How tough is Tecumseh?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as the footing is good, I should be fine.

I haven't got much of worth to add other than my vote for descending via the ski slope (so starting at the ski area), as it's good views most of the way down AND...

- Consider trekking poles if footing is a concern... it's by no means a tough descent, but I found the footing on the work-road quite crumbly in some places last summer, and was surprised then (and again last Sunday AM when I mountain-biked about a third of the way up the work-road) that slopes I straight-line in the winter because they are flat and boring are actually surprisingly steep in the summer... throw in some broken talus and you get some slipping and sliding

- I don't think anyone else specifically addressed "gimpy Lab"... you didn't get specific here, but it's worth considering that the long, straight, steepish stretch that others referenced does have some rough footing and mild rock-hopping when viewed from a dog's perspective. Just a thought, and others who have hiked it with dogs might be able to provide more advice.

Thanks everyone.
I think we will go up the trail from the ski area, but Drews' comment bears considering.
I can only use 1 hiking pole for now.:(
Max is a 10 y/o yellow lab with sore shoulders and 10 y/o hips. He usually does well on not-so-steep stuff. He did so well on our last hike (Bridalveil Falls) that we thought we would try a 'real' mountain that both of us could (hopefully) do. I am not too proud to turn around if either of us can't handle it.
If the ski slopes are too rugged, is the trail close enough that we can reunite with it?
sandy

The hiking trail and the ski trails are close up to the point where the sign says "<-- View" and goes to the slopes (and actually a bit further on there is a herd path to the slopes. Once you are on the long, straight, steep part, you are heading away from the ski area.

Look at this sat photo with the trail to the north. You can see as the ski area forms diamond to the left that the distance from the trail increases.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.964372,-71.541896&spn=0.021777,0.037808&t=h&z=15

Tim

Tim's right on -- and I often use the "<< View" sign as a bail-out for a one-hour loop with kids... the walk through the woods up till there is really pretty, with just one minor brook crossing. If you got to the steeps and decided to bail, this would work fine for you or Max.

Note: if you do bail out at the convergence point -- the first ski trail you come to at the short cut-through (Boneyard) is pretty steep, a bit ledgy, and can be wet. If you continue up the Mt Tecumseh trail another few hundred feet, then cut out, you come out at the base of the Northside chair, and you have a couple options for walking down that are a little gentler, if you don't like the looks of the first trail.

Have fun!

If you continue up the Mt Tecumseh trail another few hundred feet, then cut out, you come out at the base of the Northside chair, and you have a couple options for walking down that are a little gentler, if you don't like the looks of the first trail.

This is exactly where the herd path I mentioned above comes out - right at the Northside Double on the Boneyard trail. Walk across the whole trail here - the best views on the hike, w/o going to the ski summit station via Sossman.

Go across to the blue barrel off to the back right and down that way...

Tim