Hiking in the Rain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you hike in the rain?

• No way!

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Not a long hike, maybe just a real short hike

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yeah, why not, I will give the peak a shot

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • Yes, and I wouldnt even give it a though

Votes: 24 45.3%

• Total voters
I don't mind it so much any more. It seems that my favorite trips are generally in the cold wet in between seasons of late fall and early spring where rain and near freezing temps are the norm.

IMO, good 3 layer GoreTex is key, as is bomber waterproof plastic bags inside your stuff sacks to preserve dry clothing and sleeping bags.

I no longer worry about staying dry. But, I can stay comfortably warm.

The only thing that concerns me about rain is trail damage and water crossings.
I hate water crossings.

Here's a long TR about rain....
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/trip-reports/sabbaday.txt

It really depends

I voted that I would hike in the rain but I don't think I would go hiking if the forecast called for steady rain and I had the opportunity to reschedule.

If I'm 2-3 hours from home and it's raining when I get there, I'm hiking!

rain

Nearly impossible to thru-hike in the Eastern US without living in the wet stuff, it comes with the territory.

Walt

Back some years ago, if it wasn't raining we'd be rock climbing. If it was raining, we'd go hiking. These days, I don't get out as often and I try to go on overnight trips when the weather is predicted to be nice. I really like sleeping in a tent in a light rain, the sound of the rain hitting the fly and knowing I'm perfectly dry and safe inside.

Rain and Mud

I would rather hike in the rain and mud, than the heat and hard packed trails. Cant tell how bad im sweating when soaked by the rain. If chilly, Just put on a wind breaker of some type.
But, i dont enjoy getting in the sleeping bag soaked and wet.
steveo P.S. i just do love being out in the woods in the rain!!!

jfb said:
I really like sleeping in a tent in a light rain, the sound of the rain hitting the fly and knowing I'm perfectly dry and safe inside.

jfb, that's one of my favorite things. I can't help but smile when my gear and I are all secure in the tent and the light rain begins. (If it's heavy rain, then I'm always wondering if the floor will get wet.) It's better than, though related to, walking in the rain w/ good raingear.

Mark