Hydration pack in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
DougPaul said:
A 1 liter bottle on my pack would be a nuisance.
Chip said:
I don't think so. I carry a 1 liter in an insulated carrier on my sternum strap all the time.
If it doesn't bother you, that is fine. Others might reasonably differ.

I carry mine on my belt, not my sternum strap. Whatever works for each user is fine.

A half liter would require twice as many "change-outs"
A disadvantage of a half-liter bottle on the outside. I would use a 1 liter bottle if it didn't annoy me. A readily available half liter is still better than having to stop and take one's pack off to drink.

Doug

Last edited:
I usually carry my insulated Nalgene in my pack, but I have also carried a liter on my packs waist belt. I don't mind droping my pack for a couple of minutes every hour to take a few good gulps of water.

There may be occasions when a hydration pack will work with temps below 20 degrees, but I would rather not risk having frozen water. Add a fair bit of wind to temps below 20 degrees and you will at least be sucking slush if you can get any fluid at all.

Maybe you guys are always freezing your lines because you are not drinking often enough, or maybe my water doesn't freeze (or get slushed) because I use a filtration unit at my home that changes the water somehowdoubt it because I've used other water before. Whatever the reason, I do understand that you guys are having issues, but I also understand that I don't. Lot's of folks who have hiked with me can attest to this. It's great that you are giving your advice that works, but if other advice that works has been given, keep the poo pooing down to a minimum please :eek: . I always say go out and try it yourself and see what works and what doesn't. Of course if the hike is tough, put off experimenting for an easier one. Anyhow, happy hiking.

personableness said:
Maybe you guys are always freezing your lines because you are not drinking often enough, or maybe my water doesn't freeze (or get slushed) because I use a filtration unit at my home that changes the water somehowdoubt it because I've used other water before. Whatever the reason, I do understand that you guys are having issues, but I also understand that I don't. Lot's of folks who have hiked with me can attest to this. It's great that you are giving your advice that works, but if other advice that works has been given, keep the poo pooing down to a minimum please :eek: . I always say go out and try it yourself and see what works and what doesn't. Of course if the hike is tough, put off experimenting for an easier one. Anyhow, happy hiking.
My family and I don't have any problems either with freezeing. We use the insulated bag and hose and always hold the hose up to let it drain back down in then we tuck the mouth piece down into my collar under my chin where it lays on the top of my chest.
We've done this for 3 years now and have been in temps down to 0 for sure. You have to be careful though as it can freeze up quick this way if you take the pack off and lay it down or if one crawls on his hands and knees for the water can work out of the bag into the hose.

Hydration bladder for winter use

I use nothing but my hydration bladder in 3 season hiking but avoid using it in winter. I should add that I winter hike primarily in the NH White Mountains. I've hiked in winter with people who do use a bladder but I have enough to think about with winter hiking (e.g. heat management, navigation, checking other people in my group) than to add one more thing that requires special care or adds risk to my trip. I winter hike with two nalgene liter bottles, one in my pack filled with boiling water in an insulated carrier, the other with tang added to boiling water which is attached to my sternum pack strap in an insulated carrier. It is easy to get to and with the frequent layer change stops there are enough opportunities to stay well hydrated. In any season the important thing is to have your water accessible. The success of a hydration bladder in winter is dependent on the air temperature and knowing what range of temperature you are like to encounter during the day. I'm sure it can be successfully used in teens and 20's with appropriate care but the risk of freezing increases significantly in single digits and below zero conditions. One of my goals in winter hiking is to reduce risk as much as possible and to not use equipment that adds risk. A multi-day winter backpack poses even more challenges for a hydration bladder.

IMO not staying hydrated is a huge risk, and as Dory posted, "I've found that I don't drink nearly enough when I carry a water bottle".

I believe it's always advisable to carry a thermos with hot sugary liquid. And a nalgene in case/ for <0.

I'd like to hear how her plan to use the hose down the sleeve works out, go for it and please keep us posted. It sounds like a great idea.

So here's what I did..

I don't even have a nice camelback or anything insulated :eek:
I took an old fleece pullover I had and sewed a carrying bag for my platypus with 2 shoulder straps. I also sewed an insulator for my hose.
I put on my base layer, put on my platypus carrier, and then the rest of my layers.
Initially I ran the hose down my arm, under my layers, but found that my mouthpiece leaked if I bumped it, so I quickly let it come across my chest and out my neck area.
I wore this setup for 3 days, sometimes carrying my full pack and sometimes a day pack on 3/19-3/21. My water was room temperature to warm. (The warm water felt awesome!)
I drank and drank, as I do in the summer. I usually sip about every 5 minutes. I forgot all about blowing back (my first winter trip...give me a break :) ) but am happy to report that I had no problems at all! I love this setup, I was able to keep very hydrated, I'll most likely stick with it in the future.

Thanks for all the interest and advice!
Dory

p.s. I did carry an empty nalgene with sock for insulation as an emergency backup, in the event my hose froze so I could pour the water over.

I wore my camelbak snodawg (has the insulated tube and rubber cover over the mouthpiece) snowmobiling this winter in temps as low as -10 at 70mph and had absolutely no freezing problems, I do what the others said and blow into it.