How Do You Keep In Shape For Hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do to keep in shape for hiking?

• Just By Doing It!

Votes: 55 55.0%
  • Strength Training (weights, machines etc.)

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Cardio Training (running, Spinning, biking)

Votes: 61 61.0%
  • 12 Ounce Curls!

Votes: 13 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I love to run, I am very fortunate to have a large park of several hundred acres, complete with a beautiful lake, with all kinds of trails, less than 5 minutes from where I work.

during the summer, I like to hike hills and do some trail running.
during winter, I have a stairmaster and I'll put 40lbs in a backpack. It's a great workout and seems to similate hiking up a mountain. IF we get snow in Pa this winter, I hope to do a lot of x-country skiing.

hike Wachusett

I like to hike Mt. Wachusett year round, that way the 2 or 3 times I go to the whites or BSP I can enjoy my hikes instead of suffering through them.

grog

Poor Man's Stair master

I run up and down my basement stairs for anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes. IMO it works better than the stair master because you get both the up and down motions.

At my age I fall out of shape fairly quickly, and, since I only get up to the Whites once a month, I hit the Y several times a week:

Cardio - (treadmill, elliptical, bike) 3 or 4 times for 40 minutes

Strength - 2 times

I go to the gym and do lots of things like the elliptical machine, stair walker (the one that you actually walk up stairs), bike and I swim and I also run outside. Try to work out for 60-90 minutes a day but I'm hoping to push 90-120 minutes/day soon. I try to go every day of the week. Oh, and yeah, the 12oz curl is a favorite of mine too... :)

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
not enough

:mad: I hate my answer, but most of the time it is just by doing it...I know that excercing by hiking 3-6 days a month is a prety poor fitnessregimen. I do lift some weights (low weight, high reps) and I do walk a bit. I also find that ab crunches do wonders for keeping my posture in good form when I am tired. It is dsicouraging that I still weigh more than I should and that I find it very difficult ot find the time to excercise on my long work days. I love the idea of getting back into running as I know it would be the best way to improve my cardio...I agree with Waumbek...it is the ascents, not the distance that bothers me the most - lots of huffing and puffing. When I am hiking enough I find that I do very well on the descents.
Did I mention beer? :D

Last edited:
There are 8 floors where I work so on my break and lunch that's where you will find me. I've thought about painting mountain scenes on the walls.
I stay busy doing other thinks, like hiking, X-C skiing, kayaking and walking every day. I hate gyms so I try to find the same things other places like the stairs.

I stay in shape by going to the gym 3 to 4 times a week--uphill work out on the treadmill for an hour. Strenght training I do more in the winter as this time of year I spend a lot of time working in the yard and garden. Digging up sod is quite the workout :) Oh, and I do lots of crunches every day, well almost every day!

-MEB

I had to vote for all 4. There's nothing like a hike to get you in shape for, um.., hiking. At the beginning of my hiking season I'll start with some short hikes (4 to 6 miles), then move up to moderate hikes (6 to 8 miles) and finally I'll be ready for the big hikes (8+ miles) or backpacking trips.

I'm also at the gym 4 times a week for moderate to heavy weight training. Been doing it for 15 years and it's just a part of me now.

During non-winter months I'll be out running a 5 mile route a couple times a week through the state park near my house. Running just isn't my thing but it's nice to get out into the trees after working in the city all day.

My biceps are getting huge from all the 12oz curls I do. Although, maybe I shouldn't admit that. :eek:

In early spring I usually do my stair stepper tues and thurs. I cut it down when I am in good enough shape and rely on climbing to remain in shape. I did 7000 feet this weekend and my legs are still a little stiff, so I figure I don't need any trainin :rolleyes: g this week.

Neil said:
For me, running is the King of Cardio. I hate going to the gym, just can't stand it. Allthough the pounding of running can be tough on the knees I find it stresses/stimulates the quads, calves and butt muscles in a way that can't be beat especially running on a hilly course.

If I'm not mistaken, you are a Chiropractor, correct? Is this similar to the lung sugeon who smokes? :D

I keep in shape for hiking by hiking. For several years, I was more interested in rock climbing but it took way too much time to stay in shape to be able to do the climbs I found interesting. Plus I was sick of all the driving back and forth to climbing areas, and waiting at the base of climbs for other parties to get out of the way.

I found that I could keep in good enough shape for hiking just by going out for a long dayhike every couple of weeks. It helps that the LT/AT goes through town and Mt. Greylock (2300 ft. elevation rise) is only about a 1/2 hour drive away.

What do I do?

Hiking IS what i do to keep in shape - for just living each day!
If I am not hiking I also like to mountain or road bike, rollerblade, swim, snowshoe, wk out at the gym, go for walks, lay around, watch movies, read. lay around some more w/ all my critters...
I have just found that in order to fight health problems you need to be in as good a shape as you can be or they just take over your life. as well as getting older and all the crap aches and pains that come w/ that.

I'm a cyclist turning into a hiker

I ride anywhere from 5-7,000 miles a year. So cycling has been my general form of staying in shape for the past 17 years.
I'm more of a cyclist turning to hiking to get away from the New England race scene for awhile.
I find that I may not be the fastest hiker in the world, but I can litterally go out for hours and hours at a time.
I'm interested in getting into some sort of core strength training in the winter though. Something like pilates or circuit training.

Ironic Biking

Can't stand/afford the gym so I jump on my wife's recumbent exercise bike when she's out and pedal like mad for 30 mins/day while (ironically) reading "Backpacker" magazine. It's really helped my knees from screaming their protests on the trail. I'd do morning push-ups but it's hard to hold the coffee and smoke a ciggie while doing them :)

Hmmmm. I do NOTHING to stay in shape. I have no real goal or desire to be in shape.

THat said, I do things I ENJOY. These things happen to help me stay in shape. Lets see... last week, after a 110 mile bike ride, a cigerette tasted SO good. To some, that may seem like a conflict, but to me, they were two things I just happen to enjoy.

If, at a time, I'm not in good shape, I'll hike for, say 8 hours, but I won't go as far as an 8 hour hike when I am in shape.

I HATE doing exersize for its own sake.

Stairs... and lot of 'em. There's a local State Park that has a flight of 175 stone stairs that ascends approx 120'. I'm up to 21 sets (total of 3675 stairs, 2520')... goal is 30 sets. Takes me about 1:20. It can be REALLY boring, but it also helps clear my mind. Very zen by the 15th set.

I just got into mountain biking and trail running, so that may help alleviate the monotony.

Placidnay

We used to be long distance runners and can blame all sorts of things on not getting out after work and working out. It's 50/50 whether we go for a hike at Green Lakes or hit Clark's Ale House downtown instead! :p