ice ax training

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to do some AMC hikes then ice axes are required.

You may want to check other chapters. NH Chapter has had hikes listed for each of the 4ks without the need for ice axes, or plastic boots for that matter.

Good to know - both about the possibility of your posted hikes and that you hiked solo. I did one hike solo last winter. I made it across a stream that hikers behind me did not. I got a little lecture from one when we crossed paths (I was returning; they were still heading up to the peak) about how I shouldn't be alone and that I could have been the one to go through the ice as at least one of them had. Point well taken and it did freak me out a bit.

I did 19/48 solo last winter. I met various people along the way on almost every trip. Moriah was the only one I can think of that I did not run into at least one other hiker, and I hiked weekdays for a good number of the 48. I plan to advertise some more trips this winter, but I cannot commit to long lead times... usually Thursday or Friday for Saturday or Sunday.

Stay tuned,
Tim

Beth - there are lots of people who hike solo, in whole or in part (count me as one who does both). Occasionally there's a thread here where the pros and cons of it are discussed - if you'd like start one, I'm sure it would be very popular for a week or so.

I'd be curious to know how many of you do solo winter hikes.

I hiked solo through my entire first round of the 48. This included 5 "winter" peaks and multiple others with snow. On a couple I never saw a person, but on most you will see someone at some point. Even if I plan to hike a certain day/weekend, I normally change my mind about what peak anywhere up to the day before. So having others try to plan on coming is hard. Plus most of my friends that aren't on these forums are as into hiking as I am.

Ive been a soloist for years, thats not to say I havent gone through hiking partners, but soloing seems to be a commen occurance with me. I love soloing and feel very safe, one winter I soloed Washington twice a week for the calender winter just to be on all the routes I could and be one with the mountain. The thing is, while many of us take soloing for granted, it is much more dangerous then having partners, that point cannot be over stressed to someone new to soloing. IF you get hurt and its in bad or very cold conditions,being solo can be a issue.

Good to know - both about the possibility of your posted hikes and that you hiked solo. I did one hike solo last winter. I made it across a stream that hikers behind me did not. I got a little lecture from one when we crossed paths (I was returning; they were still heading up to the peak) about how I shouldn't be alone and that I could have been the one to go through the ice as at least one of them had. Point well taken and it did freak me out a bit.
Beth,

Soloing is certainly less forgiving of mistakes and accidents than hiking in groups. Many soloists are more careful when alone than when in groups (myself included). I personally suggest than you get some experience winter hiking with groups before doing much winter soloing. That said, there are good groups and bad groups, good group leaders and bad group leaders...

Doug

I hiked/backpacked solo this summer and absolutely loved it. I did a long trip from the Highland Center straight through to Passaconaway and my favorite section was the pemi wilderness where I saw no one. I'm sure I would especially like solo winter hiking. I'll feel better about it with a few more group trips under my belt. This is the subject of another thread, I realize. In the meantime, I'm signed up for the mountaineering class (with ice axe training) and I will be doing several group trips; at least one that requires the ice axe.

Beth - there are lots of people who hike solo, in whole or in part (count me as one who does both). Occasionally there's a thread here where the pros and cons of it are discussed - if you'd like start one, I'm sure it would be very popular for a week or so.

Most important: leave an itinerary with a precise "Call Fish & Game at this number & report me missing if you don't here from me by XXX o'clock" on it. You don't want anyone jumping the gun but you also don't want to be out there too long in winter conditions if something happens, like, say, you slip and break your leg.

But of course as you say that can be another thread and there will tons of other opinions including "Don't do it" and "Have a stove, extra food, and a bivy for overnight."

Groupon has a deal for you. Marked down from a greater amount of $360 to a lesser amount of $250. Before you gag, it is for two people.

Here are the details:

Hook your ice axe into a true winter adventure with an invigorating mountaineering course.

Learn your way around the majestic White Mountains, on the Welsh and Dickey loop trail.

Perfect intro course for two beginners, mountain men or avid climbers. (Beard optional)

Learn the ropes on\ crampon, ice tool techniques & belaying for the ultimate in snowbound travel.

On the Welsh-Dickey Loop. Really???