occasional ice. It does have a remarkable view.

Last edited:
There is a two-week old report on Hurricane Mt. here. I don't know how much those conditions have changed since the recent warmer weather. There is a more moderate but longer approach to it from Keene (hike #106 in ADK guidebook). Given the hikes your mother-in-law has hiked, and if you're looking for comparable, I'd choose Goodnow over Hurricane. Rooster Comb is another nice, short one in Keene Valley. In addition to the ones in you mentioned in Lake George area, Black and Sleeping Beauty are other good options.

I was on the Hurricane a couple weeks ago and the ice was everywhere. It was pretty easy to navigate around but the descent was a little tricky. If you have crampons bring them. Snowshoes maybe up high, maybe. It was real hardpack but the snow is rotten right now and where there is some real unstable. I climbed via Hurricane Road, East side, this side holds snow well into spring. If you go from Rte 9N the conditions will most likely be much better. I'd still bring the gear however.

I would also consider Mt. Adams. This peak is nestled in one of the most beautiful areas of the high peaks. Views of Colden, WallFace, McIntyres. RT you are looking at 4 miles, and there is a fire tower at the top which is often a good goal. All this for about double the effort of Severence. There is also a nearby ghost town which you could poke around in if you have extra time and are interested. Email me for pics.

The other Peak I would consider is Noonmark. The trailhead starts at Keene Valley, and the nearby "hiker hostel" allows you to shower for a scant $3 if you are planning on cleaning up for a nice meal afterword.

Personally I would recommend against Hurricane given the hikes you have listed. My parents did that one a couple of years ago, and they said it was fairly difficult. (They are not experienced hikers) Sounds like you are going for something a little more low-key.

My recommendation, get her interested, and soon we will see you back here asking about which 46er is the best one to take your wife on first!

-percious

Hurricane: 2000 ft. in 2.6 mi.(from 9N); 1700 ft. in 2.7 mi. (from East); 1600 ft. in 3.0 mi. from Keene
Noonmark (Stimpson): 2175 ft. in 2.5 mi.; (Felix Adler): 1900 ft. in 3.3 mi.
Adams: 1800 ft. in 2.4 mi.
Severance Hill: 700 ft. in 1.2 mi.
Buck 2000 ft. in 3.3 mi.
Hadley: 1526 ft. in 2 mi.

My favorite small hike in the area is Pitchoff, starting at the trailhead on rt. 73 just west of Upper Cascade Lake.

Ascend and traverse as many of the micro peaks as you like, then return the same way. Many views along the way!

Thanks, rhihn. I was going to post something like that (although probably not as good).

One additional piece of information: Buck is 2000', 3.3 miles from the Lake George side, but many people hike it from the Sly Pond Road side, where there is a lot less climbing (don't know the exact feet).

4check, you didn't say when the she's visiting. The day makes a big difference at this time of year. We may have some new snow coming! The other thing that makes a HUGE difference this time of year is the aspect (N or S facing).

Hurricane not too hard in summer, I'D recommend it for views & Not much different than Hadley, IMO.

Looks like some snow for 04/04 & early 04/05

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! We get out without the kids so rarely I have done nothing but search for the "right" hike for a week now. I think I'm leaning toward something easier/shorter with some views (like Goodnow) in the hopes of maximizing my chances of "Getaway Trip #2". I also considered Treadway, but my wife was concerned about the length and I wasn't sure how the parking would work out since (I think) it is at a campground.

I did fail to mention that the trip will probably be on April 18. I know there is snow predicted for tomorrow even down south in Troy.

I'd advise against Mt Adams. Great peak with terrific views, but the much of the trail follows an old stream bed. This time of year, its either going to be icy, or the snow will be undermined by running water.

Black Mountain is not too far up the road from Buck. It has good views as well as being the highest peak overlooking the Lake George area. It is a tad under 3 miles to the top. You can then retrace your steps down, or take the 5 mile trail back that can be accessed from the top. The 5 mile trail has some nice views. It also brings you by three nice ponds that you can lounge around by for a nice break before heading back to the car.

Thanks again for the feedback. My wife is now feeling a bit more "confident/ambitious" after getting a few good runs in during the last couple weeks. I was thinking of Blue Mountain or Vanderwhacker instead of Goodnow. Blue Mountain is not much longer, but it seems like more of a climb. I think Treadway may still be too long (but I plan on seeing that one by myself). Any thoughts?