Isolation Bushwhack on 3/12 Ms. Brown's #48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildPeaks

Reaction score
We are heading back to complete what we started back on Feb. 12th. It was just after that big storm filled the Whites back up again w/ 2-3 feet of snow. Trail breaking was very slow going and bushwhacking was, well :eek: So we decided to head back & save it for another time. Soooo close. This time we shall celebrate Ms. Brown's #48! It's always a great time, so please feel free to come & join us, (Julie, Magic, Ms. Brown, Dave, Pucknuts, Sky & Myself) this Sat. Unfortunately Creek Critter can't make this one & will be missed. We'll be starting out @ 8:30, from the Rocky Branch trailhead. So.....................

If the weather outlook is correct, you might be dealing again with 1 or 2' of snow!

-Dr. Wu

So I'm hearing. Oh well, just means more time to have fun out there!

Tom

Flash!!! TRAIL BREAKERS WANTED!
No experience necessary. Will train. Low pay, but great benefits.

Bushwack

Which route will you follow? The one that has been previously described in the Trail Conditions section, hitting the Davis Path just north of the Isolation summit? Or...???

So a little more winter snow!

We're going via the traditional bushwhack this time, from the height of land 3k' beside Engine Hill and the North side of the brook to Davis Path. There is about a 3" of new snow falling over the next day and maybe the same amount on Friday (if you believe the forecasters). This will be way less than the 3' of snow we broke trail in last month. Plus to our advantage, we will have Strider, who is heading nobo soon from Springer Mtn, along with Sonic Boom, who'll plow through the snow effortlessly. There are 2 others planning to join the hike that will add to the fun.

It is Saturday yet?!

I'm also considering this one but we'll have to see how things go this week.

-Wu

This site predicts up to 3" today and the forecast for Friday/Saturday:

.FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE AFTERNOON. NOT AS COOL WITH HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. CHANCE OF SNOW 30 PERCENT.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW. NOT AS COLD WITH LOWS IN THE MID 20S.
.SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS. LOWS AROUND 20.

I'm bringing a snowblower just to make sure we make it this time. ;)

Can't wait to break my new Tubbs in, and I like the idea of trying the traditional bushwhack. Hopefully we'll be able to follow the trail the AMC broke last week, if it's still there.

Just a head's up. We attempted Isolation last Sat and had to retreat. We broke it out up to the shelter easily. Ran into the AMC Worcester group. The trail from the shelter had not been broke out, the bushwack couldn't be seen at all. We opted for the surer long trek on the trail. We followed faint marks from previous hikers until that ran out. We managed to cross the river fine and found the arrow signs at the crossings. After we crossed the last river crossing we lost the trail. Didn't see any markers til we came across some orange mesh ones??? Not sure what those are, does anyone? We followed them and soon lost all tracks. The wind had blown snow and we were breaking trail in thigh high snow in lots of places and fell into a few spruce traps...... We turned around after knowing we had gone too far and missed the left that we needed to find.

The other group attempted the bushwack with a GPS and were also breaking trail in deep snow, they didn't make it to the top either. They did get closer.
I just don't want any hiker to follow our trail and go too far off track.

What kind of marks are on this trail? Why isn't it marked better? We were very dissapointed after getting so far and feeling we made the safer decision and still had to turn back. Did we totally miss the marks??

Good luck and I wish we could join you for this weekend but we're otherwise committed. We were aiming for another attempt in 2 weeks.

I will thank you totally if you break it out!!!! :)

We saw some faint orange spray paint on the trees. We followed the original axe blazed trail and bushwhached straight across Rocky Branch and up the Mtn to Davis in 3' of snow. We're doing the traditional bushwhack Saturday as stated above. It is expected to be very challanging.

Now if only Pucknuts will bring that snowblower!

It's Paula 48th also! I was trying to come up with a place that won't be jambed. The Mooseland is on the way home, however w/the locals and the skimobilers, the place could be packed. There's alway's Fabyans or even tons of places in N Conway or Gorham.

What's your ideas? Please share them!

Thanks for the heads up Darl58. The way it looks outside right now, I don't think any tracks will be visible.

Skimom, Sounds good to me. There's a pizza place in the EMS building in N. Conway. Sweetbreads??? But being Sat. night...........

Thoughts anyone?

Might be nice to stay out of North Conway proper.

Red Parka Pub in Bartlett
or Margarita Grill in Glen (they are almost across the street from each other at the intersection of 302 & 16 might be a good place.

Arm is also finishing his winter 48 on Saturday. That makes 3 of us. We're going have to join groups and celebrate for sure. I'll go anywhere there is great non-commercial beers. With those great choices I'll go to either the Red Parka in the Pub or Margarita (Reminds me of the place in the Keys!) Grill. So it's narrowed down. What choice do you have?

Still snowing steadily here w/about 6" piling up. Nah, we won't see tracks/foot prints, we'll see depressions. Almost like a month ago, though w/considerably less snow!

I read in Outdoors Chapter Activities that Kevin, Brutus, et al are going to Isolation next Wednesday. Trail should be nice and broken out for your group!

(Edit: That may have been Ed H.)

Red Parka is packed on Saturday nights too. It's probably going to be like that no matter where we go. I'll go where ever the party is. So let's just go celebrate!!

Congratulations in advance to you Skimom! I'll be with the Isolation group on round two. This time it should be a breeze with all those strong legged hikers to break trail. And if all else fails, we can always use Bill's snowblower...

The Red Parka will not be that busy on Saturday night, the valley hotels are DEADSVILLE. (You could probably go to Horsefeathers and be there nearly alone Saturday, NOT that I am suggesting that.) The Parka is fun, and has microbrews, and you can throw the peanut shells on the floor, or at each other... And not be asked to leave. Hoping to meet everyone Sat at 8:30am. If my yard is any indication of the weather, there will be really big drifts everywhere, and lots of limbs down. WOW the wind was incredible, no power from 10pm to 6am, so I got to listen to it all night. WHOO HOOW, I would not have wanted to be in a tent last night. Hope anyone who was is okay.

Meet 8:15, leave by 8:30. Judging by my dooryard lots of drifts in the Whites w/an average of a foot out there. Still better than 2-3.' Id bet a microbrew or 2 that Sonicboom will enjoy 'shoeing so much that he'll be on the summit waiting for us!

I'll go where ever the party is. So let's just go celebrate!!

I agree 100%. Anyone know how busy the Red Parka is on a winter Saturday night? Do we care?!

Bushwhack Warning!

To all for the 3/12 Bushwhack up to Isolation:

Rox and I attempted this in a snow storm last Sunday. From the shelter we headed north about a half mile then up the slope following magnetic 300'. Turned out to be a straight up shot to the summit of what we believe to be Mt. Davis, not sure since the conditions greatly limited visibility. What we do know from previous pictures taken from the summit of Isloation is that we were not there!

The caution is that you do NOT want to follow our tracks thinking it will get you home. With that said, I would VERY interested in finally bagging this one. And you are correct, with the new snow it will be alot of work! Saturday, 8:30 at Rocky Branch. Can I assume you will update the VFTT site if this changes?

Clark

hard work pays.

Last month, we bushwhacked straight across the Rocky Branch Trail at a bearing of 310* up to the col between Davis and Isolation. With the snow deepth and it being after 3:30, we decided to turn back. We have another, even larger group this time to take turns breakin' trail in case Sonicboom needs a few breaks. He's quite the hiker as you'll discover.

Saturday, Rocky Branch lot, meet by 8:15, hit the trail by 8:30.

Looks like there's a triple 48 FTFC celebration afterwards at the Red Parka in the Pub. All are certainly most welcome to join the fun!

Clark,

We should be good on the path to the top. I think it's fare to say your tracks are gone after last night. Feel free to join us.
Yes, if anything changes, we'll do our best to post any info here.