Internal temperature inside Gray Knob?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom and Maria

Reaction score
What are the conditions in a over night stay at Gray Knob. Will I need my -20 degree sleeping bag...

In July, no.

:)

In March, sure, I'd bring the winter bag. It's likely to stay above freezing in the cabin, but it might not depending on how many people are there and what the temps are like outside.

-dave-

You can expect temps to hover somewhere around freezing, possibly warmer, IF the caretaker is there and the stove is lit. If it is a weekend, and you get a late start, bear in mind that you might be diverted to a different RMC facility. In that case you would need a winter bag (in winter :rolleyes:) If you get an early enough start, plan to reach Gray Knob by mid-day, and are prepared to return to the valley that day if it is full, a 20F bag is fine IMHO.

Please remember to tip the caretaker. Bringing a few hardwood pieces up is also appreciated.

Temperature inside Gray Knob

I'd suggest planning for the worst... bring a -20 bag and expect no heat. If the caretaker is there and it's 40 degrees inside, it will be a bonus.

Caretakers are instructed to not let the temperature rise above 40 (because crazy temperature fluctuations can damage the building over time) and the woodstove is usually locked when the caretaker isn't there.

The caretakers heat to 40 in the evening, but it cools down during the night. I used my -40 (?) bag and had to unzip it, but I would have been cold in my +20 bag. Doing it again, I'd do the same thing.

winter temps

I know that you are probably trying to cut pack-weight, or that you just don't have better winter gear- but you should not under any circumstances go out into the Whites in the middle of the winter without being prepared optimally. You are walking the knife's edge.

Also-any members who take it upon themselves to respond to this thread should know better then to encourge anything less.

I stayed at Grey Knob a few weeks ago on a Sunday night. I was the only guest and I was comfortable in a 15 degree bag. I was told that there were 17 people the night before (including a writer and photog from National Geographic on a 3 day traverse) and it was actually uncomfortably warm from all the bodies.

woodstrider said:
Also-any members who take it upon themselves to respond to this thread should know better then to encourge anything less.
People have many different definitions of what is adequate or optimal preparedness for winter hiking in the Presidentials. I don't believe any one blanket statement can cover all options. I prefer to pack extra gear, but I've also done lightweight trips with less then a full blown winter pack.

-dave-

woodstrider said:
Hmmm... well I think my post qualified what to expect, giving options of what you should be prepared to do if you decide to pack light. I feel my post was appropriate, as were the others. It is the body of posts that shed meaning, not any single post. By combining posters' comments, a better assessment can be made. This forum is to encourage members to provide their experiences and knowledge. YMMV, and I am not assuming anyone else's experience, just stating mine. I don't know Tom and Maria, and it would be presumptuous of me to advise them on what to do.

FWIW, I have stayed at Gray Knob quite a few times in winter and winter conditions. I used a 20F bag in all but one trip: We left at 5:30PM after a deep snowstorm and were not sure we'd make it to the cabin (we didn't, staying at the Log Cabin). On that trip I took a 0F bag and was comfortable (it was late October and got down to ~10F).

woodstrider, I'm just curious, but have you been up to Gray Knob Cabin in winter?

I'd avoid a -20 bag at this time of year. I was there on the last weekend of winter last year but having planned on staying at Crag Camp, I bought my -20 bag. We then ran into the Gray Knob caretaker, who we knew from a previous trip, and he encouraged us to stay at Gray Knob. It was below 40 so he fired up the woodstove that evening and it must have been 50 or 60 degrees in the sleeping loft. I had to sleep on top of one of the mattresses with the sleeping bag on top of me and even then I was hot. I'd bring a zero or 20 bag but ensure you've got lots of layers (perhaps even more than you'd normally bring) if you end up getting diverted to Crag Camp which is a lot colder.