How far do you drive?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catskillclimber

Reaction score
How far do you drive to hike? I find that with the rising gas prices I have been getting out to hike less and less because I have to drive so far to reach nice peaks. Just curious.
cc

From Montreal it takes me 2 1/2 hours to get to most of the ADK TH's. It takes take me 3 1/2 hours to Lowe's store.
The Central ADK's are another story, like 4 1/2 hours to the Pilssbury mtn. TH

I decreased my speed from 75 mph to 70 (120 kph to 110) and removed my thule rack and now get surprisingly better mileage. I'm leaving the bike at home though.

I will be looking for hiking partners from Mtl. when I do the HH situated in the central 'Dacks.

2 hours to central adk's and 3-4 to northern adk's.
2-3 hours to catskills.
Gas prices are going to have to get really high to stop me from hiking. though I dont drive as much in the winter. If prices are out of site next year I plan on camping more so i can do multiple hikes in a weekend.

It takes me around 2:30 to drive to the trailhead if I'm heading towards Rt 3 or 302 via 93. Three hours plus if I'm going up 95 to the Presis. Gas prices have just reached the point where it can cost me $50 to make that trip in my truck. Heading north to hike is no longer a no-brainer.

Bob

Depends - if I want to hike big, then it's usually the Whites at 2.5-4 hours, or VT within 1.5-3 hours.

Today, though, it's 6-7 hours... to Millinocket ME to spend the night before starting the 100 mile wilderness!

3 to 4 hours to whites - I find myself taking the family car - now more and more - the honda civic - rather than the pick up truck - tacoma 4 cylinder -
usually takes me a little more than a tank to get there and back - 30-35 bucks to fill the tacoma now and about 20-25 to fill the civic.

I can only cringe when SUV's pull up to the gas pump and it reads 50-60 bucks to fill. sucks to be them

White Mountains: 1.5-2 hours
Acadia NP: 3 hours
Baxter SP: 4 hours

These gas prices suck! I'm glad I get 40 mpg/hwy, but still, my wallet is definitely feeling lighter these days.

Last edited:
2 1/2 hours to Franconia Notch, 3 1/2 to Pinkham.

At 36 mpg that's about a 12 gallon tankful for my Scion, so I normally go up for a weekend and get in two days of hiking. Of course, that means I spend another $20 on a bunk for the night.

11 hours to Franconia, 14 to Baxter. Needless to say my trips need a little preplanning.

1,780 miles to round trip Millinocket at 19mpg = 93.6 gallons x $2.43 a gallon...wow

Hopefully the new federal energy bill will help! (that was a joke)

About 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Gas in my neigborhood hit $2.73 a gallon! Couple of online articles said gas would be $3.00 a gallon shortly - no end in sight. At least the cost can be spread out amongst a few of us.

...Joe

1 1/2 to the Catskills and 3 1/2-4 to the ADK high peaks. With the gas prices I've been recruiting new hikers as often as possible. I figure the more people I get hooked the more people to carpool with.

At 150-200 miles and 2 1/2 - 4 hours to the Whites, I never thought I'd see the day when it's cheaper for me to stay over than to make a couple different trips up. And that's in my a Honda Civic. If I take the V8 truck I can stay first class. Next year it's a seasonal site for the camper and weeks at a time. It makes me wonder more and more why I don't move up to the White. Hmmmmm

Just got back. I live on Long Island, and take either the Port Jeff-Bridgeport or Orient Pt.-New London ferry. I don't start counting 'til Connecticut. Destination is always the White Mts. From Bridgeport: if I'm driving, 5 1/2 hours. If my wife's driving, 5 hours. From New London: me, 5 hours, her 4 1/2.

I do this at least once a month. I don't care how high gas goes, I'll keep on doing it. Other things will be sacrificed.

Steve

Last edited:
2 hours to Lincoln
3-1/2 hours to Pinkham
6 hours to Baxter
6 hours to the ADK's

Thank goodness I dumped the Jeep (14mpg) for the Outback (25mpg) a few years ago. It's not a Prius, but I could never fit all gear in one of those, anyway. :)

To paraphrase Post'r Boy, anybody wanna go carpoolin' ?

I haven't reduced hiking, just how often I trek to the Whites :mad: . I was always of fan of carpooling to the Whites and the hiking locales, it is easier, safer, and spreads the cost.

from nashua traveling to:

Beaver Brook Conservation area- 5 minutes
Miller State Park- Pack Monadnock- 30 minutes
Monadnock SP- Mount Monadnock- 45-50 minutes
almost 2 hours to Franconia Notch or Lincoln Woods(210 rt miles give or take)
2.5 to Crawford
3+ to Pinkham
Grafton Notch SP- 3 1/2 (372 miles rt)
Maine Rangelly region 5 hours to 5.5 (470 miles rt)

Get 37 plus mpg with my Saturn on the interstates, 32 city which does help.

I already sytarted doing more local hikes in the Monadnocks and So. NH, such as Pawtuckaway SP,......That Midstate Trail may probably see my boots sooner than I planned!

CARPOOL anyone? Let me know! :) :D

2 to 3 hrs, although I do the franconias alot to limit the driving time, Ive done all the Whites 4 times or more ( many more in the Presis) so it doesnt matter much to me. Plan to drive to CO in sept for Longs, Evans, and Mt of the Holy Cross, was going to fly but I like having my own truck, all my gear and not worrieing about airlines losing anything.
I love long drives and can do it in 2 days, so its not to bad, plus I sleep in my truck and since Im a flatlander in NH again, I need to sleep at the trailheads to help in my aclimization again.

how far do you drive

I agree with steve- I live on long island- a prison sentence in and of itself- and I ( and my husband) don't think twice about the 5-6 hr drive to the ADK. I'll go up one safternoon, stay overnight, and do whatever I want the folowing day- usually get an early start(5:30-6:00am). Then I drive back home that night, to go to work the next day. Although weekends seem good, theyre is so much traffic on Sunday night goingback to the city, that's it's worht it for me to take a Tues-Wed off from work on a regular basis. I've done that the past three weeks ( met Mountaingoat 2 weeks ago, in a thunderstorm (plus hail!) on Skylight and Marcy- the only two idiots out in that weather.
But yeah, I'll drive inordinate distances, and often. If gas goes through the roof, other things will go first- this is worht it.