Hiking the AT in CT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiker6288

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has section hiked this state and in how many days.I am looking at 3.5 days with 16 mile days for each.Weather should be tolerable(second week of October) and I am anticipating easy stretches so I could eat up the miles.....Any other input would be great

Thanks

Eric

I've section-hiked Connecticut... it took me a lot longer but I did a lot of dayhikes (wasn't into backpacking yet and was just getting into hiking.) For the most part, the terrain is very easy and you should be able to make very good time. (There is at least one person here who hiked all of CT in one day.)

Don't miss a night at Riga if you can fit it into your schedule ... it has a terrific sunrise, which you can view right from your sleeping bag.

If you have any questions about specific areas, feel free to send me a pm or ask away here.

Enjoy! :)
-Ivy

Reactions: yam
3.5 days is a pretty doable time span if you don't linger around too much and focus on hiking. Not that you should speed though it and ignore the sites mind you, CT has some pretty interesting features and views to take in.

There are some pretty monotonous ups and downs in CT that will eat some time.They are pretty spaced out, quite a few in the southern end, more in the northern end, and a few in the middle to keep you guessing. But then there are strolls along the Housatonic that you can really make some miles up quick.

You have a few weeks from when you want to start in Oct, so keep an eye on the water sources, I have been reading some reports that some springs and streams are running dry, so make sure you plan for it.

All said, the trail though CT is a very nice one, and with the autumn leaves, it should be a beautiful trip. Plan to bring a shelter, nice weather+leaves+cooler weather= lots of weekend warriors like myself out and about on the trail.

Enjoy, maybe I'll see you out there!
Kevin

I have heard the same regarding the streams running dry....I suppose I will have to watch the conditions as I live in CT...Looking at MT Algo,Pine Swamp and then Riga...I might have a one night buffer at the end of my trip as I could stretch 4 nights but I fell three is sufficient as I have hiked the majority of the northern section all ready and know what to expect...Any info on the parking down on the NY border?Should I leave the car or have someone pick it up.I have never had any issues in the Whites on extended trips but those have been out of major trailheads.

Thanks again for all the info...

there's a pump near the bridge at 10 Mile River that you still need to filter, but you shouldn't need water that soon. You cross a good stream on the Scaghticoke section, after the tribal lands.
Mt Algo lean-to is off the trail a couple hundred feet and is on a decent stream that I doubt has dried. Mt Algo Lean-to is only about 12 miles into the state, so that might be shy of your first days goals, I'd try to get past St Johns Ledges to Stewart Hollow Brook. Stewart Hollow Brook and Pine Swamp Brook Lean-tos are both near a river and a pond/swamp, so filter and boil. I'm not sure about the water at Limestone Spring lean-to (which is a ways off the trail, anyway). Between Riga and Brassie Brook lean-tos is the Brassie Brook designated camping area. There is a spring down hill from the trail and along the dried stream bed at this site which was fine this weekend. Fill up here and then you're done.

There is limited parking at Hoyt Rd, across from the trail, on the NY border. At the other end, there is better parking at the Undermountain Trail entrance on Rt 41. I'd leave my car at Undermountain and get a ride to Hoyt Rd.
At the end, over Bear you begin to decend into MA at Sages, double back off the AT into CT on Paradise Lane trail to Undermountain and down to your car.

There's at least 1 active bear on the trail in the Salisbury area, so keep your food supplies clean and separate. I have a bear canister, but good tree technique should be enough.

Pine Swamp Brook Lean-To is in the middle of a state forest where hunting is allowed, so wear some blaze orange. Actually, most of the AT in CT borders state and private land where hunting is allowed, so blaze orange on your head and pack is recommended.

Let me know when you're going. I'm there alot and might be able to help.

Last edited:
Well said...

Thanks for the good trail info and I hope to see you out there during the first week of October.....You cant miss me with my blue tecnica boots.If its raining you probably hear me moaning also as I should have done this hike this past weekend but due to family commitments(outlet shopping with the wife) I couldnt hit the trails. :(

I'll fill the gap...

Limestone Springs shelter is about .5 miles a good downhill from the trail. It follows a nice creek that makes some little waterfalls as it descends to the camp area. There should be plenty of water around the shelter from the stream. If you just needed water you can also just hike a little bit down the trail until you get to the falls.

Also don't forget the Spring Hill campsite. It's south of the rt4 crossingand it's the next campsite north after Stewart hollow brook. It's on the side of Spring Hill Mtn and is on a clearing- has a deck, picnic tables, a swing bench, and a water pump! It's a great spot for camping (although it gets crowded on the weekends due to proximity to the road) or just resting and getting more water.

I have left a car at the NY border for 4 days... but I agree that if I had a choice I'd just park at the safer lot at the foot of Bear.

And now some CT AT fun facts:
-The CT section has the only wheel chair accessible section in the whole AT (near Falls Village)
-The CT section also has the most miles that follow a river in the AT (from St John's to Spring Hill

Enjoy your hike :)

Last edited:
cbcbd said:
And now some CT AT fun facts:
-The CT section has the only wheel chair accessible section in the whole AT (near Falls Village)
-The CT section also has the most miles that follow a river in the AT (from St John's to Spring Hill

and
-CT has the dubious distinction of being one of only 2 states whose high peak is not also it's high point. :eek:

"Also don't forget the Spring Hill campsite. It's south of the rt4 crossingand it's the next campsite north after Stewart hollow brook. It's on the side of Spring Hill Mtn and is on a clearing- has a deck, picnic tables, a swing bench, and a water pump! It's a great spot for camping (although it gets crowded on the weekends due to proximity to the road) or just resting and getting more water."

I think the campsite is really called "Silver Hill" (a great spot)--it's about 3.2 miles North of Stewart Hollow Brook shelter.

Last edited:
Chip said:
Between Riga and Brassie Brook lean-tos is the Brassie Brook designated camping area. There is a spring down hill from the trail and along the dried stream bed at this site which was fine this weekend. Fill up here and then you're done.

This designated camping area is called Ball Brook, not Brassie (which used to be Bond :eek: ).

It is "Silver Hill" campsite, below rt 4, but it's probably not really convenient to a 3 1/2 trip.

South to north in 3 1/2 days, assuming your first day is the longest, I'd go;
- Hoyt Rd to Stewart Hollow Brook Lean-To (@ 18.5 miles)
- to Belter Campsite (@ 33.7 miles)
- to Riga Lean-To (@ 48.3 miles)
- to Undermountain parking via AT, Paradise Lane and Undermountain Trail for a total of about 55 miles.

silver hill well is sketchy sometimes you get water other times nothin' but rust!
ten mile lean-to has the best lightening bug/firefly display i've ever seen.
just sit in the lean-to wait for dark and watch. gotta be the right time of year though! :eek:

Heres what I was thinking

1st night Mt Algo Campsite with Stewart Hollow as a extended campsite dependent on my legs...

2nd night..Caesar Brook Campsite or Pine Swamp Brook dependent on the first nights campsite

3rd night.Limestone spring with Riga as the extended campsite.

Day 4...Out Paradise Lane to Undermountain parking.

I guess it boils down to my legs the first day...I know I can handle 15 miles but 19 might be stretching it the first night....See what time I roll into Mt Algo I suppose....

Thanks to everyone for their input..

limestone is down a big hill, i wouldn't go down there if i was you!!!! all those race cars goin' round the track sure are noisy!!!
all the best!! :D

post'r boy said:
silver hill well is sketchy sometimes you get water other times nothin' but rust!:
there was a sign along that section saying the pump was out, or under repair or something, now that you mention it.

ten mile lean-to has the best lightening bug/firefly display i've ever seen.
just sit in the lean-to wait for dark and watch. gotta be the right time of year though! :eek:
10 Mile Lean-to is my sons favorite spot in the winter. :D

f4d4380d.jpg

post'r boy said:
limestone is down a big hill, i wouldn't go down there if i was you!!!! all those race cars goin' round the track sure are noisy!!!

Indeed... when I passed through that area, I wondered who the heck was running the lawn mower in the woods. :)

Limestone is a long, downhill from the AT -- tough to go up the stretch in the morning. I remember hearing the coyotes howling there during the night, which was a treat. That said, I think Riga is a better spot if the weather is relatively clear.

post'r boy said:

I think it's "Limerock CT". There is a "Limestone Maine".

It's Limestone Spring Lean-To that's off the trail and down the hill.
Limerock is the town and racetrack you hike the ridge around south of that.
Belter and Sharon Mt campsites would be noisy, but Paul Newman will be there this weekend !

Trout said:
I think the campsite is really called "Silver Hill" (a great spot)--it's about 3.2 miles North of Stewart Hollow Brook shelter.
D'oh! You are correct :D

And Hiker...
From my experience it's always best to go easier on the first day and push more on the following days.

Belter Campsite July 4th Weekend

Funny story... this past July 4, was out for a few days, arrived at Belter on July 2... Cars zooming all day long at Limerock, I kept hearing them as I was hiking the AT heading southbound. Not all of the time, but at some of the overlooks and the like as the noise traveled around the valleys.

Arrived at Belters later afternoon, set up camp, tried to take a nap, all you hear was the whine of the cars... It was quiet for a bit, Whew they were done... About an hour later it starts up again! Ugh...

All through dinner, noise noise noise...Finally about 8pm they get quiet, Whew they are done... Within an hour blaring party music! CRAP! For a few hours just as I would drift off to sleep,I would awaken from the music and noise. At some point... BAM!!!! something exploded, Ah double CRAP! Fireworks! for at least a half an hour the explosions seemed that they were right outside the tent. You could not seem them, but you can hear them and in sometimes felt them.

Finally, FINALLY at midnight or so, Ahhhhh the sweet enjoyment of sleep is mine...

WRONG!!!! About a dozen kids from some program start walking through the site to set up camp. And of course what happens, 'Hey look a tent!' someone exclaims, and all dozen head lamps start swirling around the tent like a freakin' disco....

UGH!!!!

Sadly to say 6am came around much to quick.

Thought you may enjoy...
Kevin