hows the hiking been during the drought

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
havent been out in 3 weeks. even then the creek was dry at slide/catskills parking lot.
How has it been this year and do you consider this a good weather year or not.
Cant imagine doing a long hike with no water to filter and have to carry it with you.:(

Did hikes in the Wild River (NH side) area where usually there are at least 4 major crossings where one would need to wade...only one crossing where one of three hikers had to wade...even this latest heavy rain last night and today has seemed not to help raise the water levels...

There have been several small forest fires. Water is hard to come by. Always appreciated when folks post where water can be obtained! :D

A lot of Adirondack lakes are down... you can tell from the "bathtub ring" around the shore. I've seen ones that are pretty obviously down at least a foot from their normal depth.

Also, higher in elevation, a lot of plants are suffering. Herbaceous vegetation is dying and drying up. Saplings and small trees are starting to wilt, even change colors and lose their leaves!

Wet & muddy.

McIntire Ridge between Iroquois & Wright peaks was very wet, slick & muddy on Sunday (July 29). My guess is if we had a drought severe enough to dry up lake Champlain it would still be muddy there.

With a drought like this, who needs a monsoon ?

OK, I get rain has been down this year, Lake Champlain is down under 95'. Since it was 103' a little over a year ago, I can see an upside to it. Also enjoying not having to cut the lawn as frequently this year.