Hiking around Cathedral Ledge in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshie

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm taking a friend to the Whites this weekend for their first snowshoe/skiing adventures. I was trying to come up with a short, scenic hike around North Conway and I thought of Cathedral Ledge and Echo Lake. Is this a good choice? Thanks.

~ Marshie

I hike to Peaked in November, it's less then 2K and will take you around an hour, maybe a little more, to reach the summit. The round trip is under 4 miles. If you want to go with a somewhat-longer hike, there's always South Moat, that would be a 5-mile round trip. Great views of not only the North Conway area, but a lot of surrounding peaks.

I second Peaked Mt.
Nice, easy hike nice views.
right in North Conway.
Hiking around the base of Cathedral is very fun (on the roads) Ice climbers on the cliff are entertaining. Stay on the road though, unless you have a helmet.
A hike around Echo Lake is also fun.
Sandy

Another short, easy, scenic hike near North Conway is Black Cap off of Hurricain Mountain Road. It's only about 2 miles round trip and it has 360 degree views into Maine to the east, the Pressies to the north, and Mount Cranmore and the Pemi to the west. But before you go you should check to see that HM Road is open in winter. I seem to remember that it has been closed at times.

you can hike around the base of cathedral ledge without a helmet. just be alert.

it's cool if there are climbers out. check out the mega classics like repentance, if you can.

pics of climbers on that route:
http://leaf.smugmug.com/Ice-and-Alp...and-Super/11038174_9QWRq#772237021_kEViu-L-LB

the trail around the base of the ledge can be done without snowshoes.. it can be tied into some other snowshoe hike though in the area. i recommend taking this detour and being close to the ledge. i've been there alot and it still impresses me.