Hope for lovers of Sherpa snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
For a few years I had been very happy with a pair of 25 inch Sherpas with the Bill Prater step-in binding. When, owing to decreased fitness, I switched from plastic boots to Sorels for most of my hiking, I did not have ideal snowshoes.

Long ago, before I knew better, I had bought a pair of 30 inch Sherpas with the Alpine Binding ("potato peeler"), which is fine on flat trails but does not offer really good traction on steep packed snow. By then Sherpa had started making the same kind of snowshoes as their competitors and hence eventually went out of business.

I bough a pair of Tubbs Mountain Snowshoes with the Viper binding. The claw was great, but the binding, with its garbage plastic rachet, periodically would come loose. To my mind that is simply not acceptable.

Many of my friends had, over the years, taken their snowshoes to Burt at Moor and Mountain (in Andover, MA) for tuning, so I called him asking whether he could replace the Alpine Binding on my Sherpas with a Tucker binding. Alas, he was out of them :(

Someone (maybe Burt, I do not recall) suggested that I call The Mountaineer in Keene Valley, NY to see whether they had any in stock. They did not, but someone there had been examining the options and told me he had found a web site for IRL Supplies which offerred what seemed like an excellent imitation.

I checked their site and found that they offer the Arctic Trekker Snowshoes. They offer both complete snowshoes and the claws.

I ordered two pairs of Ice Claws (their equivalent of the Tucker Claw) and have recently received them. One pair was mounted (by Burt of Moor and Mountain) on my 30 inch Sherpas, the other on my 25 inch Tubbs (Ed Hawkins had told me that the claws have exactly the same dimensions and so can be interchanged).

Just looking at the claws showed that they were extremely well engineered. As a long time Sherpa lover I find it hard to admit, but they are emphatically better than the original. The claws are stainless steel, not aluminum. The hooks have been replaced by stainless steel D-rings, with the lacing already threaded through them. The lacing is twice as wide as the original.

Yesterday I gave the Sherpified Tubbs their first real workout, using them on the Hancock Loop Trail. All my companions wore crampons, I climbed the extremely steep north branch of the loop with my snowshoes. Being wider than crampons I had a few minor problems in tight spots, and it is impossible to use French technique on the steepest pitches, but apart from that my snowshoes performed as well as crampons.

Like Sherpas, they are quality products selling at a corresponding price. But for those who want real quality and are willing to pay for it they are emphatically worth a look.

Great idea and research!

One question, do the replacement bindings take care of some of the Sherpa's biggest problems? Tha is the nylon lacing on Sherpas loosens up during the day and you kick and move your boots in them, and then the lacing and neoprene of the Sherpa bindings is cold and hard to tighten again.

Wow..this is kool. Just in time. I have an old pair that is on it's last legs. Might have to think about replacing them. Thanx..great links!

Peakbagr said:
One question, do the replacement bindings take care of some of the Sherpa's biggest problems? That is the nylon lacing on Sherpas loosens up during the day and you kick and move your boots in them, and then the lacing and neoprene of the Sherpa bindings is cold and hard to tighten again.
The lacing seems much more user-friendly than the original, and the whole binding seems to fit much better over the front of the boot.

The other problem with Sherpas is that the heel strap can fall off. Years ago (while taking the NH Chapter's Winter Hiking Program) I learned to keep the strap up with something laced around my ankle (very difficult to describe, uses duct tape :) ). Burt at Moor and Mountain made me a more sophisticated system.

Moor and Mountain does not stock the bindings, as they feel that there are not enough people willing to pay real money for real quality. I wonder whether The Mountaineer (who pointed me to IRL in the first place) are stocking the bindings?

Reactions: dms
weight

Mohamed,

No mention of weight on their website. changing to stnl stl raises concern about weight. Could you weigh your sherpas with the nem binding?
Also, I'll need to know if you have the 30" sherpa vintage with or without the heel claw? Then I can figure thing out. Thanks,

JOhn

Mo,

Back when my Sherpas were my main shoe, I solved the heel strap problem.
I had a 2.5" square piece of neoprene. Cut 2 parallel slits and ran a nylon strap thru them and then the strap around my boot.
Cut a 2nd set of slits below the first, and ran the Sherpa heel binding thru those. The first strap around my ankle held up the heel strap. If the Main Sherpa nylon straps didn't start collapsing dur the day, it would have solved the problem with them falling off completely.

Is it a simple switch to substitute the new bindings for the old Sherpas?
Do you recall how much the bindings cost per set? I only need the front sets.

Thanks

Peakbagr said:
I had a 2.5" square piece of neoprene. Cut 2 parallel slits and ran a nylon strap thru them and then the strap around my boot.
Cut a 2nd set of slits below the first, and ran the Sherpa heel binding thru those. The first strap around my ankle held up the heel strap.
That is exactly what I did, except that instead of the neoprene I folded some duct tape a few times.
Peakbagr said:
Is it a simple switch to substitute the new bindings for the old Sherpas?
No idea, I am a mechanical cripple, took them to Burt who did the work for me.
Peakbagr said:
Do you recall how much the bindings cost per set?
Can. Dollars 139 per set, plus postage of $26.32 (also Canadian) for the two sets.

Arctic Trekker Snowshoes

Hey Mohamed,

thanks for taking the time to write a post about our snowshoe bindings. The Arctic Trekker snowshoes are something IRL Supplies is very proud of, as we were previous with Sherpa. We make these shoes in-house and put in a lot of time and effort. If anyone out there has further questions on replacing/repairing their Sherpa's please let me know. Cheers!

Matt
[email protected]
www.irlsupplies.com

Just a note of caution. I've been told that the entire Arctic Trekker snowshoe weighs about 20% more than the comparable Sherpa. This is because the shoe is designed for the forestry/logging professionals. Apparently the aluminum frame and the decking are thicker, and the binding is heavy duty. IRL will replace the decking, lacing, and pivot rod on existing Sherpa frames - but that will cost as much as a new pair.
If you decide to call IRL (800-663-6843),ask for Dave Hughes, he'll answer all your questions, and he's not in a rush.

I have a set of newer Sherpa Climbers, other than the said bindings that come loose after a bit, the rivets on the bindings are on the outside of the al. frame, which means they hit everything that you happen to pound into. Perhaps not a problem in the ADKs or so where there is more guaranteed to be decent snow, in the catskills or points even south of that, it isn't guaranteed and my Climbers show it.

Two rivets are completely sheered off, replaced with a screw that I can replace when they bite the dust. I've had lacings break and clips broken. In fact, I broke another clip this weekend on Seymour in the ADKs. Not crippled, simply tie off the lacing for now...

I can't see this pair lasting another season, with or without a different binding...

Jay

My Sherpas have about 25 years of service. I have the original steel claw crampons. Never, ever, needed to use regular strap on crampons instead these things. But as has been said earlier in this thread, the bindings and straps are the weak element of the Sherpa shoe. IRL Supplies, www.irl.bc.ca/, was very helpful and quick to respond that I can order Artic Trekker bindings to replace my Sherpa bindings, a vast upgrade in quality and dependability. Great info Mohamed, many thanks!

Excellent thread

Mo - I also have the 30" sherpa model with the "alpine binding" (circa 1982?). The shoes are still in excellent condition but the aluminum "cookie cutter" claws are trashed. We were just discussing this last weekend at the "Winter Workshop". Now I have hope of resurrecting them! Thanks, you're the man!! :)

Wow, this thread is just in time! The grommets on one of my Sherpa bindings finally pulled through the foot harness and I need a new binding. I haven't seen them in many places - the last place I saw them was Ben Meadow's a few years ago.

So does this mean there is no such thing as a real Sherpa binding anymore, anywhere? If so, how does the IRL binding compare to the original Sherpa - is it better, or heavier? And can you buy just the binding harness without the claw, or get it replaced using the original claw? That might end up being just as expensive, I guess.

I am buying just the harness, I think the teeth of the Sherpa claw crampon are bigger than those of the Artic Trekker, and you can transfer the Sherpa claw to the Trekker harness. I think the harness is about $70. You then get the best of both worlds, the Sherpa claw with a much better harness system!

there are Sherpa's on ebay all the time

You can often get sherpas on ebay for pretty low prices. Most have the alpine bindings, but sometimes one will show up with the more agressive teeth. I got a pair with no deck lacings just to scavenge to replace my beat up alpine binding.

As winter approaches, I thought I would bring this thread back up. Great snowshoes (or bindings, if you already have a suitable snowshoe with an unsuitable binding) for those who want quality and are willing to pay for it.

I've owned 3 pairs of Sherpas in the past. I got the T91 Tubbs bindings and put their Viper Crampons on them then onto the Sherpas. Much better than the Sherpa binding's.
I found the laceing worked loose on me as I am a big guy. I offed them on Ebay. So I went back to the Tubbs Pinnacle's with Vipers and the new light weight frames. They weighed in at 2 1/8 pounds. Lighter than the Sherpas. I weighed both brands on same scale.
The Pinnacles have given perfect performance with no problems.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Many of my friends had, over the years, taken their snowshoes to Burt at Moor and Mountain (in Andover, MA) for tuning, so I called him asking whether he could replace the Alpine Binding on my Sherpas with a Tucker binding. Alas, he was out of them :(
I was just there yesterday ! What a great shop ! I saw he had a pair of Sherpas propped up on the back wall and we got to talking. They also had a pile of Crescent Moons (which I own and love, but apparently few others around here do), he said he'd tell the owner of Crescent Moon that I was enjoying mine. I ended up getting sized for a climbing harness and buying a Precip, great shop, great people.

The best snowshoes that I have

ever used or seen were the sherpa snowshoes with the tucker bindings.

Just my 2cents