Ideas for dehydrating food

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hikerdad

Reaction score
What ideas do you folks have for dehydrating food for backpacking? I've done the obligatory apple and banana chips (worked great) and of course jerky is a favorite...last time we ran out at home even before the trip...later found out son #2 had taken most of it to school and was selling it...

I experimented with spaghetti sauce and loose hamburger meat but it looked a bit gross when I rehydrated it at home.

What have you guys had success with? I have one of those inexpensve dehydraters with the round trays.....

Thanks,

Did you soak the hamburger meat for a while first when re-hydrating it? I've actually had pretty good luck with ground meats. I usually have to break up the sauce in the plastic bag before adding it to the meat and pasta or I find it stays lumpy.

I have also had great success with pineapple and strawberries. I'm doing some cantalope right now for the first time.

I think jerky is what I use it for the most. Lots of recipes out there.

>>I experimented with spaghetti sauce and loose hamburger meat but it looked a bit gross when I rehydrated it at home. <<

I didn't do the drying, but hiking partners have done spaghetti sauce in their dryers. We'd mix it with either jerky or FD burger on the trail. Worked fairly well.

Have also done mexican that way. FD some taco sause and re-fried beans (separately). Mix with burger or jerky. Works fairly well.

Also... watch Oberto's web page:

http://store.obertofactorystore.com/.

They occasionally offer some very good deals on "odds and ends" from their processing. Have been able to purchase jerky pieces for less than the cost of a decent cut of beef of a pre-dried equivalent weight.

I buy lean hamburger and then cook it and drain the fat off. I then dehydrate it and it turns into a kind of meat gravel. That exactly what it sounds like on the plastic dehydrator disks. Rehydrates really really well though. A little water in the spagetti sauce to rehydrate the meat or add to soup or anywhere a little meat would work. It really rehydrates well and adds a lot to the food.

Keith

Beans and rice, beans and rice, beans and rice.... are nice!

(They dehydrate well also)

I used to do a lot of veggies. For longer trips I would just buy bags of frozen veggies and dump them right on the trays.
I would also make big batches of chil and dehydrate that as well as other stew-like or one-pot leftovers.

Now that I don't do much more than weekend trips, I really only use the dehydrator in Late Summer when I buy lots of farm fresh peppers and tomatoes, I set the dehydrator up in the garage and rotate trays and cut up vegetables!!

Last edited:
I've dehydrated canned soups. They make a good base for trail stews and such and the preservatives gives them a longer shelf life. Salsa dehydrates really well.

Now Rhihn, sour cream? How did you do that? I never thought sour cream would work well...

Hamburger is an excellent dried meat addition, comes back just like fresh. I fry it, then rinse in hot water before drying.

Veggies, fresh or frozen, work great as an adjunct to virtually any meal. Most of my meals I pick up in the grocery store (red beans and rice, soups, etc.)

I have also started dehydrating leftovers. One pot meals such as chili, goulash, stews all dry and rehydrate extremely well. Experiment at home before you hit the trail. Pasta based dished will rehydrate with less than 10 minutes of simmering. Beans take a good 20 minutes. These work great as single person servings when I solo.

Dehydrating leftovers during the winter gives me a good supply of meals for the busy three seasons.

How do people store their dried foods?

Tony

I make my own fruit leather. It's really easy - just puree the fruit in a blender. If you are lazy, you can even use applesauce - I often dehydrate the flavored applesauces with great success.

I also have dried leftovers and have a couple of dishes that I bake first and then dehydrate. I usually bring one meal like this when going on an extended backpacking trip so that even if I run out of fuel, I can still rehydrate a meal and eat (even if it is cold). Another option is to dehydrate "salads". I have a couple of recipes for a carrot/pineapple salad, coleslaw, and a bean salad. To rehydrate, just pour in some water and let sit appox. 15 to 30 minutes. It's nice to have some "fresh" veggies on a trip.

I usually store my dehyrated food in the freezer in baggies. I can usually get most of the air out of the baggies, but I really want to get one of those food storage systems that gets all the air out.

Healthy junk food

It isn't in season now... Those winter tomatoes just don't dehdrate right, and the basil isn't fresh now, either. But when summer comes along...

Slice tomatoes about 1/4-3/8 inch thick, push on a leaf of basil, sprinkle with a little salt, then dry. They come out like chips: Tomato chips. On the downside, they provide very little calories. On the upside they are quite tasty, and probably provide vitamins (probably only useful on longer trips).

You might try a drop of olive oil on them, but I wouldn't keep them as long this way.

Hikerdad said:
What ideas do you folks have for dehydrating food for backpacking? I've done the obligatory apple and banana chips (worked great) and of course jerky is a favorite...last time we ran out at home even before the trip...later found out son #2 had taken most of it to school and was selling it...

I experimented with spaghetti sauce and loose hamburger meat but it looked a bit gross when I rehydrated it at home.

What have you guys had success with? I have one of those inexpensve dehydraters with the round trays.....

Thanks,
You can, and I do, dehydrate just about anything that does not have excessive fat in it. The biggest mistake to be made when rehydrating is trying to rush the process. Fruits and some other things don't have to be rehydrated, but may be made into a nice sauce if you do. Anything else I want moist and hot requires a full 20 minutes to rehydrate as a rule of thumb. Pour boiling water on the dry food either in a pot or heat proof bag, usually to an inch above the food level. Stir, then insulate it with a fleece jacket or anything you have (I made a fleece cozy bag to put the pot in). For most hard-dry items you must wait a full 20 minutes. In 10 minutes you will be disappointed. Check at 15 for enough water, otherwise don't peek. Wait 20, it will stay plenty hot in the insulating cozy. If you haven't insulated well enough you can reheat gently at the end. A very few items will benefit from gently heating on a low flame at the beginning of rehydrating.

Dry any kind of sliced fresh fruit, or make fruit roll up leathers with any fruit, fresh or canned - just puree with applesauce or crushed pineapple to give the leathery texture. Melons are great. Watermelon slices become sweet candy. Slice apples in a bowl and coat with brown sugar, cinnamon, and a splash of lemon juice for a few minutes before drying. Bananas can be splashed with lemon juice also, or soaked in pineapple juice - dry the pineapple at the same time.

Hamburger (or sausage) gravel you have already seen posted here - I cook the lean meat well along with onions and herbs, making sure it is broken up small, drain, and press between 2 cookie sheets with paper towels to squeeze out excess fat. I've recently been drying a lot of corned beef. Boil it (try it boiled in Guinness), slice it, cut off fat, dry it. You can either keep it as corned beef jerky, or pulverize it in a food processor or blender. It comes out kind of like bacon bits and can be added to anything. You can also dry until crispy those pouches of already "dry" sliced beef, but rinse the slices under water first to get rid of the extreme amount of salt. Try corned beef hash out of a can. Dry it, and it rehydrates back to original condition. Try to find the low fat version, but the regular kind works ok.

Vegetables - Shave raw carrots using a vegetable peeler or a coarse cheese grater and dry. Mix with other things or eat as a dry snack. Dry carrots have kind of the mouth feel of coconut and tastes sweet. I love to cook onions, tomatoes, and zuchinni in a sauce, then dry into a leather. Mushrooms dry to zero weight and recover nicely or can be powdered. Dehydrated cabbage rehydrates perfectly - be creative with it. Saurkraut recovers nicely or becomes a fun dry snack, as do sliced pickles. As we speak I have several cans of creamed corn drying in my dehydrator. I'll either break up the resulting dry corn into small pieces or I'll pulverize it in a processor before bagging. Refried beans and salsa - dry separately, mix together to rehydrate, meat optional, fresh grated cheese a luxury, serve on a flour tortilla in the wilderness.

Casseroles and the like - anything you make at home, dry it. Look up some regular home made potato and vegetable casserole recipes and try them. If you like them at home you will like them dried and rehydrated on the trail. Try mashed potatoes mixed with creamed soup and bits of cooked vegetables. Spinach casseroles, including those with eggs and cheese, work great also. Spaghetti can be dried either with sauce and pasta mixed together or dried separately. Cook the pasta normally at home and it will rehydrate in a few minutes under boiling water, either by itself or smothered in your favorite sauce. Don't forget the 20 minute rule. Spaghetti sauce can be dried separately if you prefer, either into a leather and folded or rolled, or dried further and powdered in a food processor or blender. The most wonderful dried sauce is regular spaghetti sauce mixed with cooked pureed together pinto beans, onions, mushrooms, and black olives. Mix optionally with hamburger or sausage "gravel" to rehydrate. Home made Chili with beans works well also, as does any rice dish. Try jambalaya made with shrimp and meat pieces cut up very small.

You know those bricks of hash brown potatoes you get at McDonalds? Buy them frozen at the supermarket. Break apart and dry them, crush into small pieces. Rehydrate in a cup for 5 minutes (not 20). Mix with some rehydrated corned beef and fix up a package of McCormick's Country Gravy. I buy dehydrated eggs (don't home dry uncooked eggs) from kingarthurflour.com to scramble. Yum.

The bible of regular food dehydrating is "Mary Bell's Complete Food Dehydrator Cookbook". If you cook at home you don't really need another cookbook to do this, but for new ideas especially for camping I most highly recommend "Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail" by Linda Frederick Yaffe.

To get other ideas of what you can dry, look at http://trailfoods.com. From what I have seen of their products, you get much the same as you would dry at home (dehydrator dried, not freeze-dried), and vacuum packaged.

I store everything dry in the freezer until I'm ready to camp with it, just to be sure it stays fresh, especially if it has much oil or fat. But most everything will stay fresh for many weeks at room temp if well sealed. Again, don't forget to insulate most items hot for at least 20 minutes as the most important rule for success.

Last edited:
More junkfood

Now, this one may sound weird, but the taste is somethnig else:

Watermellon-Jalapeno

Yep. Start with a fair sized slice of watermellon, remove pits, and cover with paper-thin slices of jalapeno peppers. The watermellon is sickeningly sweet, and it mixes strangely with the hot taste of the peppers. If you like things hotter, you probably know what kind of peppers to use instead of jalapeno.

BTW, if you're wondering how I came up with this combination... I sliced watermellon for dehydrating, using the same knofe that I had just used for slicing peppers. The first slice had enough taste of the peppers to get me to experiment further.

For really good fruit leathers, I puree the fruit, then boil for a little while before pouring onto a tray. Add honey or a little sugar for extra sweetness. The best were my strawberry/kiwi, although there were a ton of seeds in there.

I have also dehydrated my wife's homemade chili which came out excellent.

Off the dehydrator track for a second. Lightest, easiest and tastiest trail dinner: ramen noodles (minus sodium chicken flavor packet), Knoor powdered spaghetti sauce, grated parmesan in a ziploc bag. Just add water. Mmmmmmm...

Otherwise, Nessmuk has it covered!

Dehydrator question

I bought a cheap dehydrator and it works on banannas and fruit (that is all that I have tried it on). I know that there are more expensive dehydrators out there with adjustable temperature settings. For the stuff listed on this thread do you need a higher end dehydrator?

Thanks

omegaman said:
I bought a cheap dehydrator and it works on banannas and fruit (that is all that I have tried it on). I know that there are more expensive dehydrators out there with adjustable temperature settings. For the stuff listed on this thread do you need a higher end dehydrator?

Thanks
Well, sort of. You can get an idea and limp by with just a kitchen oven turned on low, but in the long run you wont be really happy if you try to dry very much, and the risk is giving up completely on the whole method.

You have 3 choices - heavy with moisture supermarket fresh and canned food, expensive and tasteless freeze-dried, or home-cooked-flavor lightweight home dehydrated. Only you can make the trade choice based on your hiking style and frequency. But once you see the ease and quality of your backpacking meals with a $60-$100 dehydrator, you will never want your food to be heavy or expensive again.

What is really important is consistent, even drying. Some ultra cheap dehydrators have just a heater with no thermostat or fan. I highly recommend a thermostat and fan. When I needed to dry a lot of food for a scout trip, a friend had one with just a heater and we set up both mine and his drying together. There was no comparison in speed or quality, with his drying very unevenly and slowly. A fan is important for quick and even drying. A thermostat is nice to turn on high for cooked food, low for fresh fruits and the like.

Last edited:
Some great suggestions Nessmuk. Also, thanks for the book recomendations.

I have an American harvester which I have been using for years and even bought extra trays for. I have heard sometimes mixed reviews but I like it. I have done fruit, meat and vegetables. I have used meat and fruit that has been several years old. I store everything in ziplocks in the freezer until I need it. My kids love the fruit roll ups and I really like the meat and like has been mentioned, the strawberrys, blueberries, cantalope, bananas and watermellon are more like candy than fruits. When you look at the weight that you carry on a week long trip you will find that by far a great deal of your weight is the food you are carrying. Usually as a line item, only your tent may weigh more. Anything that you can do to reduce that weight is worth it. But to be able to reduce it a considerable amount and still have the kind of quality that you can have is a real bonus.

I may try that Watermellon-Jalapeno also. Sound odd but who knows. :confused:

Keith

Warren said:
I've dehydrated canned soups. They make a good base for trail stews and such and the preservatives gives them a longer shelf life. Salsa dehydrates really well.

Now Rhihn, sour cream? How did you do that? I never thought sour cream would work well...

We didn't think it would work either, but we just decided to experiment. Nothing tricky about it. We put the flat, solid bottom in the tray, similar to spaghetti sauce, fruit roll-ups, etc. I can't remember how long it took (I know we checked the dehydrator quite frequently). It ended up a powder, and rehydrated quite nicely for beef stroganoff.

Sour Cream & Beef Stroganoff

I have prepared a very large batch of beef stroganoff at home (w/ the leanest ground beef possible.) The recipe had lots of mushrooms, black pepper, red wine, sour cream and some parmesan cheese. It dehydrated very well and became an instant trail favorite.

I think next time I'll try making it with some ground venison which is even leaner. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

I am new at this. This thread timely and usefull! I have several recipes I would like to try. The ingredients call for items like 2 oz. of Freeze Dried vegetables of several varieties.

How does the weight of commercially available freeze dried compare with home dehydrated? What weight of fresh or canned vegetables would I need to start with prior to dehydrating to end up with an equivalent weight to 2 oz Freeze dried?