Is Tripoli Rd from Waterville Valley Still Open?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just called the Forrest Service, and they told me that Tripoli Road was still open (and so is Sawyer River Road, which is why I called). I also inquired as to why their website still shows the latest road closure page as last being updated on Oct 17th. The woman told me that it was last updated yesterday, and that I should hit refresh, which I did several times and it still didn't work. She also logged in and couldn't view the latest updates either. She told me that their webmaster had been let go due to budget cuts and they have had problems running the site lately, but she was going to see if someone could get the updates to work. If anyone is unsure of a road status, just give the FS a call at 603-528-8721

We're heading up there tomorrow too! We're planning on going up to Osceola by way of the Kanc. I hope this will be okay..... :)

Dr Wu and I were on that part of the road last Sunday. It was glazed like a doughnut, so I wouldn't recommend going past the Osceola parking lot. 4WD with studded tires might be ok, otherwise bring your ice skates :eek:

Frodo, thanks much for very valuable info. I'm planning on hiking Mt Carrigain, so I was going to check that site for road status. I'll report back tonight.

Tripoli Rd not glazed anymore...

Barbarossa said:
Dr Wu and I were on that part of the road last Sunday. It was glazed like a doughnut, so I wouldn't recommend going past the Osceola parking lot. 4WD with studded tires might be ok, otherwise bring your ice skates :eek:

I'm happy to report that, as of today, the road is perfectly driveable for any vehicle. Not sure how much longer it'll be left open though...

The way that page is made, the section with the table of road closures is dynamically generated, while the portion with the November date is boilerplate, just a wrapper. That date has no bearing whatsoever on the road closure information - it's the last time the USFS standard page data was updated.

Two people came up to Osceola from the Tripoli Road today (Sunday). They went in from Waterville Valley and said the road was fine. The trail, though, was another story: three big ice flows and lots of blowdowns--just like the Kanc side! :eek:

Mad Townie said:
Two people came up to Osceola from the Tripoli Road today (Sunday). They went in from Waterville Valley and said the road was fine. The trail, though, was another story: three big ice flows and lots of blowdowns--just like the Kanc side! :eek:

Want to see the ice? See: www.nh48.com/osceola - photos from Saturday. Enjoy!