Irene Storm Track

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to WCAX-TV's page, as of 7 AM this morning the bridge was still standing but heavily damaged.
In the photos it looks like the siding is gone but the structural members survived although they may need repair

When I read it first, I thought they meant the Rte.4 bridge at the gorge - that would be some flood!

In the photos it looks like the siding is gone but the structural members survived although they may need repair

When I read it first, I thought they meant the Rte.4 bridge at the gorge - that would be some flood!

The Quechee covered bridge is standing, barely. But the road approaches on either side are completely washed out. The bridge itself looks like a skeleton. Simon Pearce and the adjacent building suffered significant damage.

The Route 4 bridge over the gorge was closed for a time. Floodwater picked up dozens of large propane tanks in Woodstock, and they were apparently collecting in the gorge, prompting the closure.

Route 4 just west of Woodstock, b/t the downtown and the high school, is washed out completely. That won't be open for a long while. If you enjoyed the White Cottage or the Farmers Market in the past, sorry, but you won't again (at least for a while).

On a lighter note, I can report with reasonable authority that the Lake George Indoor Water Park sustained NO structural damage. Will be conducting a close inspection of the rides at Six Flags/Great Escape tomorrow. :p

Blair bridge in Campton, NH.

014.jpg

I'm very thankful the Blair Bridge made it, freakin' love that bridge! This pic gives a sense of normal summertime flow, the river came up a lot to put a tree through the bridge!

Last edited:
I was along the White River in the Quechee/Pomfret area today (for work). I am dumbfounded at how high the water got, and how high it still was this afternoon. I've never seen anything like it. My brother's wedding reception was supposed to be at Simon Pearce this Sunday. We got the word today that that won't happen.

Small potatoes to what some people are dealing with right now.....

"Vermont is a state I love. I could not look upon the peaks of Ascutney, Killington, Mansfield, and Equinox, without being moved in a way that no other scene could move me. It was here that I first saw the light of day; here I received my bride, here my dead lie pillowed on the loving breast of our eternal hills.

I love Vermont because of her hills and valleys, her scenery and invigorating climate, but most of all because of her indomitable people. They are a race of pioneers who have almost beggared themselves to serve others. If the spirit of liberty should vanish in other parts of the Union, and support of our institutions should languish, it could all be replenished from the generous store held by the people of this brave little state of Vermont."

An excerpt from President Calvin Coolidge's speech to the state of Vermont, after the devastating floods of 1927

I'm guessing it is a legal definition. In other words, we warned you to stay out. If you go, and get hurt, it's YOUR OWN FAULT!
Closure orders usually cite the legal basis and the penalty. From the "I can't walk too far out my back door" order:
Any violation of these regulations is punishable as a Class B misdemeanor, by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months or both. Title 16 USC 551, and Title 18 USC 3559 and 3571
I'm guessing they spend a little more effort patrolling for fire closures than for washing-away. Hope everybody dries out okay.