How old are you ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How old are you ?

• under 20

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 20's

Votes: 41 12.9%
  • 30's

Votes: 61 19.1%
  • 40's

Votes: 86 27.0%
  • 50's

Votes: 94 29.5%
  • 60's

Votes: 32 10.0%
  • 70's

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 80 and up !

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
Pamola said:
Whoa whoa whoa. There are 15+ people in their twenties on this site?!?!?

No offense to my elders and wisers, of whom a great deal act, hike, and seem like they're younger than me and have taught me much, but who are you younger people? I know of maybe 4.

PM me, make yourself known, sound your barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world!
I'm 23, I hiked a lot while in high school especially in the Monadnock region. Since I've been in college I haven't had much time to hike. I hike Katahdin every year, with some trips to western Maine and Acadia mixed in. During the summer I work night shift 6 days a week, so after work got out in the morning once or twice a week I would make the epic 15 mile drive :cool: over to Monadnock and do a quick hike just to keep in shape.

hikrgrl said:
I grew up in Maine...and to me, camping was what I had to do in the backyard when my grandparents came to visit one week every summer and took over my bedroom (the tent I stayed in was 6 ft tall at the center). And, uh, that was it for my outdoors experience, for a long time.

Right after I graduated from college, I met a boy. This boy took me hiking, and I kinda liked it. And then, I decided that a bike ride around the Quabbin might make a nice loop (I thought I was going to die, after). And then, the boy introduced me to some of his friends who also liked to do outdoorsy things.

Things didn't work out with me and the boy, but since then (among many other things) I've hiked the 48 4Ks, done trail work in Idaho & Alaska, ridden my bicycle across the country, and whitewater kayaked on the Ottawa River...and my next project is to hike the AT next year.

I've decided that I will never have children - for myriad reasons, not the least of which is that I don't want to give up my lifestyle. Even though not having children isn't exactly "retiring" - it's a life decision which allows me to continue fueling my addiction.

BTW I just turned 29. And I have no intention of slowing down!
:cool:

WOW, you could practically be writing my story . . . it is REALLY spooky !!!

I grew up with my head in the books, a real nerd in high school . . . science fair, math club . . . the whole bit. Fast forward to college . . . met a boy, he took me hiking, first trip was a disaster but he kept taking me out hiking, we joined the RPI Outing Club, did some caving, some whitewater kayaking, then the boy broke my heart, left me after MANY years together, and I thought I would never survive that loss BUT when he left me, he left behind one thing, my love for the outdoors.

I didn't even realize it until I missed going out on trips and began reading, learning and planning my own trips. I went solo a lot, tried to convince friends to hike and eventually became pretty self-sufficient. A solo trip crosscountry after graduate school convinced me that I didn't need a man to be happy and content and pursue my true love . . . hiking. Then I thruhiked the Long Trail, found that man I had quit believing in and looking and hoping for and now I am 33, have a life long hiking partner whom I am lucky enough to be marrying this year and some pretty big life plans in the near future.

I LOVE, LOVE hiking and expect to continue to do so until I take my last breath. The kid thing is the BIG question mark, because I know that having kids will put a kink in my lifestyle, so we'll just wait and see how that works out.

BTW, I also am surprised how many 20-something read VFTT . . . where were all of you when I was single and looking for nice 20-something guy to hike with? ;)

sli74

I am 42 - started hiking seriously when I was 38. If you hike with me now you know it is not serious anymore, but rather comical. :D Interstingly, the vast majority of people I hike with are older than me - anywhere from a year or two older to upwards of 25 years. I hope to be doing this until I am dead - it keeps me happy and sane...not having a good winter as far as getting out is concerned by have the usual mega plans going for the rest of the year...

48 and still going strong. I’ve always been outdoorsy – camping, biking and hiking as a child and with my own kids. Since my kids have grown, hiking has intensified and has helped me through some difficult times. Hiked my NH 48’s in 10 months when I was 42. Finished my NE peaks at 46, my winter 48’s at 47 and I’m nearly finished my 100 highest. I’ve been laid up a couple times from hiking injuries, which can be very discouraging, messes with your mind and makes you wonder if you’ll ever hike again. But as long as I can walk, I’ll be hiking (with a little help from vitamin I). ;)

sli74 said:
BTW, I also am surprised how many 20-something read VFTT . . . where were all of you when I was single and looking for nice 20-something guy to hike with? ;)

I think the 20-something guys are wondering the same thing? Other than hkrgirl, there don't seem to be many 20-something ladies out there.

I'm set on the relationship front but if this dearth doesn't change, Marc's going to have to settle for Dr. Wu. And I don't think any of us want to deal with that.

Being in the 30-40 age group and male can't speak for women in the 20-30 range however, after reading the lengthy threads about 'missing hikers' and 'hiker safety' the 20-30 female demographic may have reservations about sharing the fact that they fit into the profile..

Pamola said:
I Other than hkrgirl, there don't seem to be many 20-something ladies out there.

b/c they are smart enough NOT to reveal who they are. Lots of crazies out there. Not saying 20 something gals can't handle themselves, but why invite trouble. lots a pinkblazing going on..... ;)

BTW - I am 35.....

I met a boy in college. He went hiking with his buddies and WITHOUT me. He eventually left me to hike the AT actually, and only wrote once the whole time. Meanwhile I immersed myself in grad school, and shortly after attaining my MS, began hiking solo A LOT. He called a lot when he got back, but I was much too busy hiking (and working!) to get back to him. :D

Kids are a temporary kink with long-term payback

sli74 said:
...The kid thing is the BIG question mark, because I know that having kids will put a kink in my lifestyle, so we'll just wait and see how that works out.

I think (I am banking on...) it's a temporary kink. I find that hiking, even just walks-in-the-woods, with kids brings you way back to a time when it was all new to you. Kids view the world from a low-angle, virgin-eyes perspective that really makes you see the mountains in an entirely different way.

I have friends who have been much more aggressive, and more successful, in immediately incorporating their very-small children in their outdoor lifestyles, but my kids have done well and love time spent outdoors as a family. Yes, you make accommodations, but kids seem to natively love the outdoors, and more to the point, they tend to love what we love. Also: look at this thread, and how many of us were lucky enough to be introduced to hiking and the mountains by older mentors, friends or family. Pay it forward, I say!

HockeyPuck said:
...the 20-30 female demographic may have reservations about sharing the fact that they fit into the profile..
I almost didn't post this thread because I didn't want the Mods thinking an older guy here was trolling for youngins', but they can respond to the poll without their identities revealed.

I'm a bit concerned with the apparent drop-off after the 40's and 50's. I think the hiking boom echo theory is a good one.

I grew up in Nyack, NY and did my first hiking in the Catskills. I lived for twenty years in France and hiked extensively in the Alps, Pyrenees, and the Black Mountains of south west France.

I have been in New England now for over seven years and have done the NEHH. I have always hiked with dogs and on occasion with other people. Like Tom Ryan, I feel most 'alive' when out alone with my dog. While hiking in the Whites I've met many from this board, but have hiked with only two: Jazzbo and Hikrgrl, and oh yes about a mile with marchowes at the end of a hike last summer. All were chance encounters but very interesting.

Hope to meet more of you as time goes by. :)

Chip said:
I'm a bit concerned with the apparent drop-off after the 40's and 50's. I think the hiking boom echo theory is a good one.
That's more likely a demographic of the Web, not the hikers.

Chip said:
I almost didn't post this thread because I didn't want the Mods thinking an older guy here was trolling for youngins', but they can respond to the poll without their identities revealed.

Well how do we know the 20s aren't split evenly male/female? We don't. The poll doesn't count gender.

Marc and Wu... ROTFLMAO!

As for dating advice... well do what you like to do often and you will bump into someone else doing the same. And that way you can always claim successfully you were hiking every weekend BEFORE you tied the knot. Yeah, good luck with that ;)

Tim

Speaking of demographics, the poll is an accurate representation of those that hike and use VFTT for information about hiking; not necessarily a representation of all those hiking. (That doesn't mean it's not a great thread!)

From my own experience, I would argue that a large percentage of 20-somethings wouldn't be "smart" enough to use a resource such as this or many of the other available resources.

20-something #1: "I heard from some guy who used to date this chick that I knew once that Mt. Washington was a good place to hike, Let's go!"
20-something #2: "Yeah, let's camp or something."
20-something #1: "We need a map."
20-something #2: "I have one in my car. It says take Route 93."

At least that's how I started.

EDIT: BTW, 32 and still have a lot to learn.

HockeyPuck said:
...after reading the lengthy threads about 'missing hikers' and 'hiker safety' the 20-30 female demographic may have reservations about sharing the fact that they fit into the profile..
Pamola said:
Marc's going to have to settle for Dr. Wu.
dr_wu002 said:
I'm willing to get a sex change...
That does have kind of a creepy, stalker-vibe doesn't it?

Well, ok... I am married, and my wife actually got me into hiking, and she probably wants me to remain a male... so, Marc is off the hook (for now).

-Dr. Wu

bikehikeskifish said:
Well how do we know the 20s aren't split evenly male/female? We don't. The poll doesn't count gender.

Tim
Who said I'd care ? :eek:

Now THAT'S stalker creepy, Wu ! ;)

As far as demographics, statistics and poll accuracy; I understand this is a small, isolated sample.
You are, primarily, the people I hike with though, so it works for my purposes.

Old enough to know better,

but young enough to keep trying anyway.

I think Trailbiscuit hit it right with his 20 somethings' conversation about going hiking. My first overnight backpack was like that, not in the mountains though. It was in a great ravine near Fredonia, NY-the name Arkwright rings a bell. Three friends, one tent, my school bookbag (which 11 years later my husband still uses as a daypack, much to my horror), a cotton Wenzel sleeping bag tied to the outside, a bag of bread and a whole container of peanut butter. We had no map, had never been camping before, found swimming holes, picked up cool rocks, camped illegally (we didn't know it at the time), built a fire, got shooed away in the morning by the land owner, watched a garter snake devour a toad and generally had a grand, unstructured adventure.

Last edited:
Converging on 60; hiking more than ever. Started in the boy scouts.

There are some very good, very well informed 20-something hikers...many I would and have trusted my life to in the backcountry.

But I do agree that there is a slow learning introduction curve to the sport.
As a 20 something as stated above... I get this alot:

20-something #1: Hey I hear you like hiking, I want to go with you some weekend and hike Washington.
Me: Alright, it's January what gear do you have?
20-something # 1: I got these work boots and my dad has a backpack. Oh...and a ski jacket.
Me: Hmmm...why don't we wait until summer, and in the mean time I'll show you my packlist.

It's not a good way to make friends...but it is a good way to keep them!

~w7x

trailbiscuit said:
From my own experience, I would argue that a large percentage of 20-somethings wouldn't be "smart" enough to use a resource such as this or many of the other available resources.

20-something #1: "I heard from some guy who used to date this chick that I knew once that Mt. Washington was a good place to hike, Let's go!"
20-something #2: "Yeah, let's camp or something."
20-something #1: "We need a map."
20-something #2: "I have one in my car. It says take Route 93."

At least that's how I started.

Last edited: