Hiking Solo?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am considering doing my first solo this summer. guess i should be extra careful since i am a big oaf. liable to fall and smack my mellon.

I am more cautious when I am doing my solo hikes which is the majority of the time.
I have noticed that I am more appreciative of company on a hike because it is so infrequent.
Surprisingly my confidence increased after having an injury on a solo hike. I learned that the world does not necessarily come to an end if you get hurt alone and if it does you might not know the difference (hopefully.)
I would say it's the pain factor that keeps me cautious when I'm alone.
Here in the East you might have some spooky nights out in the woods but the fear of an actual wildlife attack is pretty minimal and I use extra caution picking a place to bivy if I think I'm in an area that is easily accessible to near by trailheads or places townies might be hanging out partying in the woods.
Other than that I head out for the day or for the week solo no problem...if some day I have to haul my bones out of the woods then so be it...
I like when I talk it over with a friend or two in Quebec about the "what if's."..what if this or that happens when your out in the bush.." then, my friend, you are having a "bad day'... and of course a bad day could be your last day.
That said I still have yet to build my confidence in summer time bush whacks though I am ok when there is snow cover.