Howdy and Hancocks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desi Hiker

Reaction score
As a new VFTT member who has been a lurker for oh so long, I thought I would take this opportunity to say Hi! and Thanks! to you fine folks for all the great information, tips, and entertainment over the years. Thanks also to Jazzbo for his sponsorship - I swear it had nothing to do with the $100 REI gift certificate I slipped him at the Galehead Hut. I'd also like to thank the academy...OK, maybe not. :D

Now my question: If all goes well, I hope to hike the Hancocks from the Kanc this Friday (#44 and #45). Does anyone know the state of the stream crossings along the Cedar Brook Trail? A past post mentioned a bushwhack to avoid many of them; is this well-used and easily spotted?

Cheers,

Desi Hiker

I was in on the Hancocks on Saturday and all the stream crossings were high. Most of the smaller (and larger) streams had many icy rocks that could not be avoided so you had to step carefully. Two of the crossings on the Cedar Brook Trail (at the oxbow turn in the stream) were avoided by bushwhacking around to the right (going in). With more precipitation this week, I would expect the conditions to be similar to what I experienced.

JohnL

Welcome, Desi Hiker :D

It is quite wet out there right now; it's raining all day today. I got soaked today tracking a moose family that I saw crossing the road, and areas that are only swampy during high water were swampy. However, Friday should be a very beautiful day in the White Mts.

Happy Trails :)

Welcome aboard Desi Hiker!

Welcome aboard Desi Hiker! Thanks for the kudos. I have hike scheduled for Saturday so I was wondering if it's been raining as heavy in NH as it has been here in Mass. I've been searching around Nat Weather Svc for news on rainfall in NH and came across this page. It doesn't appear to be as wet in upper NH as it is down here. Of course maybe VFTT'rs from NH will report with local info.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphic_hmd/pcpn.html

So maybe those stream crossings won't be so bad. However both routes to Hancock summit ridge are steep and will likely be icy. Might be a good stabilicer situation. Stabilicers might help on icy stream crossings too. Nat Weather Svc Forecast also mentions "anomolously warm" temps on Friday. Some of that early snow might be pretty slushy. Myself I don't like to hike in weather I can't spell. :D

Last edited:
I did that route on Sunday the 5th, and I did not find it troublesome. There were enough rocks poking up from the stream to step across w/o wet feet, although hiking poles came in VERY useful. The highest stream crossing on the Loop Trail did have significant ice on it. I'm not sure what the temps have been, so it may vary now.

The first bushwhack is very easy to find and avoids two crossings. The next one is also easy to find, but I think crossing the stream at the trail is better than the 'whack, which leads to a worse section to cross.

Thanks for the info, guys; it was most helpful.

The stream crossings seemed to be a lot better today than what JohnL experienced last Saturday - there was no ice on the rocks at all. Of course, the poles helped.