In need of easy snow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cristobal

Reaction score
I'm having hips surgery next month:(, so I'm not likely to bag many 4,000's this winter. Nonetheless, I must get my snow fix, and my wife and my faithful adventure dog love snow even more than I do. Any suggestions for short, smooth walks in New England where I might still get a good dose of the white stuff? I'll probably need to start out on walks of two miles or less.
I did look over the recent thread about beginner winter hiking, but I'd appreciate any advice for especially easy trails.
Thanks

Greeley Ponds trail is nice and flat, and you can turn back whenever you want. And of course Lincoln Woods trail is always nice (if a tad boring, but still scenic). Take Lincoln Woods to Osseo to get off the beaten track a bit. And of course turn around way before you get to the ladders. Hancock trail a couple miles in and back. I think there are so many "flat" approach trails to 4,000 footers that would be good to do, just turning back after you have done as many miles as is safe for your hips. And most of these approaches are high enough elevation that there would be good snow. Have fun, and be careful!

--Carla

Unplowed roads should give you the easiest going.

Tripoli Road from off I-93 has a steepish start, then a flatter section. From Waterville Valley it climbs more steadily, though never steeply.

Another of my favorites is Hubbard Brook Road, a bit steeper (about 600 feet over first 1½ miles).

Tripoli Road from off I-93 has a steepish start, then a flatter section. From Waterville Valley it climbs more steadily, though never steeply.
Don't forget it is groomed for skiing from the gate near Osceola to Depot Camp/Livermore Road. Since it is National Forest access, you don't need a pass, but it won't be unbroken either.

Tim

Zealand Rd all the way to the Thoreau Falls, Shoal Pond, or Ethan Pond are all really flat and would be quite smooth. Just need snow...

Don't forget it is groomed for skiing from the gate near Osceola to Depot Camp/Livermore Road. Since it is National Forest access, you don't need a pass, but it won't be unbroken either.

Tim

Does this apply to Livermore Rd too?

Last edited:
Tim is writing about the upper end of Tripoli Road.

The lower end is used by snowmobilers, so it is packed by them. Lots of unpacked snow on the sides of the road.

Hubbard Brook Road is used by the Forest Service snowmobiles, but has almost no other snowmobile traffic (no suitable parking). Lots of locals ski or snowshoe on it.

Tunnel Boork Trail,from Glencliff up to the beaver ponds is a beautiful walk in any season, about 4 miles each way if I remember right. It's also nice going in from the north end, though I'm not sure how long it is post-Irene. Anybody?

The bike path and variations combined with the Pemi Trail through Franconia notch is quite nice. Easy access to all the sites and your surrounded by beautifull mountains. You can visit the Basin, Flume Gorge and there is always animals to see.

Where ever you go, its best to avoid snowmobile routes which cuts out many potentially popular areas. Although many are multiuse trails there is a practical incompatibility between sleds that are capable of 100 MPH bursts that are incapable of stopping quickly and pedestrians. WMNF approach trails tend to be good choices as there are few groomed snowmobile routes that coincide with hiking trails. The bikepath through Franconia Notch is a great example of a spot to avoid (despite having to walk on it to access Liberty). If you do elect to walk popular snowmobile routes wear orange and practice being able to step off trail quickly.

Good luck with the surgery. I hope you recover quickly and get back out on the trails.

The Flume in winter is a great walk, a couple of miles around the loop.

When I had my knee replacement, we went around the day before the surgery, and it was also the first "hike" I did after surgery.

Best of luck!

Speaking of the Flume, is there a trail map of this area available? I know it's not an incredibly complicated area, but they carefully remove all the signs when they close the visitor center... and the trails I remember walking last winter don't seem to really line up with what I see on the Topos.

Speaking of the Flume, is there a trail map of this area available? I know it's not an incredibly complicated area, but they carefully remove all the signs when they close the visitor center... and the trails I remember walking last winter don't seem to really line up with what I see on the Topos.

The AMC WMGO has a map of this area. Id post it if it is kosher (it is copyrighted material). Its basically one loop trail with a spur of the old Flume Slide trail at the top of the flume gorge still labeled as the Ridge path with a gate at the spur. (good luck following that, hasn't been used in decades upon decades). There is a split just before the top of the gorge coming clockwise to bypass the gorge. I Didn't notice it last winter since the gorge was frozen up nicely. If its ok with mods ill throw a screenshot up to see if it helps you.

Thanks so much for all the tips, and for the well wishes. Looking forward to trying some of these hikes and glad I won't have to miss all the snow this year.