Info on Algonquin Provincial Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
Hi-

I have an annual trip to Ontario and am considering adding a short backpack in Algonquin to that trip since its somewhat within reach.

Anybody backpacked there before- interested in a 2 nighter at most due to timing- this is a fishing trip first. Buying the map and guidebook today, fyi.

thanks in advance.

Wish I could help you. My only experience there was that my (now ex-) wife and I drove through it early one morning back in June 1990. Saw a deer and a bear along the road. Only place I’ve seen a bear in the wild, so far. The black flies were so bad I was barely able to take a photograph while standing outside the car.

We stayed some place just outside the park to the west, then drove through the park and all the way back home — Groton, Massachusetts, in those days — by evening.

Thanks all. I am going to consider aone or two night canoe and do more fishing there. And Prino, thanks for the excellent map.

Not a huge fan of paddling in parks, but a classic Algonquin PP canoe trip is to start on Canoe Lake and do a big loop through Tom Thomson, McIntosh and Big Trout Lakes via the Little Oxtongue and Petawawa Rivers as well as various other streams and short portages. Nice trip in the off-season.

Be forewarned though, Algonquin used to have some world class racoons!

Algonquin Park 2 day canoe/fishing trip idea

Two days for an Algonquin trip is a little short to get into the back areas where the fishing is good. One possibility is to go in at access point #3 Magnetawan Lake and do an in and back to Little Trout Lake. You get away from the crowds on Hwy 60 and the wildlife and fishing should be good. It also keeps you away from the bigger lakes with potential windy conditions.

I have not used this access in a few years but it does provide quick access to the back section. I remember that the parking at the put-in held only about 10 to 20 cars.

I grew up just outside the park and try to make it back there once a year.

34 years ago, FWTW
Dads drove me, my brother and friend up there to paddle Opiongo, one of the larger more accessible lakes, in early August. We drove from Watertown, which is probably the closest US "City", but I remember it was a fairly long haul.

First night, a bear raided our (clothesline-height) food cache, but left plenty behind. I say bear because raccoons do not deeply indent metal food cans.

We paddled 2 days to a place - aptly named Windy Point - where warm, humid, gale-force winds kept us for about 3 days. It was open, but seemed remote and not unpleasant; we saw few other boats. But nowhere near far enough north to hear wolves, as I had hoped to do.

My rambling 2 cents.

MR

If you are coming from New Hampshire the westside of the park would be easier to get to. Cross the border either at Wesley Island or Ogdenesburgh. A good two night trip would be to start at Squirrel Rapids and paddle down through the Barron River Canyon. From there you can day trip over to High Falls which is a natural water slide. ( Here is a good trip log from this area of the park http://www.canoestories.com/barron1f.htm ) One problem you may have is getting a site. The park requires reservation for each night for the specific lake you are staying on. The lakes close to the access points fill up fast ( http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/index.html ) The site for all things Algonquin is here: http://www.algonquinadventures.com/