Hiking in the Rain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you hike in the rain?

• No way!

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Not a long hike, maybe just a real short hike

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yeah, why not, I will give the peak a shot

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • Yes, and I wouldnt even give it a though

Votes: 24 45.3%

• Total voters
I've cycled, hiked and worked out in the rain for many years and sometimes you just get wet. The only time I would worry about attaining a summit would be if the temperature was getting down into the 40's and it was exposed to the wind. If it was close no problem, but an hour or so away would require a little thought.

It's funny... 99.9% of my hikes are overnights. I HATE HATE HATE starting a hike in the rain!!!! I leave my car feeling warm and dry; to get soaked instantly is such a drag! But after I have been out for a few hours I don't give it a second thought. In the summer when it's warm out I don't even wear rain gear, I just through on a nylon wind shirt to keep from being chilled as I dry off. Sometimes I actually enjoy the rain. So I guess it's all in your head, or at least for me it is. As far as peak bagging, I go more for the experience of being out than the goal of reaching some summit. Poor visibility doesn't matter as long as conditions remain safe.

I love rain, and would never cancel a hike because of it. We were hiking on the beach yesterday in cold rain, before it changed to snow. It was beautiful.

"Everything's better when wet."

- Steve Miller, "Jungle Love"

Hiking in the rain is not my favorite thing to do, but it never stops me from a hike. If the temp is decent, I won't wear rain gear. I get soaked more from wearing it (sweat) than from the rain. I do hate setting up camp or breaking camp in the rain, however.

I LOVE hiking in the rain in the summer when the temps are warm and rain at any time of year doesn't get me to cancel my trip BUT if I know it will be pouring the entire trip, I pick a different sort of hike that when it is sunny and the visibility is great. Rain has never stopped me from hiking . . .

sli74

Generally, my rule is I don't mind the weather being wet or cold -- just not both at the same time. It would be unusual for me to cancel a trip just because it's going to be wet-- the exception would be in the winter.

In fact, it rained for at least one day on a majority of my backpacking trips over the summer -- I just consider it another part of the adventure.

- Ivy

There are too many variables to make a choice. Some places are best enjoyed in the rain. Strolling along with an umbrella is quite nice. But cold, sideways, wind-driven rain is not nice. Slopping through mud is not good for me or the trail. So rain would probably be my least favorite weather to hike in and if I do set out in the rain I would choose my hike carefully. But if it rains while I’m out there I’m okay with that too.

I've never let rain stop me. I really don't mind it too much on a dayhike other than it typically interferes with one of my main reasons for hiking - the views. I really don't like prolonged rain on an overnighter. No matter how good your shelter and your raingear is, you end up wet to some extent and I find it just plain uncomfortable to be damp for a prolonged period of time. It's a lot more bearable when it's warm out. The worst situation is temps in the 30's and a steady rain...:mad:

I agree with AlpineSummit, but Carole makes a good point. I've enjoyed hiking in many a sprinkle to even moderate rain in the summer. Why do we carry raingear, anyway? Answer: to be prepared for days that begin cloudless, such as the day we did Giant/Rocky Peak Ridge and got totally soaked from a sudden downpour in the col. We pretty much laughed that one off. But the colder the weather, the less I like rain.

Rain is not my favorite precipitation to hike in, but unless it's dangerous (i.e., lightning and/or deluge), I don't have a problem going out in the rain.
Some really memorable hikes have been in the rain. I have started out in a deluge at the trailhead and 20 minutes later I had climbed out of the rain into the mists and then into clouds blowing around a clear sky. I've come down off the summit of Washington in July in a sideways rain and the trail turned into a fast flowing stream. I've started up Madison in the rain, which turned to snow, and it was a full fledged blowing snow storm at the Hut. It was gorgeous.
You'll notice that the woods have a totally different personality when it's raining. Different sounds, different smells, different textures. It's nice to see the hills in all their different moods.

JohnL

If I let the weather dictate my adventures, I would never get past the front door.

First time on the AT, Rain
First 4000 footer, Rain
First Winter overnighter, ya you know.
I could always just jump in the shower with my gear on but the wife says the crampons scratch the porcelin.

I just learned to be that kind of prepared right from the get go.

Sounds of Rain to post by

I recently hiked into Bradley Pond late on a Friday in an attempt to bag the three Santanoni peaks on a Saturday. Woke Saturday to rain, steady and sometimes heavy rain with a few flakes of snow. Was 35F, and I had ONLY brought a poncho as it was a 30% chance of showers that day. In all cotton gear I trudged 5 miles back to the car with 45 pounds of gear on my back, soaked through and as close to hypothermia as I will ever come.

Since then I've bought the approrpiate gear so that NOTHING like that happens ever again. Lesson learned.

I will hike in moderate to heavy rain only if it's like 60F or warmer. Light rain in any conditions assuming I have my rain gear. I prefer no rain, sun, and no bugs or rocks. :p

Hiking yes, crossing no

In the cold I won't. But in the summer, sure! I love a hike and even an overnight in the rain, especially hanging in the hammock. The sound of rain on the fly is wonderfully soothing, and the smell of the rainfall is like a sedative.

I do prefer to have a shelter or lean-to available for dinner. Squatting in the rain to cook takes away much of the magic.

HOWEVER ... I had better not have any tricky or risky water crossings, otherwise I'm turning back or staying home. After my Wild River experience I understand just what it means to easily get in but almost not get out due to overnight rainfall...

this is a joke right?

I hike exclusively in the Catskills if I didn't go out in the rain I would never hike, it seems it rains 3 out of 5 times I am out.
With that said... Here is how I feel:
I dont mind the shower here and there the steady rain through the whole trip is a drag.
You are always wet.
Day hikes no problem.
Steady rain on overnighters or multi- nights no thanks.
Temps. are a big factor
I was out three weeks ago upper 30's low 40's and freezing rain
I stayed out to finish two peaks because I knew I was going to be in my car once I got down, with change of clothes
It sometimes depends on my mood.
AL

As long as its not a cold rain in the late fall, I dont really mind getting a few sprinkles on me. In the heat of the summer, I welcome it!

BirdHead Studios

Rain? For a day hike it may kill my motivation- I'll stay in the city and do something city like.

For a backpack, short of major storm event, I go. To me it's one of the things you just have to deal with on an overnight trip.

That said, I *hate* that rain that occurs right around freezing. I've done zero days in conditions like that about as often as I've suffered out in it.

When completing my NE100, it rained (or snowed) for 17 of the last 20 peaks (thankfully #100 was a beautiful, cool day). I even gotten talked into extending a short Cannon Ball hike in the rain to include all 3 Cannon Balls and both Kinsmen on a dismal, hard rain day! (thanks Michelle and Post'rBoy - it was a blast!). I guess, part of it has to do with where you are going and who you are with. On the other hand, I seem to deal better with the rain when solo, so go figure. Hiking in the rain is a lot of fun if you have the gear and attitude in place before you leave your car.

AS many have said, if it's not going to be cold, OK. And if footing is not going to be much of an issue, OK. I find that taking down the tent in the rain is worse than putting it up, though I don't like either.
I have pretty good rain gear and like the feeling of being properly dressed (hmm, I should give that a try at work and around town, eh?) and comfortable in an otherwise uncomfortable environment. I get a good feeling about it that I don't quite understand.
But it's still hard first starting out in the rain, and maybe harder still deciding to do so when there are alternatives. Once I get moving and am warm, and if the glasses don't fog up, it's pleasant.

Mark