Incomming Weather FYI

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kayak compliments!.

BTW, good weekend to check out Giant Falls in Shelburne, and what was once the biggest tourist attraction in the northern whites (and is basically forgotten about these days) - Alpine Cascades in Gorham (think of the flume without boardwalks). The Frye Brook trail off the south arm road in Andover is also worth a visit.

elk lake blowdown

I did get over that way after the blowdown event and it was a mess but it is only a natural process that has occured time and time again. I just figure that if we are going to get hit by tropical systems we might as well reap some reward dont you think

Re: new slides maybe?

Mike Hartigan said:
I seem to remember that Floyd and Hugo both caused extensive slide activity. Sounds sick but I hope both these new systems hammer us. We need all the new ski terrain we can get. Of course hoping that no one is in the way when it happens.

I was thinking the exact same thing today, the sickness is spreading!! lol

Zac, it's a 50/50 shot right now for your hike. Just promise you won't go if there's a good chance of foul weather (maybe lounge at Starbucks in Cambridge MA or something instead :p ).

Re: Re: new slides maybe?

stoopid said:

I was thinking the exact same thing today, the sickness is spreading!! lol

Zac, it's a 50/50 shot right now for your hike. Just promise you won't go if there's a good chance of foul weather (maybe lounge at Starbucks in Cambridge MA or something instead :p ).

Well I'll be in Baxter regardless of weather. But I'm not sure if I'll be sitting in the lean-to or hiking across the Knifes Edge. Only time will tell.

I feel like a complete and utter whimp for listening to the weather reports and canceling my Presi trip, which was supposed to start today. So, here I am using my last vacation day at home sitting by the computer. Ugh.

I hate the weather!

Ok, end of rant!

- Ivy

another storm...

Headed up 91 North this weekend?
You'll meet up with a completely different storm.

Phish's last concert covers both days of this weekend, so avoid the Northeast Kingdom if you want to avoid traffic.

-Blue (who loves hurricane season and the Weather Channel and NOAA)

Peakbagger-nicely done ride! I don't have the time or the patience for a "stick" boat. Love my NDK Explorer,and a Pintail is on my wish list.
All you trailies with kayaks...I see a "Coastal Maine VFTT Kayak Expedition" in the future. Any interest?
Check out this trip.http://www.vetle-kroken.com/mountrip.htm
I was supposed to go this year,but it's on hold for a while.

Weather Wimps

Well, I suppose I should admit that my daughter and I have decided to bag our planned Rt. 201 to Rt. 27 piece of the Maine AT this weekend and early next week. I don't mind ferrying across a raging Kennebec, but the idea of crossing the Bigelows in a hurricane, or even a decent thunderstorm, doesn't appeal to us. :(

We'll try to squeeze in a piece of it as a day hike (looks as if Saturday is most likely) if the storms cooperate.

(Gotta get a new avatar!) :confused:

KayakDan-

There is a semi-covert VFTT kayak klan. That said, I'd be interested in any such activities.

If there's no small craft warning I'll be taking my new kayak out for the first time on the Great South Bay tomorrow. Even considering hitting a lake or two during the upcoming ADK gathering.

peakbagger-

A boat like yours is high on my list of what to do when I have a garage or basement. Nice.

Look for a thread asking for recommendations on instructors for kayaking soon at a board near you...

whoops, I posted this under TRIPS, but today BSP closed many trails including the Chimney Pond trail.

With the predicted 100% chance of rain tonight, heavy at times, I imagine it will be closed tomorrow as well.

Well, I searched hard and long and found a promising forecast for tomorrow!

If things don't look too bad when I get there I'll be having a go at TF&W. If things change for the worse it might just be T&F or even just T! If the heavens open up big time I'll probably just revisit the Basin and Cascade Brook.

Here's hoping :)

Bob

Well, yesterday was torrential rain, and tomorrow is supposed to be torrential rain with 40-70mph winds (and that's the valleys, not the summits). So I cancelled my trip.

I'm now looking outside at a clear blue sky, however, and wishing I'd planned a day hike in its stead.
:(

Guess I should go enjoy some shopping on this tax-free day in Massachusetts...

Don't worry Michael J,

You'll be so glad that you waited for a BEAUTIFUL day to do your
N Presi hike! The VFTT is your reward!

The view from Adams & Madison is SO awe-inspiring & breathtaking, that you'll want only the BEST day in which to experience it!

I'm sure that you already have your itinerary planned, but when you climb Adams, consider taking the Star Lake Trail.
It goes from Madison Hut to Adam's summit, it's just the coolest thing to be ascending & all the while looking back on Star Lake & the hut getting 'smaller & smaller' ! Loved That!!

On the summits, there you are looking down over the massive expanse of the Great Gulf toward Washington, with the twisting, winding Auto Road shimmering like a ribbon against its side ! Unforgettable!!

A whole different perspective to be looking south toward the rest of the Presi's!

Out of all the 4K's that I've completed (44) , I have to say that this was one of my personal favorites!

Have Fun!! & Enjoy every momemt!!

Thanks, Pocahontas! If I do them as a day trip, that's the route I'll take. It's probable, though, that I'll end up doing my original trip - Lowes up to Crag Camp, drop pack, run up to Adams & back, sleep, next day up Madison and all the way back down.

It all depends - I don't like being behind schedule and things get really tight in September. That said, I'm really enjoying being massively obsessive about this.
:D

Now where's that rain?!?!?

The trip you have planned sounds great. Good Luck!
I hope the weather holds out for you!

I can relate to what you said about the hiking schedule getting tight!
We've planned 3 backpacking trips this summer, to try to do the Bonds on the Best One.
The weather hasn't been great on 2 of them, so now we're relying on 1 more (which'll be the last weekend in Aug) for the Bonds (#'s 45-47).

Fingers are crossed, prayers are being said--- our last chance to do it in 2 days, >>>otherwise we may just have to do the traverse~
(really hate to 'race' thru that beautiful area, but now we're @ the point of just wanting to complete 48 w/ Carrigain as the Grand Finale'!

But you know what??~~These are defintaely areas that we'll be sure to revisit because of their awesome beauty!
SO, even if the weather isn't "ideal".... we'll be there!

How many is this for you?

What will your 'Grand Finale' be??
Very Best of luck to you too!
!

Last edited:
I managed to get my hike with my little one in yesterday. Paige and I enjoyed a partly cloudy day hiking on Monadnock. Finally did the Old Ski Path. Gilson Pond looks so earie without any water in it.

Paige and I finished the hike sharing a good sundae at Kimbly's:)

Hurricanes? What hurricanes?

Well yesterday was nice, but we mostly expected that. I did see a few other people on Cardigan.

But even I was writing off today when I went to bed in the Shapleigh bunkhouse in Crawford Notch last night. But, wonderful to relate, it all changed overnight, and the Mt. Wash Obs said the north country would go untouched by Charley. I drove to Livermore and headed out to North Slide. I was slapping on sunscreen by Middle Tripyramid. I saw exactly two other hikers (on the north peak). Occasionally I'd stop and just listen. Often it was dead silent, no birds, no bugs and no WIND!

Go figure.