Hiking with a baby

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowshoe

Reaction score
Before I know it July will be here and my wife will be having our first child. Here is my question: I was wondering if anyone out there can give me tips or info on hiking with babies. I plan on getting one of the Kelty kid packs, not sure wich one yet. What age is it ok to start. I have heard 5 months is fine. I want to be able to hike on a regular basis still and hopefully get my daughter into it as well. So any help would be great.

My inlaws and relatives all say I cant take a baby into the woods. But then again they are non outdoorsy people. What do they know. Any help is great thanks

Kelty also makes a snuggly (goes in the front) for about $70. Great for babies that cannot sit up or hold their own heads up. This is also useful walking around malls/stores with also (so much easier then a stroller)

A cool thing about the a snuggly is that you can put the baby in it and then put your coat on for extra warmth for the little one.

As for hiking, I found that it is very useful to have poles. Think of a 35lB pack that will shift its weight unexpected!

I have an LL Bean kids pack that is now on its 3rd kid. I have had no complaints with it. I have a sister and cousin that both have Kealty's and love them. Just make sure the pack has some storage.

I would suggest the first few times hitting the trails, go with someone and go on very familiar ones.

Good luck and congrads, brianW

ps after carrying a kid on your back for a few years, you will be amazed how much more energy you hike with when solo (or without child in tow)

Your pediatrician can tell you when it's safe to carry your new baby in a backpack--just don't tell her where you're going!!!!

My daughter climbed Bradbury Mountain, near Freeport, Maine, at the age of 1. Under her own leg power, for the most part. It's a little hill, but it's a fun place for very young kids so long as the parents watch them closely at the summit. She's been hiking ever since, and I've bored the people on VFTT often enough with her exploits not to repeat them here.

Remember, too, that a baby can't protect itself from insects by swatting, and I don't know whether DEET is such a good idea on a kid under the age of, well, whatever. (I use lots of it on myself, but my kids have always been worth more than me!) So you may want to consider a pack with bug netting, or saving your baby hiking for a time when the bugs are few and far between.

Winter baby hiking, anyone? :eek:

The one problem with those Kelty kid packs is that you'll need to plan shorter hikes or plenty of out of pack breaks. The kids seem to get saddle sore after a few miles and then they start to complain. :(

My theory is that by hiking with a baby you cause an enjoyment of the outdoors to be imprinted and it practically guarantees you a hiking buddy for life.

I used one of those Kelty packs for my grandkids, and a mirror was very helpful to look back and see how they were doing.

I found that, when my kids were young, other hikers didn't mind me hiking with them as long as they were leashed:)

Actually, I can't think of a better gift parents can give their child (aside from good parenting, of course), than to give them an appreciation for the great outdoors.

You and your wife are entering the most wonderful time of your life. Savor it, because it passes all too quickly.

Best of luck.

Snowshoe, the first thing you need is for the baby to be able to hold it's head up on it's own, without this you risk injury. The next thing is to get a proper pack where the baby is below your height, remember you my clear the branch but the child gets hit in the face. I can tell you I was hiking and cross country skiing with my son prior to his first birthday and he still loves it at 15 years old. As suggested, keep your hikes short and remember to use sun screen and a small dose of bug spray.

There was a really good thread on this topic on alpinezone.com over the summer. Greg B. and a few others had quite an interesting conversation about hiking with their young 'uns. Wish I could say I'd joined the crowd but I think I'm still a little too overprotective to take our now 18-month old hiking. Good luck.

If you pack it in, pack it out. Including all those dirty diapers. Have fun.

Good point Mad Townie - infants have hardly any defense against bugs and mosquitos. Keep the deet away from the kids too.

Memories . . .

Our daughter, Prima Donna Grumpy hiked with Mrs. (Pretty) Grumpy and me from a very early age, first in a Gerry backpack carrier and as soon as possible on her own two feet. We got the idea this was doable well before PDG came along, mainly from a night at Lost Pond in the mountains above Keene, New York, during which we shared the leanto with a couple who had a small infant (literal babe-in-arms) with them and were entirely comfortable and at ease.

PDG’s first on-her-own-feet overnight hike was across essentially flat ground and covered about 6-8 miles in two days. She was only about 27 months old at the time. (I always find that a little hard to believe, and invariably check out the route and mileage and date to make sure I’m not fibbing when relating that little story. Be assured it IS authentic.) We set no speed records.

Prima Donna is mostly all grown up now, nearly 28 and about to be married. She changed my usual grumpiness to a mood of high delight one day last fall by dragging her fiance along on his first Adirondack High Peaks walk, up Big Slide via The Brothers, then over Yard and down to Johns Brook lodge via the Klondike Notch trail, and back out to The Garden via the Phelps trail. He passed the test. I smiled. So perhaps I am not losing PDG but gaining a son. We’ll see.

Anyway, hiking with your kids is the thing to do. Just let common sense be your guide and have a ball!

G.

PS: We never used a leash on PDG, who always stayed at heel pretty reliably and was reticent enough to stay out of other folks' space and business. But I've seen more than a few young terrors who belonged on leashes. :p

The earliest I had my kids out was when my daughter was 3 months old -- we climbed Cascade and Porter. We had a Kelty kids backpack at the time and rigged a higher collar for head support which also became somewhat of a pillow. Seems like the walking motion is quite conducive to sleeping for the little ones.

We always used cloth diapers for overnight outings and disposables for day hikes.

As you start taking longer hikes and the kid stays awake longer, try to get in the habit of wearing a hat, or something to protect your head/hair. It must have been pretty amusing for my daughter to put half eaten cheerios into my hair and mush it around...

Kids can be a joy to hike with as long as you keep a good attitude -- if you get unhappy and miserable your kids will mirror your attitude.

Remember sunscreen for the kid as well.

Poles

I used to take my son on my back all the time. He's 20 now, so I think those days are over.

I second BrianW's comments about poles. A 30 pound kid is SOOO different than a 30 pound pack. The packs don't suddenly decide to lurch to one side. It is really easy to stumble when they do that, and poles help prevent tragedy.

Start doing those back exercises now!

-MonadnockVol

We always found we couldn't cover much ground and the amount of ground is very unpredictable, so planning is tough. We did, and do like canoe camping with the wood canvas. You can cover miles and the kids are lulled to sleep with the gentle motion of the waves.

My son is getting bigger now. I suspect overnighters and longer hikes are in the near future.

As mentioned above, savor it, 'cause it goes by so quickly.

Cheers

Hiking with a baby? Definitely!

We hiked and canoed with all four of our kids. They mostly slept in the backpack and front carrier. But, when awake, they really do wriggle around. Canoeing was a little more difficult as the life preserver was bulky and they squirmed in it. But, once we got going, it was back to sleep for them.

Sun and bug protection are really important. We didn't use chemicals on them, just protective clothing and mosquito netting.

Nursing infants are the easiest to feed on the trail. This also forces you to take long rest stops. Bring lots of food and drink for the parents, don't try to set any speed or distance records, and just enjoy!

Glad you asked the question--it brings back lots of happy memories. I hope to do Basin and Saddleback with two of my "kids" this summer. They are now in their 20's and are happy to carry a little extra weight for their mom.

Pat T

There is a wonderful book out "Scraping Heaven" by Cindy Ross. She and her husband regarded hiking as a "life force" and wanted to share it with their children. They hiked the 3100 mi Continental Divide Trail over 5 summers with their very young children. When they started in "93" the kids were age 1 and 3. They finished in "98". It was a great read, inspiring as well as entertaining.
This is a direct quote from the cover:
"Their journey compounded the ordinary challenge of marriage, parenting and family life with snowy traverses, winds strong enough to lift a child, fatigue, ornery animals. steep mountain crossings, and the countless other trials of a
harsh but stunningly beautiful environment. But it taught their children more about self-reliance, trust, interdependence, and self-determination than anything else could have done."
If you want to hike with a child, I think you might really enjoy this book.
Maddy
:cool:

Thanks for the info and all the tips. I will be looking forward to having a hiking buddy. If anyone has anymore info please feel free to post. You can never have too much info. Thanks again

With toddlers

I did not hike with my kids until my son was 3 and daughter was 5.
I would not rush into it, the first thing you need to do, I assume this is your first, is get use to being a daddy and learn all the things you need to do for your newborn.
It is the most demanding job you will ever have.
As everone has said I would think 6 months would be the earliest.
I know this might not be the answer you were going for but take it slow once you do start
Feedings and changings will be every 2-4 hours so again don't rush it.
I hope your wife goes with you just to assist.
My wife does not go camping or hiking so I go wtih my two by myself. It is quit a handful, but the fondest memories I have is hiking and camping with my family from the age of 3. My earliest memory was from the age of 4.
I hope my children will feel the same way now and thirty years from now.
Congratulations and best of luck.
Al

I have a 7 month old daughter and she began hiking at 6 months. We waited until she could hold her head very steady before heading out onto the rocky trails of PA. I have the Kelty Ridgeline and like it although it will be hard to carry extra gear for an overnight - my wife will have to do that. It took a few hikes to find just the right fit for the pack but it's riding well now. The only other advice I would give you is to start with short hikes and put a few more layers on her than you're wearing. Also, I lubed her exposed skin up well for our winter hikes to avoid chapping her soft skin.

Have fun!