Hough Peak and my ADK Winter 46 Finish - 3/8/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TelemarkMike

Reaction score
BillB and I set out to tackle Hough Peak via the Lillian Brook herd path today. This would complete my W46 and set him up for a finish tomorrow on Giant/Rocky Peak.

The weather forecast called for mostly cloudy skies, but we were rewarded with bluebird skies by 10 AM, mild temps and light winds. We were also fortunate that the Lillian Brook HP was broken out and we merely had to stomp it down a little.

We started at Clear Pond at 8 and were on the herd path by 9:40. We got coated with some snow from the low limbs on the herd path, but it was a small price to pay. By 11:15 we were in the Hough/Pough col and it was just a beautiful day. We were in no hurry, and were just out enjoying the warm sunshine. The weekend should be great.

A half an hour later, we reached the summit. I forgot a celebratory beer, but I'll claim one or two after this post. Bill brought some of his homemade cookies and we had them. Thanks Bill.

There was some moderate wind on the summit, so after 15 minutes or so we headed back down.

I've had a couple equipment failures in the last 2 hikes. As I was packing last night, I noticed my left MSR Evo Ascent snowshoe had a broken metal plate on the binding. Today, I used my old MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes, and when I was carrying them while walking out on Elk Lake Road, I noticed the left one of this pair now had a broken metal plate also. I'll have to give MSR a call and see what they will do.

In any case, I had a great day and a highly enjoyable finish. Thanks BillB for the company, and good luck tomorrow!

See my full report and pics at:
http://www.offonadventure.com/2013/03/hough-peak-my-adk-winter-46er-finish.html

Congrats. Very impressive! Hough was my last 46er in summer...I can only imagine what this took for winter...

I think hiking in the winter is easier when the conditions are good. Such was the case on Friday. We were on a packed trail and the temperature was mild with light winds. It doesn't get any better.