Hikes that overlook fireworks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
Heya...looking for a new place to combine a hike with a view of fireworks this year. I know a popular spot to do this include Black Cap in North Conway, and I've caught numerous displays on Washington, but what other peaks could overlook a good display...

While generally curious, I'd love to hear specifically about a few in the Lakes Region...

Thanks...

Maybe up on Red Hill you could catch fireworks from Weirs Beach tomorrow night? Probably could see Ashland's too if they're doing them this year.

FYI - no fireworks at Mt Washington Hotel/Bretton Woods this year. Smaller display in Twi Mountain by the stone church at the intersection of Rtes 3 & 302.

Back a long time ago i did a over night hike and slept on top of Old Speck fire tower. We watched over 10 fire works. It was the best thing, it was a clear night and the sky was all colors. I would say its the worth the trip

The Lions Club puts on a great display on the night of the 4th (whatever night of the week) in a park on the south shore of Lake Ossipee, off Rte. 25 a few miles east of 16. I imagine the view from the Green Mtn. firetower would be terrific, on a clear night.

On top of Cardigan you can see fireworks from Bristol and other places as well. Jennings peak or Tecumseh you could see Waterville

If you ever want to see the Boston 4th of July fireworks the blue skyline trail of the Blue Hills trail network in MA has a good view of Boston from one of the hills on that trail.

Last year on Stratton Mountain firetower was the best Fourth of July I think I've ever had. Hugh & Jeanne, the caretakers, came out to hang out with my trail crew and me on what was the first clear night in what seemed like weeks. Hugh managed to identify fireworks displays from Albany, Williamstown, Jamaica, Brattleboro, Manchester, and a handful of other towns, and we saw about a dozen more that we couldn't quite identify, possibly as far away as Hanover. Pretty crazy.

Funny... looks like another rainy week leading up to the 4th this year. I wonder if it'll clear up in time for the fireworks.

Tecumseh or Noon Peak for Waterville Valley 'works

You could try Tecumseh from the top of the ski area (High Country) or several places on the trails. It would be a relative easy walk down, too.

Much more challenging would be Noon Peak, where you could sit on the ledges looking back toward town. Descending in the dark, especially after all this rain (Sandwich Mountain Trail tends to be slick with algae-covered rocks) could be tricky.

The fireworks are scheduled for 9pm on the Fourth.

A couple of years ago I hiked up to Mt. Major on July 3 and saw about a dozen fireworks displays from the various towns that you can see from there (some, naturally, were pretty far away). The closest one was in Alton Bay. It wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be, though, due to the fact that you couldn't hear them.

Of course, you should probably find out when the fireworks are happening in Alton Bay (whether it's tonight or tomorrow) before you consider this...

For me, the only way to watch fireworks is from the ground looking more or less straight up. Which I can do, because I live only two blocks away from the park where my town puts on its display. I can walk over a half hour ahead of time and plunk down my lawn chair a few feet away from the front of the viewing area. Sweet!

I'm with you Bob(s)... when we lived in MA, we could see five-six-seven shows at once from our widow's walk, but they were all very far away...

These days, we like to be right down on the pond with good friends when they shoot the 'works straight overhead. It is literally a moving experience being up close (having grown up with a Dad who hated traffic and would always find a fringe vantage to improve the odds of a quick get-away).

I may try the view-from-the-top Tecumseh thing some year, though.

In the ADK...

I am not sure if it is still an annual thing, but years ago we caught a great fireworks show from the top of Giant Mountain - I am pretty sure everything was launched from the golf course.

From what I heard at the MWO photo presentation awhile back, Foss Mountain in Eaton is a great place to see fireworks. If I get back in the Lakes Region at a reasonable time, I may head on up.

Stowe VT had a nice fireworks display last year. We were in between Camels Hump and Mansfield, stayed in Stowe, and got the fireworks as a bonus.

Supposed to be a display from Loon Mtn in Lincoln on Saturday - not sure where the best view would be, but the cliffs on Little Coolidge come to mind.

fireworks from Kearsarge

When the 4th is on a Saturday, increasing the number of towns that hold their fireworks on the same night, I've been on the summit of Kearsarge, and could see fireworks from at least a dozen towns. It was an impressive sight, but not as impressive as I had hoped. We had to keep changing where we were looking, to catch the latest burst, almost as frustrating as telling someone to look where you just saw a shooting star. And I discovered that fireworks, like waterfalls, are really best seen from below. But, seeing many displays from a summit was a thing to do, or at least a thing to have done.

Some years ago I stayed in the old cabin On Belvedere Mt in Vermont..fireworks from the tower all up and down Lake Champlain and in many surrounding towns..it was pretty moving..

but not quite as moving as downtown Meredith right overhead with lots of booms..:eek: got our spot all scoped out from previous years

Happy Fourth!!

little late

Chocorua seemed to be a popular spot for fireworks viewing on Saturday Night...people stayed in the Liberty Cabin for the overnight.