Hillsound Trail Crampon Failure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine also broke last year. The chain pulled through the rubber connector. They were about 13 months old, in other words just over the warranty period. The store sent a photo of the break to Hillsound and they approved the replacement. I had the new pair within a week. :) The new pair does seem to fit better than the old pair, I don't have to pull so hard to get them on. They were both for size 13.

I expect the new pair you received were XXLs. The prior sizing had the LX cover size 13 and with my new boots, they were tight to put on and the heel plate was set forward of the heel whihc indicates that were too small. The KL now stop at size 12 and the XXl's are rated for 13 to 15.

I'd be amazed if either WD40 or vegetable oil works. I've tried both in snowblowers in the past - absolutely no effect that I could tell.
It may depend on the exact snow conditions.

I have certainly used ski glide wax (or just paraffin wax) snow shovels to reduce the snow sticking. (Wax is essentially a frozen oil. Wax may also stay on longer than a liquid.)

Never tried waxing crampons, but it might help and is very unlikely to hurt.

Doug

The more and more I hear about problems with Microspikes and Hillsounds, the more I enjoy living in the dark ages with my Stabiliciers :D (I haven't lost any screws yet on any pair...)

I never thought of sending my microspikes back to Katahoola when the chain broke out of
the eyelet, I just put it back in and crazy glued it shut - still holding a year later :)

The trail crampon pro has anti-snow ball pads - hopefully Hillsound will take the cue from consumers and put them in the trail crampon as well.

And I thought it was just me. :eek: Yeah, I have twice recently walked out of my Microspikes, when the chains got snagged on roots. My hiking partner looked at me quite quizzically, having never seen this happen before.

Marty

I have also walked out of my microspikes. It was the first day I got them back in 2008, when a ton of people didn't have them yet. It was a snowballing type day and I didn't even notice it was gone. At the time I thought wow I guess I know why no one has these things, well I'm not going back for that piece of junk.... When I came back down, I found the lost microspike hanging on a tree and put it my pack. The next time I used them, I needed some sort of traction, I think when I was digging my car out of a snowbank or something, and they justr happened to be sitting in the trunk because I decided to return them to EMS, but hadn't gotten the chance yet. Out of desperation, I grabbed them and put them on, this time I decided they were great and have loved them ever since. I have bought them for everyone I know as Christmas presents, because I think they are the greatest things for any situation, climbing a 4ker in the winter or bringing in wood from the woodshed.

An update, two weeks since they said they would send me a replacement set. Nothing so far. :(

I guess they assume that hikers dont have a use for them on weekly basis?

An update, two weeks since they said they would send me a replacement set. Nothing so far. :(

I guess they assume that hikers dont have a use for them on weekly basis?

When mine broke, I had purchased them from Ragged Mountain. I took them back there and they handled it for me. They took a picture of the break I believe and sent it to Hillsound. Hillsound sent back their permission for the replacement almost immediately and I had the replacements off the shelf of Ragged Mountain within five days--thanks both to the good will of Hillsound and Ragged Mountain.

When mine broke, I had purchased them from Ragged Mountain. I took them back there and they handled it for me. They took a picture of the break I believe and sent it to Hillsound. Hillsound sent back their permission for the replacement almost immediately and I had the replacements off the shelf of Ragged Mountain within five days--thanks both to the good will of Hillsound and Ragged Mountain.

Ed - had you kept your receipt? Box?

Unfortunately these were ordered on line as Ragged was out of that size and they werent sorcked at a lot of places when I bought them. The thing that gets me as annoyed is that they said they would "send me a pair right out"

In fact I had lost the receipt, but I had paid by credit card. I did, of course, have the credit card monthly statements. I looked up the exact date and with my credit card number they retraced the transaction. :D

The reason I asked is that I have found them to be, ah, how to put it....without wiggle room. (Wiggle is part of my new favorite phrase: Let's get a wiggle on it. We're burning daylight.)

But I still do stop in and shop there. They have a good selection of gear and items you can't easily get elsewhere.

It took awhile (3 weeks) but I did receive replacements via Fed Ex today. I look forward to trying the new XXLs. I expect they might last a bit longer but will avoid the temptation to try them out on a 20 miler right away. ;)

Last edited:
I used the new larger size, XXL, pair on a short hike yesterday. The XXL fit my boots a lot better If someone has size 12 or 13 they may want to consider donating the old size XL for the new size XXL.