I Need A 'Dacks Update!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOysterhead

Reaction score
Hey ya'll, I've been out of the 'dacks and out of touch since the beginning of June (a month in Wyoming followed by a week in Vermont). Any developments in the 'dacks this summer that I should know about before I head up there on the 8th? How are the bears (we'll be carrying cannisters)? How's the mud? How are the bugs? THANKS!!!

cheers
Chris

ps - if you want to see photos from the Wind River Mountains in Wyoming...
http://community.webshots.com/user/mtnhxc_nols

MrOysterhead said:
Hey ya'll, I've been out of the 'dacks and out of touch since the beginning of June (a month in Wyoming followed by a week in Vermont). Any developments in the 'dacks this summer that I should know about before I head up there on the 8th? How are the bears (we'll be carrying cannisters)? How's the mud? How are the bugs?

The bugs were terrible last weekend. :(

The mud probably varies from rain to rain, and place to place.

I haven't heard anything exceptional one way or the other.

Tom Rankin said:
The bugs were terrible last weekend. :(

The bugs must be pretty specific to certain areas. Last Saturday I didn't even have to put on bug spray. Same goes for the trip before that (early July).

Seems like it has been relatively dry this year. Haven't run in to much mud.

Tons of trips, still haven't seen a bear.

-Shayne

The mud really wasn't much on the way to Bradley Pond. I didn't go beyond that (to the lean-to) however. It does seem that July has been pretty dry after a very wet May-June period.

There were practically no bugs on the Santanoni Range on Saturday, and what few there were took no interest in me even without bug spray.

I just got home yesterday after six nights in the dack's

The mud was not bad but, I guess it depends on what trail you hike.

I saw no bears, even while spending two nights at a lean-to in the flowed lands area. " bear central ".
I talked to a guy who was camped in the same general area who forgot to hang his soap,toothpaste, ect. and he had some issues.

I did'nt use bug repellent once!

I think the bugs are pretty localized... none to speak of the last couple of days on Pitchoff & Big Slide; lower elevations to the east of the Northway had some pesky skeeters & deerflies, but not in abundance.