Hiking in the rain?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you hike in the rain?

• Total voters
jrichard said:
Nice flow to those photos. :)

My trail runners were soaked this weekend (as expected, of course). While sloshing around I took to wondering if goretex lined boots would actually work in a trail/torrent like your first photo. Or would the magic stuff eventually get saturated and leak (or perhaps the water level would get higher than the tops first)?

Actually, I was wearing goretex lined trail shoes. They work great in this kind of weather when everything is sloppy (and for cleaning drainages too :) ) I save them for just that.

On the way up to Greenleaf on Saturday my ASOLO TPS 520 GV Boots kept the water at bay. The next morning they were dry. My wife’s trail runners, however, were a different story.

I love hiking in the rain, it upgrades my equipment each time I do it. I find better ways to keep dry and make equipment changes as well as make some of my own equipment adapted to my need.

Puddle jumpers for instance. I was out in last year's monsoon Columbus weekend. The streams were so swolen, crossing was near imposable via rock hoping. We just sloged right through the raging brooks, shoes n all. We got soaked to the bone. I now carry what i call puddle jumpers. I made large stuff bags to fit over your boots, right up to your knee, of silnylon with waterproofed seams. I slip em on and walk right through streams now and maintain perfectly dry boots.

Once at our destination we realized we had no where to get out of the rain aside from staying in our tents which was a task to put up in the pouring rain. Now we each carry a 5x10 foot tarp made of silnylon which becomes our respite and a perfect place to set up our tents with the front doors out of the rain.

I like the rain but not if it's very cold.
My first ascent of the Rockpile was in 75mph winds, rain, temp 55. It was also my birthday. I loved it!
Many years ago I went camping in VT (June) for 10 days. It started to rain the day I left and it stopped when I was packing to come home.Their might have been a few very brief rain-free moments but it always started back up. Either drizzling or pouring. I did have a lean-to but I was soaked the entire time. So were the two big dogs. We hiked daily and at first I hated the whole big wet mess but being very stubborn bailing out was not an option. I gradually started to enjoy myself and when the vacation ended, I truly felt like I had accomplished a great thing. This was the turning point. I have not minded hiking or camping in the rain since.I especially love big storms at night if I'm in my lean-to looking out at the lightning streaking the sky.
I don't think I would want to climb the Bonds in inclement weather but I do love woodswalking in the rain!

If rain is in the forcast I will cancel trips farther from home. instead I will hike more local. I have always liked the smell and feel of the woods when it is raining. I especially like hikes along streams and waterfalls. Nothing beats the sound of water cascading over rocks.

When I was younger, I used to hike in any weather. Now that I'm older, wiser and more feeble I stay away from rocky trails in the rain. But if I'm backpacking, I can't stay couped up in a tent for long.

I think I went through quite a stretch or so that if I only went on sunny days, I'd not have hiked at more than once or twice in 2002, 2003 & most of 2004 & some hikes in 2005.

That Said, I've just about been the only person on Mt. Washington when rain down low on a weekday in October that was freezing up high closed the road & visibility meant no one was riding the cog.... :D