Huntington Ravine Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
I've always wanted to go Huntington Ravine Trail, but I don't want to fight any residual snow or water on the headwall. Has anyone been up there recently and as a side note does anyone know if the alpine garden is in bloom yet?

Any suggestions or feedback on the trail would be appreciated.

We had a good view of it from Carter Dome on Saturday. Tuckermans still had a good deal of snow but Huntingtons seemed to only have a few pockets left. There may still be some ice in the gullies.

Last edited:
I drove by Mt. Washington on Rt 16 coming home from Cabot and it looked to me that there was still a lot of ice/snow in huntington ravine.

One of my friends went up the trail last summer, in july, and there was still water on the headwall.

Good luck

probably not telling you anthing you don't know but if that trail is still icy or even wet - It probably can be pretty nasty. I don't know that for sure as have only done it in dry conditions. But my guess is it will be at least very wet right now - maybe still some ice.

Last edited:
I'd call the amc at pinkham notch and ask the people at the desk. I wouldn't even think of climbing that with any snow or ice on the upper part.

We hiked down the Nelson Crag trail last Sunday and we could see into Huntington Ravine pretty well. There was still some snow in some of the gullys but the trail proper is not really in a gully. I would imagine that with the warm temperatures this past week that there has been significant snow melt. As long as there is no rain the trail should be fine - if you don't mind the exposure. Start early to avoid any thunderstorms.