Is it just me?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I look at my orginal post, I don't want you all to think I am a gear/trail snob. It sure does sound that way. I am involved in training people to monitor trails in the midatlantic I have hiked with people from all backgrounds and types of gear. I just had come across a few people on Saturday that struck me funny. I think people, especially myself are pretty fun at times. No harm intended.

Just Bein' Practical . . .

Over the last three weekends I have spent two Friday nights and one Saturday afternoon standing in wind and rain, photographing high school and college football games, and another Saturday morning in high winds and cold shooting a high school cross country running meet. Such is the lot of he or she who does photo assignments for local daily newspapers in this season. Tricked out in a decent EMS Gore-Tex shell parka with appropriate layers of wool and fleece stuff underneath, my well waterproofed hiking boots, and selected accessories from my hiking gear collection, I tackled the jobs (no pun intended, of course) fearlessly.

Some folks may have thought me -- a short fat guy -- to be a pretender, clad in all that hikin’ stuff. But so be it. I walked the sidelines and the race course in relative comfort, and got the pictures I was sent after.

As it turns out, a lot of my hiking wardrobe is just the right stuff for many of the photo assignments I get called to do. My Limmers are the most comfortable footwear I own, period, and are perfect for jobs that will have me on my feet for long hours. They also are pretty good in the press of a crowd, for other reasons I needn't divulge here (use your imagination).

Sometimes I go shopping for groceries on my way home from a job. Sometimes I go shopping for groceries on the way home from a hike. Should you spot me and move in a little closer, you probably could tell which it is by the fragrances I emit.

G.

gear girl

i've been know to sleep in my fleece! ;)
and , it's a must for shopping at price chopper in the 20 mall - it's frelling cold in there! :eek:

Anyone remember the Seinfeld episode where George wears his puffy outdoor jacket the whole episode. When question about it, he would reply,
"It's Gortex you know!". Always found that amusing.

What other people wear don't wear has nothing to do with me. Unless of course they are wearing something cooler than me. ;)

Peace.

Heck, living up here in the North Maine Woods, just getting to work in the winter is an adventure :p 50 miles, nobody but me on the interstate. I carry full winter gear, and my MSR XGK in the trunk. Then there's the 1/3 mile walk from the parking lot to the ER entrance. Need Gore-tex and Beanie boots, maybe some snowshoes and skipoles when it really gets deep.

Here's the real catcher though: I have one of the longest commutes to work, and I've only missed two days due to weather in the last 9 years :)
I suppose I could use that as an incentive to buy more gear, I need to be able to get to work :rolleyes:

In a related story, I received an REI catalog in the mail yesterday. One of the headlines on the pages (I'm paraphrasing here) was "Get the gear that's hot!" UGH!
Yes, I need the hottest gear, so I'm stylin' out on the trail! I wouldn't want to be seen in last year's soft shell. Oh, the horror! Kill me.

I am also sometimes seen wearing my hiking clothes around town, but not too often...because they are stinky!

On a related note, have you ever wondered why no one ever uses a hip belt when carrying 60 pounds of books? I once asked a female student why she didn’t place the weight on her hips rather than straining her shoulders, and she couldn’t give me an answer. To prove my point, I adjusted her hip belt and pack to take the weight off of her shoulders and although she agreed it was infinitely more comfortable, two hours later I saw her once again without the hip belt. Those of you who have children, would you please explain this to me.

MadRiver said:
On a related note, have you ever wondered why no one ever uses a hip belt when carrying 60 pounds of books? I once asked a female student why she didn’t place the weight on her hips rather than straining her shoulders, and she couldn’t give me an answer. To prove my point, I adjusted her hip belt and pack to take the weight off of her shoulders and although she agreed it was infinitely more comfortable, two hours later I saw her once again without the hip belt. Those of you who have children, would you please explain this to me.

Our daughter, Prima Donna Grumpy, was an easy-to-raise child in most respects. But she taught me that with the younger on-campus set (high school and college) fashion trumps function in almost every game. The absolute worst thing is to look nerdy even though it is perfectly acceptable to dress, appear and act like you are stupid as a box of rocks.

That probably explains nothing. But I feel better having posted it. :p

G.

Last edited:
Working in academia, I see it all. The latest fad is wearing 6 inch stiletto heels with sweat pants or whatever. One student that I see on a regular basis is always limping around in pain. When she takes her shoes off, her feet are nothing more than open wounds. I’m sure the local podiatrists are making a killing.

I'm as fashion-unconscious as the next guy. If I wear hiking gear while not on the trail, it's for purely functional reasons. An hour in a museum is murder on my feet if I'm not wearing my boots. The Gortex jacket is perfect for traveling light. In Italy last year it was unseasonably warm, and I kicked myself for not bringing hiking shorts or zip-leg pants. A compass in a strange city can be a real help.

I have friends and family that dress the part of the outdoorsy hiker type. Funny, when I invite them to test out their clothes with me in the winter, they never seem to take me up on it... I am sure you all have seen the 'are you crazy' smirk that accompanies declining an opportunity to visit the mountains in the winter. Whatever... I guess we as Americans are pretty shallow as a whole... :( :rolleyes:

GO NADINE!
My commute to work is 50 miles also. I take all the back roads in inclement winter weather because I have found the Interstates more lethal than Huntington Ravine. Some folks drive nuts and fast so I pack all my gear, put glacier grips on all four wheels of the 4WD truck and go for it.
Some of my fondest memories have been coming home in raging blizzards, alone on rural roads at night, trees so heavy laden with snow that branches were smashing on my windshield, and feeling secure that I could spend days out there and survive! My longest commute was 4hrs home in a whiteout.
Wearing my gear also reminds me of all the happy times and all that I have to look forward to. By wearing it daily, I can also fine tune it before hitting the trail again should a problem arise.
I even keep gator aid and power bars deep in the minus 30 bag so they don't freeze.
I envy you living in Northern Maine. It would be an even bigger challenge.
Got to go. The winter tent is in at REI. Nice sale. Saved $100 on the Sierra Design Hercules AST. (Two person.) :D :D :D

Maddy said:
GO NADINE!
Some of my fondest memories have been coming home in raging blizzards, alone on rural roads at night, trees so heavy laden with snow that branches were smashing on my windshield, and feeling secure that I could spend days out there and survive!
I agree - It is a nice feeling of security knowing that wherever I go in the winter, I have a small stove, fuel & pot as well as some hot chocolate and soup along with my old -25 bag and a sleeping pad tucked safely in the back of my truck!!!