Isolation route question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Reaction score
Hello,

We were thinking of taking either Rocky Branch or Glen Boulder up to Isolation yet we are trying to save on driving time from Bethlehem, NH. If we hike up the Ammonoosuc Ravine to the Davis Path - will this be a shorter day overall? I have hiked the Ammo many times before, I know the elevation gain - but I'm not familiar with the section between Lakes and Isolation.

Is this the best way to go given shortened daylight?

Thanks - Liza

Liza,
When I did a Presi Traverse last year I included Isolation. The walk from Lakes over to Boott Spur and then down the Davis Path was beautiful. Here is a photo loking south from the Glen Boulder - Davis Path junction to give you an idea. Enjoy.

JohnL

Ooops, sorry I forgot to answer your other question. It is 4.7 miles from Lakes to Isolation and the terrain is all gradual with good footing so you can cruise over and back. It is certainly going to be a more aesthetic trip going up Ammo. It will save you nearly a couple hours of driving time so I'd go for it.

Last edited:
I did Isolation via Ammo Ravine. Added Monroe on the way up. 17 mi and 5700 vert ft total. Camel Trail over to Davis Path is fine. Only stream crossings are on Ammo Ravine and no mud from Lakes onward. The view from Boott Spur is a nice bonus. Just pick a good day for above T-line travel.

I did a good bit of lower Ammo Ravine in the dark--no problem.

If you really feel energetic, you can add Washington on the way back...

Doug

Thanks for your suggestions (and a great picture!)

I'm thinking Washington will be a zoo tomorrow, when we plan to hike.
Maybe Isolation will be isolated :)

Isolation Saturday, Carrigain Sunday (Charlie's 48th) - the weather couldn't look better!!

Another route to Isolation?

Writing on his www.summitpost.org page for Isolation , Nartreb posits yet another route:
The easiest approach from the West (crossing the ridge of the Southern Presidentials) is probably to take Crawford Path to the Mizpah Cutoff on Mt Pierce, then descend the Dry River Cutoff, turning briefly south on the Dry River Trail to reach the western end of the Isolation Trail. Follow the Isolation Trail east until it joins the Davis Trail, then turn south to Mt Isolation. A bit over six miles one way, at least 3,600 ft elevation gain.​

I wonder if anybody here has tried this. The Crawford path is always lovely, and you can avoid those slippery trails (going down) at the top of the Ammo trail.

whitelief said:
Writing on his www.summitpost.org page for Isolation , Nartreb posits yet another route:
The easiest approach from the West (crossing the ridge of the Southern Presidentials) is probably to take Crawford Path to the Mizpah Cutoff on Mt Pierce, then descend the Dry River Cutoff, turning briefly south on the Dry River Trail to reach the western end of the Isolation Trail. Follow the Isolation Trail east until it joins the Davis Trail, then turn south to Mt Isolation. A bit over six miles one way, at least 3,600 ft elevation gain.​

I wonder if anybody here has tried this. The Crawford path is always lovely, and you can avoid those slippery trails (going down) at the top of the Ammo trail.
Have not done this route but have done Isolation from US302 via the Davis Path. After the first few miles you have the place to yourself, except when you hit Isolation. Also allows you to climb Mt Davis, which has great views (better than Isolation) and visited only occasionally.

whitelief said:

Haven't done it myself.

Both this route and the Ammo route require substantial climbs on the way back. And crossing the Dry River can be serious--there have been deaths. There was a recent TR involving hiking up Isolation Tr from the Dry River--sounds like the trail could use some maintenence. (Tried Isolation via the DRT in winter a few years ago--ran out of time on the Iso Tr.)

Either route will probably work if conditions permit.

Doug

whitelief said:
Kevin, how long did that round trip take? It looks like you have a nice steep stretch on the way home around Mt. Stairs and Mt Resolution.
It was several years ago, so my memory is a bit hazy. I do remember starting fairly early - about 7AM. At the time that section of the Davis Path was difficult to follow but has since been brushed out. So, at times I had to go rather slowly, and decided to head out via Isolation/Rocky Branch and hitch a ride back to my car rather than risk route-finding at dusk. I was back to my car about 7PM (it was July) if that helps.

I think now that the trail's easier to follow it would be a fairly straight-forward out and back, especially with an early start and allow for side trip to Davis.

Rocky Brach from Jericho Road.....all easy walking except for that last real short pitch of the Isolation spur off the Davis Path (which has to get done no matter WHAT route you take.) BEAUTIFUL valley walk, and if you are a fast mover its probably quicker than the "traditional" Rocky Branch Route. We did it in about 8 3/4 hours, and we are not that fast to begin with. Plus, if you are coming from the South, its a shorter drive to the trailhead (bonus!). The four water crossings are the only real issue, and this time of year there should be absolutely no problem at all.

B.

"Posits" is exactly right, I haven't test-hiked it myself. I considered it "easiest from the West" because it should be gentle and sheltered all the way, with similar or less elevation gain than the other options. I assumed that at that northern point the Dry River is not large enough for crossing to be a problem - anybody have any firsthand experience?

Edit: I found a couple Trail Conditions that mention mud and low branches on this route but say nothing about difficult crossings.

On this weekend, though, I say pack wind pants and go for treeline. The Ammo route sounds very tempting - you'd stay above treeline a long time. Only disadvantage I see is that it might be a little crowded until you get past the LOTC.

PS another vote here for a side trip to Davis - it's not far from Isolation and the views are excellent.

Last edited:
nartreb said:
I assumed that at that northern point the Dry River is not large enough for crossing to be a problem - anybody have any firsthand experience?
There have been drownings at one or both of the crossings. The Dry River has a fairly small basin and can rise and fall fairly rapidly. Based upon the time of year and recent and predicted weather, the crossing is likely to be ok.

Doug

whitelief said:

I've done the stretch between Mizpah Hut and Isolation in both directions but on separate trips (in 1989 and 1994 however so I make no guarantees about trail conditions). Both times were part of a multi-day traverse; I agree that it might be an awful lot of up and down for a day trip.
I found the Dry River crossing to be challenging and wouldn't count on it being doable in high water. The western branch of the Isolation Trail didn't appear to be getting much traffic or maintenance - it was muddy in places and had several blowdowns. It's definitely the more isolated way to do the peak.

Isolation Trail

Eric Savage said:
I've done the stretch between Mizpah Hut and Isolation in both directions but on separate trips (in 1989 and 1994 however so I make no guarantees about trail conditions). Both times were part of a multi-day traverse; I agree that it might be an awful lot of up and down for a day trip.
I found the Dry River crossing to be challenging and wouldn't count on it being doable in high water. The western branch of the Isolation Trail didn't appear to be getting much traffic or maintenance - it was muddy in places and had several blowdowns. It's definitely the more isolated way to do the peak.

We hiked the Isolation Trail west in July 2005. At that time, there had been no work done on that trail in a long time. So overgrown that it was hard to find the trail in places.

Has this changed?

I went to Isolation via Glen Boulder on Saturday and descended Isolation West for about a half mile or so, looking for some unusual views. What little I saw of the trail seemed to be in decent shape. Although somewhat narrow, it was no harder to follow than the east branch. Judging by the lack of blowdowns, I would say that it had received *some* maintenance. Down low may be a different story. Peaks - did you find that the conditions significantly improved as you approached the junction with the Davis Path, or was it uniformly bad?

What a weekend!

We did take the Ammo over to the Camel to Davis. We saw few people all morning until we got to the summit of Isolation. Many people told me I was crazy for taking this route, but I liked it, crazy or not!

Here are our pictures from Isolation and Carrigain, Charlie's 47th and 48th. What a weekend!!!

Congrats to Charlie! Great to see you two on Isolation, what a day for a hike!
Looks like a fun route, you get it all on a day like that. Hope to see you out there this winter.