Hikes near New London, N.H.?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOC-1

Reaction score
I'll be spending time with the family in New London, N.H. over the holiday weekend and would like to get some early morning exercise. I see Mt. Kearsarge is nearby. But the trail distances and elevation gains are on the diminutive side, at least starting from Rollins State Park. I've never hiked in this area. Anyone have suggestions for a hike/trail run? Ideal distance would be 5 - 7 miles RT with 1500+ feet of elevation gain. Thanks for any suggestions - Al

Mt. Sunapee is right there. It's OK as a peak, although I haven't been there in the summer.

Mt. Cardigan is a bit farther (est. 25 miles or so) and is a nice little peak, that can be as challenging or as easy as you'd like.

Both are ski areas, either lift-served (Sunapee) or backcountry (Cardigan) so the running would probably be OK.

Kearsarge is a nice peak with great views. From Winslow State park the loop using the Winslow Trail-Barlow Trail is 2 3/4 miles. I enjoyed this when my daughter was attending Colby Sawyer.

I have not done this Lincoln Trail to Kearsarge but it is a 9 mile round trip and close to New London.

Ragged Mountain

Ragged Mountain in Danbury and Andover is nearby too..up and back via the trail from Proctor Academy would be a 7.6 mile trip..Southern NH guidebook states the trail is rougher and more strenous than the distance and elevation gain indicates..it's only 6 miles from Mt. Kearsarge as the crows flies..

You can go over to Sunapee and up Andrew Brook Trail to Lake Solitude. See also http://www.srkg.com/

Tim

Excellent suggestion -- this route fits AOC-1's requirements pretty neatly.

Andrew Brook Trail to Lake Solitude Trail to Sunapee summit is 6.0 miles RT, with 1,650 feet elevation gain.

And the trailhead (on Mountain Road, off of NH 103 in Newbury) is a 10-mile/20-minute drive from the center of New London.

(All of this information, along with a map, is in the updated AMC Southern New Hampshire Trail Guide.)

Last edited:
This is where I usually go while we are on vacation in the area (my father-in-law has a cottage on Great Island in the middle of the lake.)

2371922850097994563S500x500Q85.jpg

Tim

Last edited:
I have not done this Lincoln Trail to Kearsarge but it is a 9 mile round trip and close to New London.
This trail is your best bet. It has the most elevation gain to the peak. The trail itself meanders with a short section after a mile on a snowmobile trail. The payback on the summit of Kearsage is worth it ~ the best views in south central NH!

We did Andrew Brook Trail at Sunapee yesterday. Is a nice trail. Good footing some nice viewing. I'd question the elevation gain. Certainly seemed pretty easy for 1650 over 3 miles. Book throws in another 250 ft in gain on the return trip too. We drove by the trailhead initially so watch for a gravel turnout area 1-2 miles up mtn road on the right. Trail head sign is located in the woods a bit and even trail entrance was not real obvious as we passed it.

Ragged Mountain in Danbury and Andover is nearby too..up and back via the trail from Proctor Academy would be a 7.6 mile trip..Southern NH guidebook states the trail is rougher and more strenous than the distance and elevation gain indicates..it's only 6 miles from Mt. Kearsarge as the crows flies..

I hiked this on May 1 and the "rougher and strenuous" bit was very true. In part, that is because there is a fairly steep col between the east and west peaks, but even more, there were many blowdowns on that stretch, especially as we approached the west peak (top of ski area). I would think it very possible that they have since been cleared, since that Trail is maintained.

You would be rewarded by some great views and probably far less company than on the other main peaks that have been mentioned. Its location gives fine prospects of those, including Cardigan:

853681292_T5NQU-M-1.jpg

Sunapee:

853681194_v3ykx-M-1.jpg

and Kearsarge:

853680763_pDyng-M-1.jpg

Where the trail heads west across the col, an unsigned but clear side-path to the NE takes you .4 mile over the Ragged Mtn. true summit to another view-ledge, lengthening your hike to about 9 miles.

To top it all, Ragged is on the New England 100 Most Prominent List (but I didn't know that then).

Thanks all for the suggestions. Hiked/jogged the Andrew Brook/Lake Solitude option this morning and it was perfect. Back at the motel now and my wife and daughter are still asleep.

For some shorter hikes

Crecenties(?)/Philbrick Bog between the hospital & 89

The Fells/ The Hay estate on Rt 103A