hiking suggestions SE New Hampshire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterM

Reaction score
I'm from Plymouth, MA and as much as I enjoy hiking the whites, Dad has a camp in Epsom ( between Concord & Portsmouth )

staying there & getting in some good hikes - not necessarily views - theres Pawtuckaway & Bear Brook ( I've never done ) and Blue Job ( I did years ago )

any suggestions - I'm ok to drive a bit. I just did Monadnock and have sights on Pack Monadnock - I hear thats really good - but thats really farther than I prefer to go

Thanks / Peter

There is Oak Hill, near Concord. I have a PDF of a map of the area from the Concord Conservation Commission, but their site seems to have imploded into a single, content-free, page :confused:

If you PM me an email address I can send you the map.

Try some stuff around Lake Winnipesaukee. That's not very far from Epsom at all. There's the Belknaps on the West side of the lake and the Ossipees on the East Side of the Lake. Both afford some opportunities for really nice hikes plus some views. On clear days, you can see North into the Whites from many of them.

Much of the Belknaps are discussed in the AMC Southern New Hampshire Guide and there's a thread somewhere on this board that discusses a recently revised Trail Map for the Ossipees.

In terms of local hikes close to Epsom - Blue Job (which you've already done but which I would contend has some great views) and Saddleback mountain in Deerfield which has some decent limited views (but an easy hike). Kearsarge and Sunapee aren't very far from Concord either.

Toward the west, (about an hour away from Epsom) is Skatutakee and Thumb Mountains which is a nice short day hike with views to Monadnock. Gap Mountain near Monadnock is another good short hike if you're in the area.

I'd recommend Rocket21's website as a good resource for hikes in Belknap & Ossipees.

http://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/

I just got back from a trail run in the blue job area and the views were awesome today.The mount Shaw/Flag area has great hiking as do the belknaps.The east gilford trail has great scenery.Saddleback as well as parker mtn. in strafford offer good quick hikes.Also the area around squam has some great hikes;percival-morgan.

For hike suggestions, why not check out AMC Southern New Hampshire trail guide.

Blue Job

Blue Job is worth re-visiting just to see the cab of the tower. It was completely done over and it's as nice as my living room. Oak floors, birch panelling, vinyl windows and even solar-powered heat. I couldn't believe it when I stepped in. From what I understand they are going to redo most of them. Recent trips to Pawtuckaway, Belknap and Green show no signs of renovations yet.

KDT

From what I understand they are going to redo most of them. Recent trips to Pawtuckaway, Belknap and Green show no signs of renovations yet.

My guess is that, due to it being moved to only high risk use, Green Mountain won't get renovated.

...the Uncanoonucs here in Goffstown. Don't bother with South...

Viewwise and naturewise, it is lacking. It is worthwhile if you're a ski history buff, however. There is a theory, quickly gaining traction, that the first lift serviced skiing in the United States was on South Uncanoonuc (via the incline railroad).

Interesting....I like some of these suggestions too. These will be good when I need a hike fix and don't want to travel for two hours.

Well some good suggestions, and more to come I presume. Hopefully will get Fri & Sat in, and currently favoring Mt Major and Blue Job from the drive distance and views potential. Anyone maybe wanna join Sue & I - pm me & I'll provide a cell number if it works out. And I got the AMC SoNH book late yesterday @ EMS - wishing the map went beyond Monadnock & Cardigan.

Thanks / Peter

Don't know if there are any maps, but there are lots of trails around Lake Massabesic down in Auburn. Same thing ponds nearby....Little Massabesic, or Tower Hill Pond. Lots of the trails double as bike trails too. Both Tower Hill pond, and Lake Massabesic are really pretty locations.

Actually, if you go to the Audubon Center in Auburn, you can have access to trails, and possibly a map. Its a nice walk, and I think you can make it several miles if you want.

This is what it looks like along the lake, along those trails near the Audubon center.

Typical trail

hope this helps.

grouseking

SE NH 3 days 3 Hikes

Well we're back- great time!

headed up Fri, did Major which was a winner. Up the right trail, down the left. Spectacular with light/no wind, but you can't get the panorama of Winnepesaukee in any one picture! Ellacoya Pub for refreshment

Sat did No. Pawtuckaway - a little hard to find the entrance as the park sign is taken down at Reservation Road. Great ridgeline - good foliage & out past the reflector dropping down into the woods, glacial erratics & beaver ponds - so awesome but we shoulda had a map - missed the cutoff & walked the dirt roud all the way out from Round Pond

Sunday - Blue Job was equally great. Peak foliage, crystal clear blue skies, the tower cabin locked ( should I be surprised ) - we needed help finding the lower ledges. Nice spot for a picnic lunch, and very easy trail out for the meek at heart. Home via the Smuttynose brewpub in Portsmouth

Thanks guys for your suggestions! Probably will spend more time in Pawtuckaway, I thought that was awesome for the 20min drive.

Peter

Glad you had a good time exploring some of the so. NH trails. The lower mountain on Blue Job isn't marked that well but has some great views. I've never seen the tower unlocked (but haven't been hiking there as long as others).

you can't get the panorama of Winnepesaukee in any one picture!

Sure you can

Sat did No. Pawtuckaway - a little hard to find the entrance as the park sign is taken down at Reservation Road.

I've been using that entrance for many years. I've never noticed a sign. You just have to know where it is. It helps keeps the tourists down on that side of the park.

Reservation Road

We love Pawtuckaway. Spend a lot of time there when we can't get up to the mountains. Glad you had a good hike there. North Mountain, Devil's Den and the Boulder Field are all awesome spots, and can all be hit in one hike.

South and Middle are nice, too.

There used to be a sign that said "Fire Tower" at the intersection of Reservation Road and Rte 107. That is how I first found that way into the park when my kids were young, 25 years ago or more. It has been gone for many years now, though the signpost is still there.

If anyone would like to hike there over the next two months, before calendar winter gets here, I would be glad to show you around or provide whatever info you might want about the park. PM me.

KDT

To follow up on the Lake Massabesic suggestion, here's a decent map of the lake and its trails: http://www.manchesternh.gov/website...ks/Lake Massabesic Depth Contour Map 2003.pdf I spent a lot of time there when I lived in Manchester and couldn't get anywhere else. It can be surprisingly wild in the off season. Once while relaxing on a rocky outcrop by the water's edge, a mink casually strolled along - up and over my shoes and on its way. If you park at Deer Neck, there are some good loop options on flat, easy trails (roads really).