Hiking Solo?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My best wildlife sightings have been when I'm hiking solo. Hiking solo can be a spiritual experience as well, especially if you go out for an extended trip. I find that when I go out into the back country alone for more than 3 days my mind tends to lose a lot of its "chatter" and I start to adjust to the rhythms of nature.......

This is a difficult thing to describe w/o seeming pretentious but I feel you can connect with something much larger than yourself if you're open to it......

I would recommend that everyone try it at one time or another.

At first I wasn't crazy about hiking alone. I kept thinking about the what if's. It wasn't until I was at the summit of Algonquin and didn't have enough daylight to do Iroquois but decided to do it anyway that I started losing my fears. I came out in the dark and you know what? I wasn't afraid of hiking in the dark anymore (not sure why I was to begin with). After I thought through all the what if's I could think of, I wasn't afraid of hiking on my own anymore.

I'm sensible and have turned back more than once when I felt the conditions were unsafe (even 100 ft from the summit of Wright when it was icy with tremendous winds). I've always been able to calm myself down when a panicky feeling would arise and think through the situation.

I enjoy not having to meet people at a certain time and place, being able to choose my hike on the drive up or at the trailhead or at a trail junction, not worying if I'm hiking too fast or too slow, or if the other person has made plans after the hike, or if they're not going to want to go to the Black Bear at the Northway exit 26 after the hike for a bite to eat, etc.

I enjoy the solitude and lack of pressure of hiking alone. I also enjoy talking with people along the trail. I like being able to join people along the trail for a while if I want.

I don't have overnight gear yet but I won't have a problem backpacking alone either.

Btw, I won't hike below 20 degrees. It's just too darn cold. My glasses always fog up and freeze. For me, temperatures below 20 degree aren't very forgiving and a mistake could cost me my life. It's not worth it. It's not fun either!

I'll do popular trails in the winter alone. I'll hike popular "can't miss the trail" herd paths and trails in the warmer months alone. Other than that, I'll go with someone, preferably someone who knows the trail.

I usually post on www.adkforum.com

Having entertained the prospect of hiking solo in the higher elevations in winter, the tragic events of recent days and the comments posted by the members of this forum have provided me with invaluable information and a healthy respect for what can go wrong.

However, if there is a willingness to turn back and wait for another day rather than pushing on to the summit, it seems that some, if not many of the problems that occur can be avoided. Even in the summer months, there are times when the threat of a storm above treeline has caused me to turn around and head back down rather than take a chance.

We take enough chances in what we do each day, my goal is to enjoy a walk in the woods, a beautiful view, or to get away from the hectic pace of life if even for a few short hours. Many times that can best be enjoyed alone, but never to the point of risking my life in its pursuit.

I enjoy hiking alone or with only one or two people because I prefer the silence, and with less hikers you are more likely to see wildlife.
Yet, in real harsh conditions this time of year if I was planning a hike up high I would try and go with someone.

While I'm not ready to go solo on remote sparsely traveled trails in the winter, I have no problem going solo when broken ankle is not going to pose a significant survival.

Sometimes a good solo hike or backpack does my heart and soul good.

It may be just me, but I want company more during the drive to the trail than on the trail itself.

Weighing the Risks

I'm enjoying these posts about soloing.

I've been hiking 42 years on and off trail, mostly solo. For me, soloing heightens the adventure rewards, and also the risk awareness. I try to be mindful of the possibility of equipment failure, injury, and illness, and the probability of encountering others en route.

I will not hike solo in grizzly country. The last time I was in Banff, a solo backpacker was killed by a grizzly who had been stalking him in a remote pass. That same week, a fisherman was killed by another grizzly, who had partially buried his corpse at the scene of the kill. I have hiked trails posted with bear warnings, but always with others. Statistics show that parties of four or larger offer the most safety. Grizzlies do attack parties of two.

I have often hiked solo in mountain lion country, particularly the Mt. Wrightson wilderness in the Santa Rita mountains south of Tucson. That involves calculated risk. In recent decades, most mountain lion attacks there have been on people smaller than myself, usually children. I assume my size lowers the probability of attack to acceptable levels.

Here in the NH Lakes Region where I live, I have been out hiking and bushwhacking every day through the three arctic spells we have had so far this winter, accompanied only by my golden retriever. Even at lower elevations, this involves calculated risk. If one were to become injured or ill en route, especially off trail, what then..? The wind-chill on some of the ponds and bogs I have crossed must have been minus 60.

A superb tracking dog is a wonderful trail companion. The dog's ability to follow a trail through deep snow is a marvel to behold. One can learn a lot from a dog out there in the "wilderness". A dog requires higher maintenance in arctic conditions, though. Ice build up between the pads of its paws has to be removed periodically. I don't know what my dog would do if I became too incapacitated to go on. I hope I never have to find out.

Been reading this thread with interest.

You see, I'm now recovering from a few broken bones, concussion, a bunch of stitches, lots of bruises... from a freak accident on an easy solo hike. That's why I missed seeing a bunch of you at the reent gathering.... It has me out of action for at least a few more weeks.

I don't want to give too many details in a public forum, but it was an EASY hike... something weird just happened. I've solo hiked (in winter) most of the ADK46... The ones I didn't were the easier ones. Then something happens on an easy hike.

And now, parents, siblings, co-workers.. all telling me not to hike alone.

I'm not sure yet how I think.... time will tell.

Pete_Hickey

Pete I guess your unfortunate accident proves to us all that no matter how experienced you are something could happen any time on any trail and that is the risk we take when soloing.
I hope you get well soon and dont' abandon your passion for hiking because of this unfortunate event.
If you are ever down in the catskills I would love to accompany you.
Best of luck for a full recovery and keep on hiking.

I often hike alone, mostly because I would not want to impose my crawling pace on others but also because I like the solitude and independance. I can take as many pictures of twigs and puddles as I like. Stare into the distance as long as I care to. Generally not bug someone else.

I always err on the side of caution and this can slow me down even more as I size up any steep sections, icy, snowy or just plain ugly. I'll put crampons or snowshoes on earlier than most and leave them on longer as well. Traction is a big safety factor.

I often joke that I'll hike ten miles and then trip in the parking lot ten feet from my car. This is not such a far fetched notion as we tend to get complacent when we near our destination. A high proportion of traffic accidents occur within a few miles of peoples homes.

I have been out in some pretty nasty weather but draw the line at severe cold and wind chills. I don't have a problem turning around. This last weekend I decided against even a local hike due to the cold and strong winds.

There is always someone aware of my planned route and any options to vary that. The first thing I do when I get back to my car is call in to say I'm safely down. This person knows my latest intended return time but also knows not to start calling out the cavalry five minutes after that time.

I consider the drive to and from the mountains to be the riskiest part of the whole endeavour.

Just my 2c.

Bob

Although I’m relatively new to winter hiking (three years), I have done a few solo hikes that in retrospect could have gotten me into big trouble if even the slightest thing went wrong. As a result, I now try and find a partner to lessen my risk and to also ease any fears my wife may have. Generally most of my solo hikes are in the spring/summer/fall and are in areas where no one is ever truly alone, so if something happens, help is not far off.

The only hike that is a yearly solo is when I do trail maintenance on the Davis Path. I have to do three trips a year, (I normally do five) and my wife can only join me for one or two trips. It is a long day averaging around 14 to 16 hours and the only time I will run into anyone is on the summit of Mt. Isolation towards the end of the day. Even though the stretch from Mt. Isolation to Mt. Davis (my section) is rarely traveled (at least I have never seen a soul while doing maintenance) I never get the feeling that I am at risk. I always carry extra provisions and a shelter so if something does happen, I can always just hunker down for the night.

Part of me likes the solo aspect of the hike because I am free to hike at my own pace and take detours if the mood strikes me, but part of me misses the companionship and camaraderie that comes with hiking with others. Since my wife loves to hike and joins me 90% of the time, and I can occasionally go off by myself, I can have it both ways so to speak.

Peter Miller, your post made me think when you were talking about mountain lions. They were the only thing that has ever made me kind of spooked while hiking solo. While hiking the Colorado trail solo I did run across footprints a few times. There had been reports that year of a couple attacks on humans and it really made me think about them. More than I cared to. I was much more worried about an encounter with one of them than a black bear. I did carry bear spray. I also didn't wander around after dark and used my Ursack to store my food. But as you can see, I didn't end up as lunch and a big pile of scat on the trail. :D

I definitely like solo hikes. If the choice is not to hike or hike alone, I'll go solo everytime. While chasing the NE100, I had put a fairly ambitious timetable to do the last 19 of them (3 months). I also had some thoughts of throwing in a few other hikes in that stretch (Jefferson and a 4 day LT hike), so I needed to go rain or shine on the 100 highest hikes. Solo was a way of life on a few of these hikes (7). I also get a bit of the nighttime willies (ok, a lot), so I threw in an overnight where I knew I'd be solo for nearly the entire trip (I saw 2 people on Stratton, but no one beyond the summit, or the entire next day back to the road or on Dorset later in the day). Fortunately the 5.5 inches of rain that we got in a 24 hour period helped to keep my mind focused. In any event, I had a blast!

As for solo's in general, I do relatively easier trips. In winter, I try to do trips that I've previously done, or easier, well travelled routes. I avoid a winter route where it was unlikely that I'd see anyone (although I did Passaconaway, and saw no one in parking lot or trail). I've not ventured above treeline solo in winter, but with the right conditions, would love to!

Hey Sherpa! I'll venture above treeline solo with you anytime.... oh, wait a minute.... ;)

Bob

Out of all my hikes I've only hiked 4 or 5 times with other people since I was 18. This is not counting trail crew or SAR Missions.

I've always liked the idea of getting out by myself and being alone. I work in a very busy Teen Center in a Boys & Girls Club and I'm around people (the teens, co-workers, and their parents) all day. It is amazing to be out somewhere all alone. I find that I usually peak at odd times and often hike in the winter so I can be "alone" a lot of the time.

I've been to Gray Knob and Crag Camp in the area of 15 times. Only 3 times has their been more than 5 people at the one I stayed at. Now out of those 15 times I've only been up 3 times in summer/fall so go figure.

Solo hiking is very much different than hiking with a partner and very different than hiking with a group. I like solo the best, but I have to admit it would be nice to have someone out there to say "WOW that is awsome huh"? Only if I can get my wife out there or find a partner!

I'll be sure to see you at the next NH Gathering!

I just did the big loop of Whiteface and Passaconaway from Ferncroft, solo, on a cold, wet, rainy day. It was very invigorating and very fulfilling.

When I got to the south summit ledges, I was very nervous. One slip anywhere along there and I was looking at anything from a serious injury to death, be it immediate or from the resulting overnight exposure.

Then, past the ledges, I felt one of the greatest feelings of accomplishment I've ever had.

Was it worth it? Yes. Was it risky? You bet! Would I do it again? Umm ...
:D

prefer company, but...

I prefer company, but it often doesn't work out that way for a couple reasons. First, it's not easy to get schedules lined up, and second, if I want to do any long hikes I generally can't find anyone who is interested or able to keep up. I believe the most important thing when hiking solo is that someone knows where you are and when you are expected to be out. As I type this response I am serving as the lifeline for a friend who is spending several days solo in a remote corner of the High Peaks region. If he doesn't call by Monday evening, I will personally check the trailhead for his vehicle, and if it is still there I will activate a SAR.
For difficult/long hikes and winter hikes, I also carry a cell phone and keep the outside world updated on my position. That way if I don't return the scope of a SAR can be narrowed down and I can be found more quickly.

I hike solo mast of the times for various reasons. for one thing i dont know that many hikers, no one in my family hikes and only a couple at work. ever time i ask them they have something scheduled that weekend. another thing is i like to go when i am ready and not wait around for other people. also i do not know other people's skill level. someone might be to fast or to slow. i met someone from this forumn on hough and we thought about doing sawteeth the next weekend. when i saw how fast he was i backed out.

safety net

I almost always hike solo. When headed out for extended trips I ALWAYS leave a safety net in place. I let someone know where I'm going, my driving route to get there, and expected stops. If I have a change of plans once I'm in the area, we've agreed that I'll leave a note in my glove box. We agree ahead of time on an expected call time, which I NEVER EVER exceed, even if I have to find a pay phone. I also send an email or make a call prior to leaving, to confirm that I've gone. I leave the names/numbers of local authorities to contact should I not call. Sometimes it's a pain, but at least if break a leg, I know someone will be looking for me and that they'll know roughly where to look. If you leave a safety net, they should know the major gear you carry (what pack or tent to look for), your car's plate, and the car's VIN.

This next part sounds a bit paranoid, but is another item we recently added to the safety net. It's something I learned that a parent I work with uses with their child. Any notes and/or calls should include a "safe" word. That way, if you're somehow being forced to leave a note or make a call, if you leave out the word, the safety net will know that although you're saying you're fine, you're actually not.

Hiking solo

I freguently hike solo- at any time of the year you may find woodstrider out alone in the woods having a great time. But sometimes I like company. These are just different aspects of experiencing the outdoors. I also accept the risk of going solo along with the rewards.

Hike your own Hike! Cheers:cool: :cool: :cool:

I do about half of my hikes solo, and really enjoy it. This past winter season, I hiked in the mountains at least once a month from Jan-April. I had a companion for all but two of those, as a concession to safety. On one of those, I would have appreciated some company on my unscheduled bivy along Slide Brook. When I go back next month, I'll plan my hikes as solo trips, but will probably post the outing on this forum and gladly hike with any other interested trekkers.