J&J&J&J Hike Mt. Hale's Firewarden Trail (NH), 03/08/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
J&J&J&J Hike Mt. Hale's Firewarden Trail (NH), Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dictated by rocket21's hiking stunt double

Mount Hale, referred to herein as "Mt. Hale," is a 4,054' peak located in the White Mountains. Named after legendary actor Alan Hale Jr. (referred to herein as "The Skipper"), the peak normally features minimal views.

7 Dwarfs, also known as the Seven Dwarfs, is a motel that provides plowed parking and a base lodge with food for $6.

J&J&J&J, also known as J4 or 4J, are J&J (J&J; John & June) & J (1HappyHiker; John), & J (rocket21; Jeremy) left the 7 Dwarfs around 9:30 (formerly known as 8:30), en route to Mt. Hale.

What happens if you refuse to pay the $6?
alanhale01.jpg

Along the way, we decided to stop by the set of the Partridge Family show, where I exhumed my Chris Partridge character (I was replaced by Brian Foster in 1971).
alanhale02.jpg

After checking out the abandoned school bus near the abandoned bridge, we took an abandoned herd path to a seasonally abandoned Haystack Road, soon reaching the seasonally abandoned North Twin parking lot.
alanhale03.jpg

1Gleeful Hiker, J, J

There were some signs of previous flooding along the North Twin Trail - looking like a combination of melted ice cream and a luge run:
alanhale04.jpg

J, J, 1JollyHiker

Soon, it was time to take attendance and get ready to ascend the Firewarden's Trail
alanhale05.jpg

1PeppyHiker, J, J
alanhale06.jpg

1ElatedHiker, J, J

It was a gloomy morning weatherwise. I think that the problem may have been that there was a Stonehenge monument on the summit that was in danger of being crushed by hikers ascending from the 7 Dwarfs. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object.
alanhale07.jpg

J, J, 1ChirpyHiker

The Fawlty Tower on Hale was actually quite huge, providing for potentially good views. Size didn't matter in the fog, however. That is, until the clouds started to move out:
mthalesummit-2009-0308a.jpg

Just to give an idea of how tall the structure is:
alanhale08.jpg

I started to sing The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle (in honor of Alan Hale, Jr.), but 1MirthfulHiker interjected by shouting my vocal talent, "sounds like somebody machine-gunning a seal!"

Unlike the Castaways, we were determined not to get stranded during our 7 hour tour. The weather started getting un-rough:
mthaletrail-2009-0308a.jpg

alanhale09.jpg

J, J, 1ConvivialHiker

Back on the herd path between the parking lot and snowmobile trail, J&J and 1VociferousHiker demanded I remove this blowdown:
alanhale10.jpg

As a postscript, rocket21's stunt double died when he spontaneously combusted in a bizarre trail maintenance accident. Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported. Authorities said... best leave it... unsolved.

Last edited:
You have to be a Partridge Family aficionado to get the Brian Foster reference. Seen one too many episodes have you??

Well, I can only respond to Jeremy’s Trip Report by saying the following.
Hiking with Jeremy is a “trip” unto itself, sort of like to stepping into an alternative universe!
In addition to frequent chatter about episodes from old TV sit-coms intermixed with outbursts related to pop-culture, Professor Rocket also exhibits an in-depth knowledge of bits ‘n bobs about the White Mountains far beyond what one would expect from someone who’s enviably only in his mid 20s! And added to all this, he’s a super strong hiker (as anyone knows who’s ever hiked with him :)). So, he’s got all the ingredients of a rising young superstar, i.e. vibrant personality, brawn, brains, beauty (well, I guess that’s taking it a step too far!).

Jeremy has already experienced a brief rocket-ride into fame. His recounting of the now legendary Zealand moose-attack made front page news in the NH Union-Leader, plus landed a spot on MSNBC’s website. However, we are all hoping that Jeremy doesn’t fall victim to the “bling-bling” subculture of the Hollywood crowd and succumb to unsavory acts to add to his fame. I mention this only because I noticed a bit of “nudge-nudge, wink-wink” between Jeremy and Franz (CEO of the 7 Dwarfs) as they pointed to a moose head on the lobby wall of 7 Dwarf’s corporate headquarters. Nah! Surely there were no plans in the works to replace the current moose head with that of the Zealand moose!
100_1118.JPG

NOTICE to all animal-lovers (of which Jeremy is one): None of the animals shown in the photo above were actually harmed. Each one is still fully intact. The remainder of their body is actively doing “business” in the restroom (see sign to the left of photo).

Last edited:
while Ginger is all about the glitz

Mary Anne proved herself time and time again as the "nicest to have around"

looks like she is getting some competition from a mirthfull hiker....:)

nice report and sub plots about a real sweet trail

what is up with that bus anyway.....

Moose

From the look on that moose's face I would say he's having a very satisfying visit. I knew right away that this wasn't my trained attack moose I sent after Jeremy on Z-Trail. Taught him to not invite me!

KDT

Jeremy, what can I say, nothing I write would be as witty as I'd wish it to be.

Congratulations on another great hike and yet another fantastic TR with pictures. :D