How far do you drive?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 hours to the Rt 302/Rt 16 junction
2 hours to Lincoln
3 hours to Bethel

Last year I got in 25 days of skiing, about 15 of those were day trips. As goes up in price it makes spending weekends away from home look more affordable! :)

Last weekend I turned a normal 4 1/2 -5 hour drive to Appalachia into slightly more than 3 1/2 hour drive home!
Yikes! :eek:
This weekend is Baxter and I have no idea........6.....7....8 hours?
Basically..all day Friday sunup to sundown.

I drove cross country 5 times so this is easy.

Brownie

I can get up to Lincoln in less than an hour. So that area and Franconia Notch takes me a little less than an hour up 93 since I'm right around exit 20 in Tilton.

Crawford Notch is closer to 1.5 hours.
Pinkham is just under 2 I'd say.

Makes day hikes very easy being so close. Can get up there very early for the early start on the trail.

About 2 1/2 hours to the Kanc from Athol, MA driving 5 over the limit. I currently only go about once per year (the wife and little boy are not fans of driving 5-6 hours to hike 3 or 4), so I don't think I could decrease my frequency much more. :)

Smitty

drive time

I don't have a lot of vacation time left so this is was last weekends trip. Up at 3 am Saturday drive 4.5 hours to Lowes Path. Begin hike up Lowe's at 9:00am to Adams - hang at Madison a while, back down Airline, stop at refreshing stream, to car by 8:00pm and home by 12:30. Along day but worth it! I needed it bad. I have done this in the winter as well but usually make a two day trip of those.

120 miles from my house to Lafayette Place campground. Everything else is either farther or nearer.

Did anyone else find it interesting that only five people answered the original question of how far they drive, rather than how long it takes them? ;)

JohnL

JohnL said:
... Everything else is either farther or nearer. -- JohnL

So, this means what... that you live near or right at the center of the universe?

[and if you do, then I now know that you are from Wheeling, W VA, because I've been told that it IS the center of the universe...]

bubba said:
So, this means what... that you live near or right at the center of the universe?

No, it means I know the mileage from my house to Lafayette Place campground. I don't know the mileage to other places. So, therefore, they are nearer if they are closer to my house and they are farther if they are beyond Lafayette Place. Nothing cosmic about it. And if you believe that the universe is infinite, then there is no center. :eek: ;)

JohnL

catskillclimber said:
How far do you drive to hike? I find that with the rising gas prices I have been getting out to hike less and less because I have to drive so far to reach nice peaks. Just curious.
cc

5 1/2 hours to Acadia, all for the South Ridge Trail up Cadillac, with ocean views on three sides.

1 1/2 to 3 plus hours for the Whites. Washington, Lafayette, Lincoln, Osceola, and Carrigain have offered my favorite views in the Whites so far.

1/2 hour to North Pack. The views of Mount Monadnock, South Pack, Wachusett in MA, and VT mtns are sweet and close by!

Roxi

Going for the title:

About 12 hours (700 mi) from Raleigh area to Albany (friends) or Syracuse (parents). 7 from DC, if I stay over with friends there.

With Albany, I often invest an extra hour detouring (via Scranton and Binghamton). More scenery (and more rock cuts) to admire, and avoids the tolls, traffic and aggravation that lurk 95 from Baltimore through Jersey.

Averaging 1-3 High Peaks a year now. Knew it'd be that way, when I moved down from Rochester almost 13 years ago (after hiking 10 in Summer '92 !).
But a job's a job.

1 1/2 - 2 hrs to the Adk high peaks areas

1 - 1 1/2 hrs to many other Adk peaks

45 minutes to the closest mountain, which is Azure Mt. I hike that one often because of its proximity and because it has so much to offer for such a quick climb.

Oh how I wish I had a peak, any peak, in my back yard!